Where are the Recruits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the Recruits?

Hey guys, I was just wondering about your recruiting class for this year in Mens bball. I saw on the SDSU website that you"ve only signed two recruits this season and if I remember right the late signing period ends next week. Whats the deal? Does Nagy have some recruits on the leash that just haven't committed, or is he having trouble getting D-I caliber recruits to sign. I would think that with the increasing scholarship limits he would sign at least one more this season if not 2 or three to sign his max limit with the 5/8 rule (if it stays intact). I was sure before the signing season that you guys would sign much better recruits than NDSU, but now I'm not so sure if you will. If you have any info I would appreciate it!

Re: Where are the Recruits?

Originally posted by NCCfanattic
    Hey guys, I was just wondering about your recruiting class for this year in Mens bball.  I saw on the SDSU website that you"ve only signed two recruits this season and if I remember right the late signing period ends next week.  Whats the deal?  Does Nagy have some recruits on the leash that just haven't committed, or is he having trouble getting D-I caliber recruits to sign.  I would think that with the increasing scholarship limits he would sign at least one more this season if not 2 or three to sign his max limit with the 5/8 rule (if it stays intact).  I was sure before the signing season that you guys would sign much better recruits than NDSU, but now I'm not so sure if you will.  If you have any info I would appreciate it!
    Honestly we already have a better class then NDSU.  Landon Scott makes our class  better then the Bison by himself.  No disrespect intended towards the Bison, but Landon is that good.  Scott broke the all-time Sioux City scoring record held by Kirk Hinrich, who went on the play at Kansas and is now a Chicago Bull.

Matt Cadwell is rated right in-between all the NDSU recruits so he is a push.  

Finally Coach Nagy did say on KWSN that he is looking to fill one additional spot.  This fits into our plan to expand scholarships opportunities.  So we will have to wait and see who that additional D-I player is.  So bottom line is no problem signing D-I players here, but thanks for your concern.  :

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I agree with 89rabbit, two great D-I signees added to the four D-1 signees last year added to the rest of the team (many of which could have played D-I but chose STATE) puts us in really good shape for next year! If Scott can sign just one additional quality player for the 5 spot we will be set! Here is the math:

2004-2005 SDSU ROSTER:

6 QUALITY 1 AND 2 SPOT PLAYERS

5 QUALITY 3 AND 4 SPOT PLAYERS

2 QUALITY 5 SPOT PLAYERS

THAT ADDS UP TO TROUBLE FOR OUR OPPONENTS.

Comment

2004-2005 SDSU ROSTER:

6 QUALITY 1 AND 2 SPOT PLAYERS

5 QUALITY 3 AND 4 SPOT PLAYERS

2 QUALITY 5 SPOT PLAYERS
        We might disagree on the definition of quality for some of these players (Your 6'11" center for one).

Also, I think that 2 "Quality" 5 spot players equals a severe lack of depth for true post players on the team. Now that your in D-I teams won't be as forgiving when your playing 6'6" or 6'7" kids as centers.

Comment

Also, I think that 2 "Quality" 5 spot players equals a severe lack of depth for true post players on the team.  Now that your in D-I teams won't be as forgiving when your playing 6'6" or 6'7" kids as centers.
          I guess that shows you what you know about D-I basketball.   Every school is looking for that 6'10" (or better) kid who can play the 5 spot.  If you have two you are in good shape.  Here are the rosters for UNI, Eastern Washington, and Valpo.  Check them out.  They all made the big dance with only 2 big men:

http://www.valpo.edu/athletics/index...d=2&a2=vrs

http://athletics.ewu.edu/MBasketball/04mbrost.htm

http://www.unipanthers.com/athletics...p;sportCatId=2

Go State!  ;D

Comment

I guess that shows you what you know about D-I basketball. Every school is looking for that 6'10" (or better) kid who can play the 5 spot. If you have two you are in good shape. Here are the rosters for UNI, Eastern Washington, and Valpo. Check them out. They all made the big dance with only 2 big men:
            I guess that shows what you know about your team. Go to this link and see how many 6'10" kids there are that can play. I count 0. I've seen the Dejong kid play, and he was a non-factor in the NCC, let alone D-I bball. If you guys are pinning your hopes on him then you're in trouble. The only thing I can think of is that Nagy is putting his hopes on Jones, which I think would be interesting to see how he does.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...ster/Index.cfm

Comment

NCCfanattic,

Whats your definition of a quality BB conference? I haven't seen much consistency out of NCC BB teams with the exception of one program, and like any DII program with respect for itself, we are moving on.

