Argus story On SDSU Recruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus story On SDSU Recruit

Here is the Argus story on Ms. Grimsrud, top player in South Dakota Class A.  Note her comments about the move to D1.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayfeature.shtml

Champion at heart
    Wade Merry
    Argus Leader

published: 4/9/2004

Sisseton's Grimsrud helped team nab 3 of the past 4 Class A titles

No different than anyone else who plays the game, Courtney Grimsrud grew up dreaming of winning state basketball championships.

Last month in Aberdeen, the 6-foot-2 senior standout from Sisseton ended her high school career exactly as she hoped, holding aloft a Class A state championship trophy. However, this story is better. Grimsrud didn't just play on a state winning team this season. She felt the exhilaration of winning three times over.

When Sisseton cut down the nets at the Barnett Center following their 68-56 win over Pine Ridge, it marked the third time in her four-year varsity career that Grimsrud and the Redmen ended a season better than anyone else in their class. With Grimsrud in the starting lineup, Sisseton was 89-7. The South Dakota State-bound star averaged 17.8 points and 10.2 rebounds a game as the Redmen went 23-1 and were ranked No. 1 all season in the South Dakota Sportswriters Association poll.

"It has been a long ride and a fun ride, but now it's time to move on," said Grimsrud, who is the Argus Leader girls basketball player of the year.

Move on she must, but not before a look at the trip she took to get this far.

Grimsrud, the oldest of four children, moved into the starting lineup as a freshman and never left her post, finishing her four years with 1,809 points, 1,181 rebounds and 558 blocked shots. Only a 41-38 loss to Tri-Valley in the state title game her junior year kept Grimsrud and the Redmen from making a complete sweep.

"The first one was really special because it the first one and we weren't expected to win," Grimsrud said. "We were not even expected to be there. This year was real special, too."

That loss to Tri-Valley, more than anything, propelled Sisseton to this latest title, the school's fourth.

"After last year, we knew we either had to get it done this year or it's over," said Grimsrud, who wants to major in pharmacy at SDSU.

All dynasties start somewhere, and this one began in the fifth grade. The Swoops, as they were known then, consisted of Grimsrud, Beth Ebert, Kayla Fitz, Ashley and Amber Harles, Angela Thelin, and others. That core of girls, now all seniors, shared in the glory at Sisseton.

"We all dreamed about winning a state championship," Grimsrud said. "We made that dream a reality."

Grimsrud refuses to claim the lion's share of the team's success.

"They all are responsible for our winning," Grimsrud said. "Angela is an excellent defender - you'll never find a better defender than her. Beth hits a lot of big shots, and Ashley always took care of the ball and always stepped up on defense. And maybe Kayla Fitz didn't always score a lot, but she was there with me in the post. She was the one constant we always had."

Sisseton coach Cal Schubert had the privilege of seeing Grimsrud each and every day on the basketball floor.

"She worked harder than any girl I have ever coached," said Schubert, who ran his record to 199-65 in 12 seasons at Sisseton. "She was a real leader, and she is someone who just enjoys basketball."

Grimsrud's basketball career will likely continue for a few more years just a couple of hours south in Brookings.

"South Dakota State just seemed like a good fit," Grimsrud said. "The basketball program is good, obviously. And with them going to Division I, I am looking forward to going up to the next level."

That move to Division I means Grimsrud will not compete for a national championship. It doesn't matter.

"It's going to be an exciting step for them, and I am glad I will be a part of that," Grimsrud said. "When you think about it realistically, the first five years they won't be in the NCAA tournament, but we will still be able to play in the NIT. And I think winning that is a realistic goal."

Sounds like another dream. But remember how the last one turned out.  

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

Re: Argus story On SDSU Recruit

Good stuff, I really liked this part:

"South Dakota State just seemed like a good fit," Grimsrud said. "The basketball program is good, obviously. And with them going to Division I, I am looking forward to going up to the next level."

That move to Division I means Grimsrud will not compete for a national championship. It doesn't matter.

"It's going to be an exciting step for them, and I am glad I will be a part of that," Grimsrud said. "When you think about it realistically, the first five years they won't be in the NCAA tournament, but we will still be able to play in the NIT. And I think winning that is a realistic goal."

I like Courtney already! Correct me if I am wrong, but if Courtney red shirts, her Sr. Year (2009) SDSU would be eligible for NCAA tournament.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Working...
    X