Sioux Falls Media gushes over D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sioux Falls Media gushes over D-I

Listening to the sports talk radio and reading the stories in the newspaper, it was plane to see that the Sioux Falls media was very excited about the Hoffman twins picking D-I Texas State.  This is good news for us for as they did their research for their stories I can't help but think it may have opened some eyes as to where we are heading.  The interesting thing is that SDSU would beat Texas State any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Not saying that Texas State is bad, ok they had a rough season last year, I'm just saying that the Jackrabbits are better, RIGHT NOW before we are offically D-I!

Here is a link to, and excerpts from the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article1.shtml

Mitchell standouts taking games to Division I
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 4/15/2004

Hoffman twins sign to play basketball at Texas State-San Marcos

The courtship of the Hoffman twins from Mitchell ended Wednesday with one big question across the state.

Where in the world is Texas State-San Marcos?

They even asked it themselves at first, but they now know. The town of 30,000, nestled between Austin and San Antonio, will be the college basketball home for sisters Jeana and Jenna. The two signed their National Letter of Intent on Wednesday to play for the Bobcats this fall.

"I had personally never heard of this school or knew much about it or their conference," Jeana said. "But their coaching staff told us a lot about it and what it was like.

"It's been a big relief for us to have signed and have all that done. It was a hard decision for us, but we both feel really good about it."

Wednesday was the first day of the spring that high schoolers could officially commit to colleges. While most of the area's top players committed to schools in the fall signing period, the Hoffmans waited until after their senior season.

Their final choice was between Division I schools Texas State and Idaho, and the University of South Dakota in Division II.

The decision for 5-foot-9 Jenna and 5-8 Jeana came down to two things - getting a chance to stick together and an opportunity to play right away. The Bobcats lost four perimeter players to graduation this spring. . . .

Formerly Southwest Texas State, the 25,000-student school is a member of the Southland Conference. The Bobcats went 8-19 this season, but made the 2003 NCAA Women's Tournament with an 18-14 record (they lost 86-50 to LSU, which went to the Final Four this season). . . .

The twins were not a fit for the Jacks and eveyone conceded that the Jacks were never really interested.  So it is outstanding that the twins chose a school like Texas St.  It will only further the understanding of what it is to be D-I  (The Southland Conference and Texas St. play I-AA in football and are D-I in everything else, just like the Jacks).

Here is a link to Texas State's Women's basketball web site:

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/spo...4-schedule.htm

As you can see many of the names look familiar:  Montana St., UMKC, Oral Roberts, Northwest State, Nicholls St.   With a few big time names thrown in: Texas A&M, Arizona, TCU, Texas.  Our schedule will look very much like this soon.  The big difference between Texas State and South Dakota State, again as I see it, is that the Jackrabbits would take apart the Bobcats!

Good Luck to the Hoffman twins and Go Jackrabbits!

Go State!  

P.S. please also note that the twins would rather play for a Bad D-I team, then play for what has been a very good D-II team, (that was hard to type) the past few season's  (with the help of some Jackrabbit defectors), in the form of the USD Coyotes.  

Re: Sioux Falls Media gushes over D-I

While we are at it, check out Texas State's Arena and record crowds:

http://www.athletics.txstate.edu/fac...ancoliseum.htm

Again, not a knock, just saying that Frost is BIGGER and we have had much LARGER crowds.

Go State!

Comment

Well, you know it's all about playing for championships!
      /sarcasm
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have been in this venue, Its an AVERAGE D1 arena. Frost is larger, and much nicer. Frost is in the top 25% of all D1 arenas in the country IMO. Last week I was in Monroe, LA. and checked out the facilities of Univ. Louisiana-Monroe (D1A). Frost was way nicer, and believe it or not I would'nt trade Coughlin (as is) for their football stadium. I think people/media will come around fast to the D1 move when they finally discover SDSU has the facilities and ability to compete right away at that level. Texas St is such a good example of this. I'm sure people ooohhhhed and aaaahhhed when the Mitchell twins singed to play for the Bobcats. but upon further inspection... Mens top attendance in the past 22 years, 5591? Womens top attendance, 1321? (This school is within an hour of almost 5 million people) I guess if you arent playing for the Jackrabbits in Frost Arena, I would rather play at TSU instead of the grain bin.

Comment

Yet another example, from today's Argus, of media excitement over a local kid choosing to go to a D-I program:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Sa...article5.shtml

Lincoln volleyball player goes D-I

VOLLEYBALL: Lincoln high senior Sarah Johnson signed a Letter of Intent to play for the University of Missouri-Kansas City. The 5-foot-11 . . . hitter chose UKMC over East Tennessee State and Davidson.

http://umkckangaroos.collegesports.c...lley-body.html

Again good news for us that this story is news worthy because as most of you know UMKC plays in the Mid-Con.  One of the Conferences that SDSU could possibly be heading for.  Wasn't one of the arguments that the FES was making that South Dakota kids could not compete at the D-I level and so all of our athletes would come from out of state? : Looks to me like we will be giving South Dakota kids the option to play D-I closer to home! ;D

Go State!

Comment

I can't believe that Texas State hasn't had a record crowd ever in their arena, and there place has been open for over 20 years. Kind of sad, IMO. I'm also kind of surprised to see someone sign with UMKC. Maybe some of you KC Jackrabbits know, is UMKC good at anything?