Sorry for your loss (not really) and sorry about the feelings of emptiness and inadequacy you are experiencing (really). So, spend your time worrying more about the title IX difficulties and the NAIA and DIII competition at the less progressive NCC universities that SDSU and NDSU are leaving behind and less time about a quality institution that you could only wish you were associated with.

Those of us who have the courage, intelligence, and foresight to aspire to be the best and achieve the move to DI, will take care of the recruiting and financial difficulties that are expected with the move. We sure as hell don't want your opinions and backwards thinking slowing us down.

So, go back to cheering for UNO, USD, Peru St, and Upper Iowa. We would like to offer the students and fans in S.D. (and surrounding states) the opportunity to see DI quality athletics on a weekly basis. This might not happen right away, but it will happen. Whether you and your dimwitted buddies (you know who you are) like it or not. Go scout the rest of the NCC and DIII and quit worrying so much about big brother. We'll be just fine.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I guess that shows what you know about your team.  Go to this link and see how many 6'10" kids there are that can play.  I count 0.  I've seen the Dejong kid play, and he was a non-factor in the NCC, let alone D-I bball.  If you guys are pinning your hopes on him then you're in trouble.  The only thing I can think of is that Nagy is putting his hopes on Jones, which I think would be interesting to see how he does.  

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...ster/Index.cfm
                NCCfanattic,

I hate to prove you wrong again . . . .ok that is not true I love to prove USD fans wrong, the only problem is it is to easy.   ;D

I provided you with the names of three schools that made the NCAA "Big Dance" with players of 6'10" and taller.  I provided you the links to those schools web sites.  For review we are talking about UNI with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, Eastern Washington with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, and Valpo with 1 kid at 6'10" or taller.  SDSU has 1 kid 6'10" or taller.  Now I guess I am going to have to bottle feed you some more and show you why your theory on what SDSU needs is all wet.

2003/2004 Statistical Comparison:

UNI

Santos   (Did not play)

Godfread  25 games, 5.3 Min Avg.,
                0.6 pts Avg., 0.5 rebound Avg.

Eastern Washington

McCulloch  29 games, 8.0 Min Avg.,
                1.5 pts Avg., 1.0 rebounds Avg.

Smith  24 games, 10.5 Min Avg.,
                3.4 pts Avg., 2.3 rebound Avg.

Valpo

Griffith  Did not play

Just for fun lets do Valpo's next tallest guy Mbaye at 6'9"

Mbaye  27 games, 8.7 Min Avg.
                1.3 pts Avg., 2.0 rebound Avg.

SDSU

DeJong  33 games, 11.5 Min. Avg.,
                5.2 pts Avg., 3.5 rebound Avg.

Looks like we have a winner of the big men and it is DeJong of SDSU.  The loser in this case would be NCCfanattic and his theories on what SDSU needs to compeat at the next level.  If you are going to come on this board, you better know your stuff.  Better luck next time.   8)

Go State!

Comment

89, you're good.

You also obviously have too much time on your hands tonight. :-)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Getting ready for a business trip. :P

Comment

NCCfanattic,

I hate to prove you wrong again . . . .ok that is not true I love to prove USD fans wrong, the only problem is it is to easy.

I provided you with the names of three schools that made the NCAA "Big Dance" with players of 6'10" and taller. I provided you the links to those schools web sites. For review we are talking about UNI with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, Eastern Washington with 2 kids at 6'10" or taller, and Valpo with 1 kid at 6'10" or taller. SDSU has 1 kid 6'10" or taller. Now I guess I am going to have to bottle feed you some more and show you why your theory on what SDSU needs is all wet.

2003/2004 Statistical Comparison:

UNI

Santos (Did not play)

Godfread 25 games, 5.3 Min Avg.,
                      0.6 pts Avg., 0.5 rebound Avg.

Eastern Washington

McCulloch 29 games, 8.0 Min Avg.,
                      1.5 pts Avg., 1.0 rebounds Avg.

Smith 24 games, 10.5 Min Avg.,
                      3.4 pts Avg., 2.3 rebound Avg.

Valpo

Griffith Did not play

Just for fun lets do Valpo's next tallest guy Mbaye at 6'9"

Mbaye 27 games, 8.7 Min Avg.
                      1.3 pts Avg., 2.0 rebound Avg.

