Questions regarding recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding recruiting

Don't know if any of you can answer these questions, but here goes.

Which summer camps do Nagy and his staff attend i.e. Nike, Reebok, etc..?? Can we really compete for the kids who are invited to theses camps?? Who does Nagy have besides Troy Larsen and what is the recruiting budget like?

Here is a list from the Bisonville site (Bisonmav) with some potential recruits. A lot of kids list NDSU, only the first lists SDSU. Anyone have any incite regarding this??

List from the Insiders:

PF NR Sam Sussenguth(Willmar Sr.)
    Willmar, MN 6-8/200/- Med No North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State

PF NR Travis Nelson(Linn-Mar HS)
    Marion, IA 6-8/195/- Med No Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, North Dakota State

SG NR Travis Brown(Richfield Sr.)
    Richfield, MN 6-4/180/- Med Yes Creighton, Indiana State, Kansas State, North Dakota State, Valparaiso

SF NR Kori Vernon(Memorial HS)
    Madison, WI 6-8/220/14.0 Med No Ball State, Bradley, Idaho, North Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois, Wichita State, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin-Milwaukee

SG NR Kyle Julius(Naperville Central HS)
    Naperville, IL -/-/- Med No North Dakota State

SF NR Andrew Henke(Hopkins Sr.)
    Minnetonka, MN 6-5/195/9.0 Low No Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin-Green Bay, North Dakota State

SF NR Andy Wills(Mankato West Sr.)
    Mankato, MN -/-/- Med No Creighton, Drake, Indiana State, Iowa, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Questions regarding recruiting

Jackmd:
    I was in the golf Group with Troy Larson at Volga and he told me that Coach Nagy and he were spliting up and going different places. Coach Nagy he said was going to Nike one in Las Vegas. Also mentioned that they would take in the Doug Koster tourney Kearney Nebraska and several AAU. He did not mention Reebok but I have been to the Nike one several years back. Its kind of interesting to watch and watch coaches watch players.

I dont know about the others, but I am sure they are making the rounds.  I believe some of the grad assistants might help too, at least I would think so.

So I am sure the coaches are out and about recruiting. Tim Miles appears to be working harder, but then maybe thats what he needs to do.

Comment

I'm not sure how a recriut is listed on the Insiders.com. I assume for the lesser known prospects that someone must contact the website and let them know.

I am not aware of any SDSU supporters who subscribe to the insiders. It appears several of the Bison guys do. I'm not sure I could commit the time necessary to adequately review the info and pass it on to those interested but I am entertaining subscribing to the site/magazine. Anyone have any insight??
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

JackMD-

Your lack of faith is surprising! My suggestion for theinsiders.com is to not bother. My personal opinion of the site is that its worthless. Some examples of this include 1) What school is rated Tom Conboy going to again? 2) The JUCO listings are horrible/non-existent. Where is Landon Scott at? I guess he could have been one of the leading scorers in Iowa history, but not even be 1 star on theinsiders for this year.

If a player isn't in the top 100 nationally than the insiders doesn't care. If you register for the only thing it will do is show that there is an interest in SDSU on the site, and personally I don't really care if theinsiders.com thinks we're newsworthy or not. If you want to get there attention e-mail them a lot saying one of our recruits should be rated higher. I bet we can get one of them up to three stars by harrasing them.

As for recruiting classes, I don't think most jackfans have any idea about how great this class has been so far, and with the possible addition of another player, it will very easily be the most talented group to ever play at SDSU, as it should be. Not to offend bison fans, but I don't really think there is even a comparison. All of the bison recruits to my knowledge were recruited by D-2 schools, and NDSU, while SDSU recruits were recruited by all or mostly D-I schools. Here's a summary:

Matt Cadwell: Recruited by a lot of D-2's and to my knowledge two mid-con schools showed interest.

Andre: Offered by UNI, had some UofM interest, probably should have ended up higher in the food chain, but he waited to long trying to get into a better school than UNI.

Landon Scott: don't know much, was a great get though. Will be replace moeller by end of season.

Steve Holdren: Should have ended up at a mo valley school, or possibly higher, except was injured. If he stays healthy he has the potential to be an amazing player for SDSU.

To my knowledge SDSU hasn't recruited a single player that NDSU took, especially the 5'11 guard, I don't know what miles was thinking with that one. The kid is going to be getting rejected constantly in D-I, and than having shots put up over his head on the other side of the floor.

