Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU HIRES NEW MENS BB ASSISTANT

From the Fargo Forum:
    Coach Phillips is replacing a very good assistant coach. Craig Smith was a big part of Miles sucess so far and always come across on the WDAY interviews as a sharp guy.

SDSU should not be too worried about coaches leaving as there are always good candidates looking for a job.

Bison basketball hires assistant coach
    By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
    Published Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Saul Phillips is moving down in the Division I ranks, but moving up in responsibility.

He was named an assistant men's basketball coach at North Dakota State on Monday, coming from a University of Wisconsin program that lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament this March. NDSU begins its Division I transition next fall.

Phillips accepted the Bison post because of the job description.

"It allows me to do more on the court and to get out and recruit more," he said. "It will allow me to grow more in the profession. When you stop learning in this business, you're done."

He replaces Craig Smith, who was named the head coach at Mayville State (N.D.) last month.

Phillips was at Wisconsin for three years. Before that, he was an assistant at Wisconsin-Milwaukee for two years, Lake Superior State (Mich.) for two years and was a graduate assistant under Greg McDermott at Wayne State (Neb.). McDermott coached at NDSU for one year before moving on to Northern Iowa.

"He's worked for a lot of great people," said NDSU head coach Tim Miles.

Miles and Phillips first talked about the position at the NCAA Final Four in San Antonio.

Phillips said NDSU's move to Division I was a plus despite the possibility of scheduling headaches and post-season probation.

"Every time something happens, you're rewriting the history books and that's a lot of fun," he said. "(But) you can't lose sight of what's important and that's coaching kids."

Phillips played collegiately at Wisconsin-Platteville and was the captain of a Division III national championship team in 1995.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546
    ©2004  Forum Communications Co. Fargo, ND 58102 — All rights reserved  Media Partners: The Forum | WDAY TV 6 | WDAY 970 AM | WDAZ TV 8
    The Forum: Home Delivery | eEdition  
Working...
X