Comment

UMKC good at anything. . .not that I am aware of.  I think their best sport is Men's soccer.  They have won a few Mid-Con Championships (of course not all Mid-Con Schools have Men's soccer teams) and they made it to the NCAA tournament this year.

http://umkckangaroos.collegesports.c...112203aab.html

Creighton's Second Half Offensive Explosion Eliminates Kangaroos From NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament
              UMKC finishes season on short end of 6-0 shutout

Nov. 22, 2003

Final Stats

OMAHA, Neb. - Creighton broke open a scoreless halftime tie and scored six second half goals to defeat UMKC, 6-0, in the first round of the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament at CU Soccer Stadium Saturday (Nov. 22).

The loss eliminates UMKC, 10-7-3, from the tournament and ends its season after the Kangaroos posted a 9-1-2 record in their previous 12 matches entering the 48-team tournament.

That is about it as far as I could remember or find on the net. Every Conference needs a Morningside, right.

Go State!

Comment

As the reality of having a DI team in the state sinks in I think the largest newspaper in the state will get on board. The editorial board at the Argus along with the mayor is pushing extremely hard for a new 12,000 seat arena in downtown Sioux Falls. I invision the Jacks playing a couple of games each year in this new venue
                when it becomes a reality. The Argus will cover what the masses are interested in and if SDSU is able to make this a smooth transition I'm confident the Sioux Falls Media will cover us with the same degreey that the Des Moines Register covers the Univ of Iowa and the Omaha Herald covers Nebraska.

Comment

I just made a post over on Other about USDSU that is making big plans for the future. The downtown arena could be part of that plan. There appears to be some serious support among the Minnehaha legislators about building a new big campus and maybe an athletic department. We might be smart not to offer a more courses in Sioux Falls if its going to help the developement of U of South Dakota-Sioux Falls.

Comment

What about what the athletes at SDSU feel about the move to division 1? Do you guys honestly believe that they are all happy about the move? Does anyone care what the current athletes think?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks12345
                      What about what the athletes at SDSU feel about the move to division 1?  Do you guys honestly believe that they are all happy about the move?  Does anyone care what the current athletes think?  
                      Dear Drive by Poster,

What does your question have to do with the subject of this thread ??? I think you ment to post under:

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Go State!

Comment

What about what the athletes at SDSU feel about the move to division 1?  Do you guys honestly believe that they are all happy about the move?  Does anyone care what the current athletes think?  
                        Oh hell, they all want to stay D2, they think they will win at least a dozen NC like they plan on doing at USD. We dont care what the athletes think. They get their scholarship money no matter what. Putting sarcasm aside, most favor the move to D1. Those that dont will be transferring to USD and Northern. Have we heard about any such transfers? No we havent, so does that tell you something JACK with granite city number?

Comment

Any athlete that has signed to play for us in the past 2 years knew we were going D1. Thats probably why most of them wanted to be a Jackrabbit in the first place.I dont think there are very many (or ANY) current student athletes at SDSU who dont think they can compete at a D1 level. They signed to play at SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY ! A D1 school. The ones with an inferiority complex are free to move on!! But none are- Are they!

Comment

We all care about the students and athletes at SDSU. Thats why we support the move to DI as fans and contributors to SDSU. Take a look at some of the previous posts and you will realize that many of us were passive in our giving to the university until the move to DI occurred. Why would the athletes be unhappy? We can all speculate but in reality they are young people and their feelings are often built on the feelings of those around them.

I suspect some may have been and may still be scared about the move to DI. This fear may make them unhappy. I certainly can understand if some of the women's BB players are worried about losing some fan support. However, this is about securing the future of SDSU and higher education in the state of SD. The research has been completed and the conclusion is that the benefits of moving to DI outweigh the risks.

The only opportunity the athletes will miss out on is a chance to play for a national title at a level lower than what they are capable of competing at. If this is what they desire then they can play at lower level school (and underachieve). This will only perpetuate the already exsisting inferiority complex so ingrained in the minds of some from our state. Sometimes people lose sight of "the forest for the trees". I think this is what has happened to jacks12345. We are just here to help. Stick around, learn, and help us make SDSU and the state of SD a better place. You will have to invest some time and energy in thought and reflection and, we also hope, some financial support. If not now, in the near future. Good question, but flawed logic.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am going to speculate that Jacks12345 is a UND fan.  Corella wrote this, on the same day that Jacks12345 posted and I called he/she a Drive by Poster, in response to Charger on the Sioux board:

"I trust what players say anyday over some "drive by poster", as people like you are so affectionately known on your board, such as yourself."

I could be wrong, but it kind of looks that way to me.  In case I am right and Corella comes back over, I would like to define what a "Drive by Poster" is to me.

A "Drive by Poster" is someone who does not register, usually pretends to be something that they are not (say a Jackrabbit fan or player), and usually post something that has nothing to do with the topic at hand (almost always something negative).  Charger would not fit any of this criteria over at Sioux Sports.  He is registered, says who and what he is . . . a Jackrabbits Fan, and his posts relate to the topic at hand.  

Thanks everyone for indulging my attempt to teach remotely.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                              X