All of the players that Nagy has gotten this season have unbelievable potential, far more than even last years class. I hope that none of them are redshirted next season, if they aren't I really believe that we will be more than competitive with the teams on our schedule.
        Here's my guess for starters:

Start:
        C: Jones 6'6
        F: Green 6'7
        F: Beran 6'6
        PG: Gilbert 6'6
        SG: Scott -6'4

2nd:

C: Loney
        F: Holdren
        F: Wenig
        G: Cadwell
        G: Kleinjan

With that starting lineup we would absolutely destroy D-II teams with our height advantage alone, not to mention talent. We would even have an adavantage over most D-I teams. If Nagy can get a center we would have an almost unbelievable lineup, both deep, and very tall. Contrast that to what NDSU has right now, five good d-2 freshman, and some kids that couldn't cut it in the NCC, and I think you'll see why so many players have been contacted by miles. Good luck getting them to play there after a season of getting pounded.

Comment

rabbit85, you have some good knowledge and make some valid points. The one thing that SDSU doesn't have and can't recruit is a lot of experience. Your lineup:

Start:
          C: Jones 6'6
          F: Green 6'7
          F: Beran 6'6
          PG: Gilbert 6'6
          SG: Scott -6'4

2nd:

C: Loney
          F: Holdren
          F: Wenig
          G: Cadwell
          G: Kleinjan

Has great athletes, but lacks experience. The one thing that helped in Austin Hansen's senior year when we suffered through injuries was an experienced leader. Someone on this team will have to step up, but which one? These guys will take their lumps, but will be seasoned by the end of the year.

Comment

I suspected the insiders were dependent upon 2nd hand info and therefore not reliable. I appreciate confirmation of this by 85'. Don't worry about my commitment to SDSU and the move to DI, I'll be there all the way.

I have little doubt that the athletic dept. is handling things appropriately, its just nice to hear that they are. My intentions were not to doubt, only to ask a question.

Comment

I think we do have an excellent group of athletes and as Catchem says we may be lacking in experience, but by the end of 2004-05 we will see a young and hungry team. I dont think Coach Nagy and Coach Larson will let them get down. I think both coaches are very interested in whats going on in their personal lifes and the coaches are going to be encouraging these guys all the way to the end of the season.

That said, about recruiting, I do know the most coaches have their little black book and maybe files of notes to back up the list of guys listed in the little black book. This is the book we dont have privity to and we have to trust that there are some exciting names on that list. I trust our coaches for knowing what they need and when they need it and for finding the best recruits out there.

This transitition period is going to be very difficult for both BB programs and other sports. I guess the best time to have an off year and opportunity to tune the program would be this coming year. I am not predicting a 20 loss season for eithe program, but it could happen.
              This is may be the reason the NCAA has required a reclassification period.

Comment

I'm sure that next season will be a tough one for the team, but the overall record won't look that bad since most of the home games will be W's.  The next season we will have a much better chance at beating D-I's when we get them into frost, and get more experience for the players.

As for the experience issue, its true that the team doesn't have much, which is why I'm glad most of the freshman didn't redshirt last year, and why I don't see many redshirting this year.  I guess with the transition, I can't see any way that we could have fielded an experienced team.  If we had a lot of seniors I think that most if not all would have transfered out, and we would be in a worse situation now than if we knew that they were all graduating, because we likely wouldn't have found out until around the end of the recruiting period, when its too late to do something about it.  

For next season, if both the teams can pick up 1 or 2 D-I wins away (not including the bison) and sweep the home schedule I think we would have to call that a very successful season.  This would likely have them finish above .500.  The next season if we can hover around .500 for a full d-I schedule I would be thrilled.  Hopefully that season we are competing in the midcon too.

Comment

I think 85' has accurate expectations. This team has no experience at the DI level (obviously). In fact, they have limited experience at any college basketball level. 1 full year for Jones and Beren, Green and Wening both missed time last year and Kleinjan is no more than a minor role player. This year should not be judged by wins or losses, but on how it establishes us on the DI seen. I would be happy with 10 wins. The most important factors will be team chemistry and a positive attitude. These guys aren't use to losing that often and it may happen this year. If the game against Metro was any indication, there could be a few tough games to swallow.

In the end it will all be worth it and I commend these young men for there commitment to SDSU. We need to reward them with our unconditional support and express our gratitude for being the leaders into this new frontier. Go Jackrabbits!!!

Comment

I agree that wins and losses are not how the next 2 years should be measured, although getting wins is always better. This year and next really are about establishing SDSU on the D1 scene and to allow it to compete in the recruiting battles that will determine how the wins will stack up in the following years.

Fans can help make the impact by showing up to games no matter what the win-loss record turns out to be. If SDSU can continue to fill Frost, word will get out that it is a great place to play. I can't wait for the year to start.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X