SDSU

DeJong 33 games, 11.5 Min. Avg.,
                      5.2 pts Avg., 3.5 rebound Avg.

Looks like we have a winner of the big men and it is DeJong of SDSU. The loser in this case would be NCCfanattic and his theories on what SDSU needs to compeat at the next level. If you are going to come on this board, you better know your stuff. Better luck next time.
                      I guess I don't really understand your point, so you'll have to help a "USD Fan" (What else could I be, I did ask about your situation with centers) out.

Is your point:

A. Jared Dejong is a better player than all of those listed because his D-2 comparitive stats are better than their D-I stats.

B. You don't really need a center to be a successful next season.

C. Other that I didn't understand.

If the answer is A or B you are definitely very wrong, but I'll wait to find out.

Jackmd-

I never even said anything about the D-I move being bad for SDSU, try to relax some, I don't care all that much, I think that the NCC will be fine, although not as good without NDSU and SDSU. I wasn't trying to bring down your move.

Comment

OK, my base point is, no need to worry about SDSU's recruiting.  Coach Nagy knows what he is doing.  My next point is that most teams at the D-I level get their "big man" productions from the 3 and 4 spots.  State has tons of D-I talent there.  You chose to pick on DeJong, and I was simply pointing out that he is roughly the same or better, as the 6'10" guys on teams in our area that made the Big Dance (UNI), and teams in the two most likely conf. that SDSU will be in (Eastern Washington-Big Sky, Valpo-MidCon). You seem to think that there are tons of quality 6'10" + guys out there and that SDSU is somehow missing the boat because now that we are D-I we don't have 4. I just wanted to let you know that you are wrong, that's all. I am trying to educate.

Thank you for your concern about SDSU, but we will be ok.  Does that help clear anything up?

Go State!  ;D

Comment

OK, my base point is, no need to worry about SDSU's recruiting. Coach Nagy knows what he is doing. My next point is that most teams at the D-I level get their "big man" productions from the 3 and 4 spots. State has tons of D-I talent there. You chose to pick on DeJong, and I was simply pointing out that he is roughly the same or better, as the 6'10" guys on teams in our area that made the Big Dance (UNI), and teams in the two most likely conf. that SDSU will be in (Eastern Washington-Big Sky, Valpo-MidCon). You seem to think that there are tons of quality 6'10" + guys out there and that SDSU is somehow missing the boat because now that we are D-I we don't have 4. I just wanted to let you know that you are wrong, that's all. I am trying to educate.

Thank you for your concern about SDSU, but we will be ok. Does that help clear anything up?

Go State!
                          Yeah that does clear everything up. I know that Nagy has been going pretty hard for the 6'7" foward type guys, and that the team is loaded with a lot of talented fowards. With the guards that you've signed, I think that you'll see a lot of success next year.

On another front I saw that USD has signed 7 players so far this year, and graduated only 3 after the last season. In addition, they already have 18 players listed on their roster (Not all made the team of course). It kind of sounds like Boots is trying to hit the jackpot and get another King. You guys should be glad he doesn't coach at SDSU.

Comment

To be honest with you I truly don't care what Boots does or doesn't do anymore. The SDSU program will overshadow USD and the other former NCC brethern in a few years and will be where all of the best players in the region will want to play. I think we have two outstanding guards coming into the program in Landon Scott and Matt Cadwell. We are loaded at the forward position with young players who were recruited with the DI move in mind. We would have never landed the four Iowa all-state players,Scott or Cadwell without the move. Wenig,Beran and Green gained a lot of experience in their Freshman year and will be counted on along with Moeller and Jones to carry us next year. We have the same problem that the majority of Division I schools have and that is having an athletic center that can dominate inside. I'm sure Nagy and Co. will continue to scout for a player that can fit this need. Maybe he is in Europe,JC or a project in High School who we can attempt to develop.

Comment

A final note. NDSU had a very succesful recruiting year. They also have more holes to fill than SDSU. While their football program got a jump on us with recruiting a number of DI athletes last year we were able to do better in 2003 with our Basketball recruiting. Nagy I'm sure is just looking for a couple of quality athletes that compliment the talent we have. I wouldn't define the number of recruits you sign a measure of whether you had a good or bad year of recruiting. Quality over Quanity. NCC Fanatic I would be more concerned about what Augie is doing as I think they have had an outstanding year of recruiting and Biliter will turn that program around and give USD all they want.

Comment

Working...
                              X