Gross finalist for Hodge Trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross finalist for Hodge Trophy

Hodge trophy is basically the Heisman of wrestling. Fan vote goes through this Friday.

The winner will be announced on Tuesday, March 27. The winner of the fan vote will earn two first-place votes among the total ballots from a group of formal voters which includes each former Hodge Trophy winner, national media, representatives of national wrestling organizations and retired former college coaches from different regions.

Link
    https://www.win-magazine.com/2018-wi...ophy-fan-vote/h

Re: Gross finalist for Hodge Trophy

Vote!

https://www.win-magazine.com/2018/03...sics-fan-vote/

Comment

Originally posted by AmberValley View Post
      Done! When I did it Seth was in first of ASU's Valencia. The two Penn State guys were way behind. I could see Seth winning the fan vote. With him bumping up to 141 to face Meredith earlier this year he earned a lot of respect not to mention put himself in the spotlight big time.

It was interesting to see the two Penn State wrestlers so far behind. I can see most college wrestling fans voting against those guys especially after Nickal's victory speech on Saturday night.

Comment

Just voted. Seth is still in first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
          Just voted. Seth is still in first.
          Seth 167 votes and the ASU guy has 150. You can vote only once with your email addee.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Seth 167 votes and the ASU guy has 150. You can vote only once with your email addee.
            It appears vote totals must not update in real time, as I just voted, and Gross still had 167 with Valencia at 150. Checked email to see if it was one of those polls where you had to confirm valid email address before vote counts, and I have not received a message from them.

Hopefully by tomorrow, Gross' total will have increased with Valencia's remaining at 150.

Comment

Mine just showed 5000 people have voted for the Penn State 149 pounder with Seth 2000 votes behind.

Comment

Decided to go back and check it, and it has definitely updated. Unfortunately, Seth has fallen behind by nearly 2000 votes. Totals stand as followed:

Seth Gross, So. Dakota State 30%- 3162 votes

Bo Nickal, Penn State 9%- 882 votes

Zain Retherford, Penn State 49%- 5125 votes

Zahid Valencia, Arizona State 12%- 1201 votes

Although they are all great wrestlers, I do believe Seth moving up to wrestle another #1 ranked wrestler in a different weight class should give him more of a push for the award. On the other hand, Zain has had an incredible career and capped it off with another championship, so he is very deserving and wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the recipient (being the only senior doesn't hurt his chances, either.)
                Rollin' in my 5.0
                With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

I heard over the weekend from someone within the wrestling community that this award has rarely ever gone to a non-senior. So I wouldn't get your hopes up that Seth will get it this year. Next year though - defend and win this award! He said as much in his post match press conference. If you haven't seen that yet, it is worth your time. Great example of what our student-athletes represent.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                    Decided to go back and check it, and it has definitely updated. Unfortunately, Seth has fallen behind by nearly 2000 votes. Totals stand as followed:

Seth Gross, So. Dakota State 30%- 3162 votes

Bo Nickal, Penn State 9%- 882 votes

Zain Retherford, Penn State 49%- 5125 votes

Zahid Valencia, Arizona State 12%- 1201 votes

Although they are all great wrestlers, I do believe Seth moving up to wrestle another #1 ranked wrestler in a different weight class should give him more of a push for the award. On the other hand, Zain has had an incredible career and capped it off with another championship, so he is very deserving and wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the recipient (being the only senior doesn't hurt his chances, either.)
                    I love SDSU wrestling and Seth Gross as much as anyone, but Zain Retherford is at another level and is most deserving of this award. Next year, it's Seth award to win.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      I heard over the weekend from someone within the wrestling community that this award has rarely ever gone to a non-senior. So I wouldn't get your hopes up that Seth will get it this year. Next year though - defend and win this award! He said as much in his post match press conference. If you haven't seen that yet, it is worth your time. Great example of what our student-athletes represent.
                      He's taken his second chance and turned it into something special. At this point in history Seth has to be the greatest Jackrabbit ever. National champion who dominated his weight class and a top four finalist for wrestling's equivalent of the Heisman trophy.

Comment

Working...
                      X