• Show
Clear All

• Big man transfers to Montana St.

Dark Horses

Mark Bennett
    Ted Morris heads west to "play, win"
    Mark Bennett/Tribune-Star

May 20, 2004

Ted Morris is headed for wide open spaces.

The 6-foot-10, 230-pound center, who spent his first two college basketball seasons at Indiana State, will transfer to Montana State. Under NCAA transfer rules, he'll sit out games in 2004-05 and then become eligible to play for the Bobcats in 2005-06.

His goals, aside from finishing his degree in political science and history, are simple.

"I'd like to play, and I'd like to win some games," Morris said Wednesday from his home in St. Louis. "Those are the two things I'm hoping for."

Those goals were tough to come by last season. Morris played in 24 of ISU's 28 games, and started five times. He averaged 3.7 points, 2.2 rebounds and 10.8 minutes per game. After the Sycamores finished with records of 9-19 overall and 5-13 in the Missouri Valley Conference last season, he decided he would leave the program after the spring semester, citing disappointment in his lack of progress.

"A lot of Division II schools called me, but I wanted to stay Division I and I wanted to go out west," Morris said.

He also considered Northern Arizona.

At Montana State, he'll play under Coach Bob Durham, who's been at the Bozeman-based university since 1990. Durham's son Casey will be a freshman guard for the Bobcats this fall. The lone returning center on the Bobcats roster is 6-10, 255-pound junior-to-be Matt Towsley. They also signed a 6-11, 210-pound junior-college center, Alioune Beye.

Last season, the Bobcats finished 14-13 overall and 6-8 in the Big Sky Conference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like they will have plenty of big/tall players. 210lb and 230lb isn't real solid but I suspect they'll get some minutes out of these guys. I like the quote about staying at a DI school. Too bad Andy Moeller doesn't have that desire.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Working...
X