• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 wins in 04-05?

I got hold of the entire Massey Ratings final men's basketball rating

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/cb-m.htm

and did some playing around.

(I know, I need a life).

SDSU finished 2003-04 at #171.  We have some interesting company in that tier:

Massey # School W L Div
    161 Oral Roberts 17 11 I
    162 Wyoming 11 17 I
    163 Concordia CA 30 4 NAIA I
    164 Ball St 14 15 I
    165 Arizona St 10 17 I
    166 Hofstra 14 15 I
    167 Southern Miss 13 15 I
    168 Ark Little Rock 17 12 I
    169 Arkansas St 17 11 I
    170 Bradley 15 16 I
    171 S Dakota St 27 7 II
    172 MA Lowell 28 5 II
    173 Humboldt St 27 5 II
    174 Loy Marymount 15 14 I
    175 KY Wesleyan 22 8 II
    176 Idaho 14 16 I
    177 SF Austin 21 9 I
    178 OK Baptist 29 5 NAIA I
    179 Marshall 12 17 I  
    180 Lewis 24 7 II
    There are any number of very interesting names in this group, and a number of conclusions.  First, SDSU probably could have won the NAIA Division I tournament, or at least given it a good run.  Second, SDSU is in some very good D-II company.  Third, SDSU's 2003-04 team might very well have been around .500 in Division I last year.

Here's where it gets interesting.  We all know that we're not going to get many D-I games at home...NDSU, maybe one or two others.  For the most part we're probably going to be playing NAIA-type schools in Frost next year.  Not many D-I teams are going to want to schedule an away game that won't count as a D-I game.  D-II teams don't have a big incentive, either, although Northern or Augie may do it for the paycheck.  

With a 28-game schedule, let's say we get 12 home games, and for sake of argument say we go 11-1.

That means 16 road games.  I'd hope most of them are against D-I competition, but let's be pessimistic and say we only get 8 D-I games,.  This is SDSU we're talking about, so let's say we win 3 of them.  That's 14-6.

The remaining 8 games are road contests against D-II and NAIA teams.  It seems reasonable that SDSU could win 6 of those 8 games.

20-8.

I'll take that record in Year One of the D-I transition.

"I think we'll be OK"

Re: 20 wins in 04-05?

even more interesting was the fact that metro finished number 31 in the ratings.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Thanks for the web site! Very interesting to see where the Jack Rabbit men's team fits in an evaluation of all the teams in the nation!

I looked around the sight and found the women's national rating at:

www.masseyratings.com/rate/cbw-m.htm

U. Conn #1, Tenn #2.................

Jack Rabbit women are rated # 94 just below Wisconsin # 92 and George Mason # 93. Looks like they might have done pretty well against division 1 competition last year too!

GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by JBNJBQ
        Thanks for the web site!  Very interesting to see where the Jack Rabbit men's team fits in an evaluation of all the teams in the nation!

I looked around the sight and found the women's national rating at:

www.masseyratings.com/rate/cbw-m.htm

U. Conn #1, Tenn #2.................

Jack Rabbit women are rated # 94 just below Wisconsin # 92 and George Mason # 93.  Looks like they might have done pretty well against division 1 competition last year too!

GO JACKS!

Welcome JBNJBQ! It is nice to have you on the board. You are member #100, Congrats! ;D Just wondering, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your user name?

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been watching the board for some time but when # 100 came up I just had to jump on board.

Jacks, Be Nimble! Jacks, Be Quick! (JBNJBQ)

It worked in D-II it will work in D-I just as well!

Go Jacks!

Comment

Ditto on the welcome to you, JBNJBQ.

I think the women have a good chance to make the Big Dance in '09 if AJ can hold it together through the probationary period and steal a girl or two from under the noses of the Gophers or the Hawkeyes. Wouldn't that be a story? Make it to the tournament in our first year of eligibility?

Meanwhile, there's the Women's NIT to shoot for.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
              Ditto on the welcome to you, JBNJBQ.

I think the women have a good chance to make the Big Dance in '09 if AJ can hold it together through the probationary period and steal a girl or two from under the noses of the Gophers or the Hawkeyes.  Wouldn't that be a story?  Make it to the tournament in our first year of eligibility?

