D I opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D I opponents

I was listening to Sports Talk radio here in the KC area and they had the new University of Kansas AD on.  Lou Perkins.  He said they where looking for a couple more games for '03-'04.  Although he is from back east (Mass. I think) he went to Iowa and his wife is from Watertown, SD.  Who knows maybe we could use the connection to get a game.  It would be a long shot but worth a try.  Just thought it would be fun to play the Jayhawks again.  

What D I school  would you like to see the Rabbits play?

Go Jacks!

Re: D I opponents

He was AD at Connecticut. Didn't know his wife was from Watertown. Who knows, that might be enough to swing a home-and-home with the Jayhawks. Although I'm of two minds about hearing the Rock Chalk in Frost Arena . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would like to see some of the regional Big Ten and Big 12 teams such as Minnesota,Iowa,Iowa State,Wisconsin,Nebraska, Yes, I it would be fun to play an annual powerhouse such as Kansas. I went to womens game with Minnesota and SDSU and it was quite a rush to see the Jacks be very competitive against a Top 25 D1 opponent.

Comment

JackGuy:
        I have often wondered if we got any guarentee money for the exhibition games with the Gophers and Drake. I would hope we did and maybe travel expenses at a minimum.

But now we can let them beat up on us for a few years and collect big time in the form of a guarentee.  This next year would be a good time to take on Kansas. We would at least see where we are as a program.

We got a number of good checks up through the early 1980's in being target practice for the big boys(B10 and B8).
        That 1985 game was kind of a "what if" game.

I recall USD in 1957 upset the Badgers, but that was an exception game, that included Brooking's Roger Nelson.
        About the only thing I liked about USD was their 1958 National Champ team. They had 5 seniors who played together for 3 years and did not need a coach, and those guys could go 40 minutes with out a sub.  SDSU lost both games to USD, we were kind of down that year.  That was one year we did not make the Regionals, but USD did and went all the way.

So much for the past, but I hope 2004-05 includes Valpariso on the schedule. Thats a great program and will be our new Augie if we get in the Mid Continent.
        They are a Lutheran school  enrollment 3600 and the son of the head coach is going to get the Baylor job.  What challenge for that young man.  Looks like he will build a team from scratch.

Comment

UNC released their '03-'04 Basketball schedule. They have 8 DI schools on it (more if you count the other schools that are moving up and in transition period). Some of the big names are Iowa State, Colorado, and Loyola Marymont.

Go SDSU!

Comment

The AD said he has a contract on his desk from Fresno State for invitation tourney in the 2004-05 season.

Comment

Our AD Fred Oien?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                The AD said he has a contract on his desk from Fresno State for invitation tourney in the 2004-05 season.
                Do you know who else would be there?

Go SDSU!

Comment

89 Rabbit

Thats all I know for now. I sure we will find out more in months to come.

Comment

Still that is very exciting news. I think it helps our marketability that we are a State Univeristy. What I mean is South Dakota State University sounds more impressive then many directional schools or private schools with names you have not heard of.

It is nice to see that things are going so well for us as we approach other D I schools about games. I couldn't be more proud of the job that Dr. Oien is doing.

Go SDSU!

Comment

It sounds like most of the home games next year will be against D2 schools and most of the road games will be against D1 competition. Keith Mahlum told me we don't count next year for RPI ratings but we do the following year. so that has hampered some scheduling. We are confirmed in the Fresno tourney but I'm unsure who else will be there. Our Athletic Dept. has BIG plans for the basketball schedule in the coming couple of years with some very major schools and some Big 12/Big 10 games. Our basketball schedule in 2 years should be very entertaining home and away.
                      VERY exciting stuff-I cant wait to be a part of this !!!!!!!
                      GO SDSU

Comment

The Greely Tribune had a recent article about the D1 basketball scheduling. Its very interesting.

Here is the link;

http://www.greeleytrib.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/110220022

Comment

Tried the link. That dog won't hunt.

Comment

UNC has done really good in scheduling, especially considering they aren't a basketball school. Nine DI opponets and game guarantees in three of them worth $85,000 is not too bad. Especially getting paid $25,000 to drive to Boulder and play a game. I would think SDSU would be able to do atleast this good, if not better. It basically sounds like we will face some good DI teams on the road and play all D2 teams at home for the first year, but Fred sounded really excited and optimistic about the progress the coaches have made in scheduling so far. I guess we'll see when the schedule comes out next year.

Comment

I got the link to work now, site must have been down earlier, sorry. UNC has done well. And we're a lot better than they are, a much longer tradition of excellence.

Comment

Working...
                              X