Meanwhile, there's the Women's NIT to shoot for.
              Finding a couple of big time recruits is the key. Women's BB is much more about keeping the best local talent and then finding a diamond in the rough and bringing them in. No J.C. transfers and rarely school-to-school moves. Granted, things have changed significantly in the last 10 years and the day may come when women's BB looks like men's does today. Right now SDSU needs to add a more talented frontcourt player and find or develop (Vogel) one of the frontcourt players into the primary scorer/court leader. Things really look good for the Jacks women to be more than just competative.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SDSU fan,

How come when I go to the Recruiting website TheInsidershoops.com and look at the commit list of 2004 do I see that you have signed no one that they considered worthy of their site? On the other hand, NDSU has five recruits listed, three of which are two stars. Even Northern Colorado which sucks at b-ball had one two star recruit. Hell, even UNO got a D1 transfer from Drake who started ten games for them.
                         You finished off last year on a horrible note and now you are trying to convince me that you are going to win 20 games in D1. I know, I know, your savior Matt Jones will come through for you. Gimme a break. Your hallowed basketball program which you hang your hat on is going to be medicore at best over the next few years and you know it.
                           Hey, look at the bright side, that womens equestrian team could have you talking about horses rather than rabbits. I can't believe that you are doing research to find out which colleges have the best equestrian teams. How is recruiting going for that? I hear that Mr. Ed has a few years of eligibility left. Is Seattle Slew still alive?  As much crap as ESPN has broadcasted over the years, I don't recall seeing the NCAA Equestrian championships being broadcast, not even on tape delay.
                                Come on , you are D1 now. You hillbillies can do better than that. Don't let us lowly D2 schools show you up.

Maverick

P.S.  Don't tell me to leave your board. This is the D1AA football board.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavericks#1
                  SDSU fan,

How come when I go to the Recruiting website TheInsidershoops.com and look at the commit list of 2004 do I see that you have signed no one that they considered worthy of their site? On the other hand, NDSU has five recruits listed, three of which are two stars. Even Northern Colorado which sucks at b-ball had one two star recruit. Hell, even UNO got a D1 transfer from Drake who started ten games for them.
                           You finished off last year on a horrible note and now you are trying to convince me that you are going to win 20 games in D1. I know, I know, your savior Matt Jones will come through for you. Gimme a break. Your hallowed basketball program which you hang your hat on is going to be medicore at best over the next few years and you know it.
                             Hey, look at the bright side, that womens equestrian team could have you talking about horses rather than rabbits. I can't believe that you are doing research to find out which colleges have the best equestrian teams. How is recruiting going for that? I hear that Mr. Ed has a few years of eligibility left. Is Seattle Slew still alive?  As much crap as ESPN has broadcasted over the years, I don't recall seeing the NCAA Equestrian championships being broadcast, not even on tape delay.
                                  Come on , you are D1 now. You hillbillies can do better than that. Don't let us lowly D2 schools show you up.

Maverick

P.S.  Don't tell me to leave your board. This is the D1AA football board.
                  Slow day on the UNO board? Oh yea that's right no one cares enough about your D-II school to have a board. I know you might find this hard to believe but no one here is trying to convince you of anything, because we don't care what you think.

I know the NDSU board has a section for smack, but you might notice that the SDSU board does not. If you want to have an intelligent conversation please feel free to stop by. If you just want to smack go somewhere else.

Lastly if you can't refrain from smack, let me dirrect you to your section of the board.

http://diaafootball.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1078424916

Comment

I was talking to a IUPU Ft. Wayne guy on another board and did a little research using the Massey Ratings. Texas_Jacks_Fan and I have been saying that we have seen many of the Mid-Con and Big Sky schools play and that we feel that SDSU is ready to compete today. Looks like the Massey Ratings bare witness to our contention.

SDSU is ranked # 171

Big Sky

126 Eastern Washington
                    194 Weber St.
                    208 N. Arizona
                    233 Sac State
                    254 Montana St.
                    276 Idaho St.
                    281 Portland St.
                    292 Montana

Mid-Con

127 IUPUI
                    133 Valpo
                    161 Oral Roberts
                    189 Centenary
                    190 UMKC
                    218 Oakland
                    229 Chicago St.
                    291 Southern Utah
                    578 Western Ill.

We would be #2 in the Big Sky and #4 in the Mid-Con. Just some fun facts to look at.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Here's how our women's team rates against the Mid Continent Conference and Big Sky Conference teams, according to the Massey Ratings.

Mid Continent:

1. SDSU 94
                      2. Western Ill 97
                      3. Valpo 108
                      4. Oakland 134
                      5. UMKC 145
                      6. Oral Roberts 154
                      7. Southern Utah 158
                      8. IUPUI 308
                      9. Chicago ST. 359
                      10. Centenary 455

Big Sky:

1. Montana 46
                      2. SDSU 94
                      3. Idaho St. 100
                      4. Weber St. 122
                      5. Montana St. 207
                      6. Eastern Wash 209
                      7. Northern Az. 226
                      8. Portland St. 361
                      9. Sac St. 592

Can hardly wait until next year to go head to head with some D-! teams. I think both the men and women will make us proud, as always.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                      X