NABC proposes recruiting rules change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NABC proposes recruiting rules change

Interesting, only in the preliminary phase, I have no idea where this will go.  5 years of elegibility with 1 lost if transfer within DI.  It think it would help the non-major conference and independent teams.

NABC recommends changes in eligibility

INDIANAPOLIS — The National Association of Basketball Coaches recommended a sweeping new recruiting model that allows players to be eligible for five years and gives coaches more access to their players in the off-season.

The NABC discussed the proposal at its annual summer meeting and will submit a revised edition to the NCAA, which must approve it.

The most significant changes would grant men's players five years of eligibility (but they would lose a year of eligibility if they transfer to another Division I school), allow coaches to talk with players outside the traditional player-coach environment and eliminate official visits to high school juniors in favor of increased phone calls.

The NCAA hopes the new rules will attract more players to college, encourage them to stay in school and stay at the university they originally choose.  
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: NABC proposes recruiting rules change

NCAA president Myles Brand endorses the extra year.  I haven't had time to think critically about this.  Anyone have an opinion?

NCAA mulls extra year of eligibility

From staff and wire reports

NCAA president Myles Brand will back a sweeping new proposal that would give college basketball players a fifth season of eligibility.

One day after the National Association of Basketball Coaches unanimously approved the measure in Indianapolis, Brand responded by calling it an "outstanding package."

"I'm supportive of the package in its entirety," Brand told The Associated Press on Thursday. "It's coherent, and it's an effort to make the coach look more like a mentor and a teacher."

The coaches association plans to submit a revised proposal to the NCAA. The NCAA still must debate the measure and approve the recommendations, a process that will likely take at least a year. Brand believes the extra year of eligibility will help place a greater emphasis on education and improve lagging graduation rates. He said most students take 4.8 years to graduate and that athletes should be expected to do the same.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

What about the rest of the NCAA sponsored sports? Those athletes only get four years of eligibility, so is Miles Brand saying men's basketball is an entity unto itself. I know the answer, the NCAA Tournament makes MBB it's own entity. My point is, how can you tell a student-athlete he's worth one more year of eligibility while the other 300 plus student-athletes are only worth four years. To say this "The NCAA hopes the new rules will attract more players to college, encourage them to stay in school and stay at the university they originally choose" is absurd. Just because a half dozen high school seniors make a life changing decision to jump to the NBA, and often end up failing, is no reason to change the scope of NCAA MBB. Same scenario with those freshmen and sophomores who make the jump as well. To keep players from leaving early the NBA and NCAA need legislation through the NBA collective bargaining agreement which is similar to major league baseball in which a player that is drafted out of high school has two choices, enter the league thereby forfeiting college eligibility or go to college, but that player must stay until his high school graduating class is three years removed from graduation before they can enter the league. At this point the NBA could dictate that the team that originally drafted the player has that player's rights coming out of college.

I know there are flaws in this thinking and would never happen, but it's better than granting one sport a fifth year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
        NCAA president Myles Brand endorses the extra year.  I haven't had time to think critically about this.  Anyone have an opinion?

NCAA mulls extra year of eligibility

From staff and wire reports

NCAA president Myles Brand will back a sweeping new proposal that would give college basketball players a fifth season of eligibility.

One day after the National Association of Basketball Coaches unanimously approved the measure in Indianapolis, Brand responded by calling it an "outstanding package."

"I'm supportive of the package in its entirety," Brand told The Associated Press on Thursday. "It's coherent, and it's an effort to make the coach look more like a mentor and a teacher."

The coaches association plans to submit a revised proposal to the NCAA. The NCAA still must debate the measure and approve the recommendations, a process that will likely take at least a year. Brand believes the extra year of eligibility will help place a greater emphasis on education and improve lagging graduation rates. He said most students take 4.8 years to graduate and that athletes should be expected to do the same.

The effect of the proposal would be to increase the money necessary to fund scholarships by 25%. A pretty costly measure by my calculations. Am I seeing it right?

Comment

The effect of the proposal would be to increase the money necessary to fund scholarships by 25%. A pretty costly measure by my calculations. Am I seeing it right?
          What? How did you get that? I'm assuming there will still be 13 scholarships for basketball, so if you have 13 scholies for 5 years or 4 years, it will still be the same cost, just the same players will keep the scholarships. I think that the net effect will be to reduce the number of players that go through division I ranks, as the recruiting classes will be getting smaller. I think that this move may benifiet D-2 as well, because most D-I coaches will be able to tell which players aren't going to cut it by the second or third year, and will be able to send them down to D-2 to finish their eligibility out, becuase there's no eligibilty penalty for going down a division. Overall though, this should help midmajors compete with the bigger schools as jackmd said.

Comment

You are right! I wasn't thinking very clearly when I wrote that. Thanks for explaining it to me! :-[

Comment

Wouldn't this just eliminate redshirt status?

There's been talk of doing this in DI football(probably I-AA first). It basically would just allow redshirts to play instead of sitting on the practice squad collecting scholarship money.

Comment

So is this a "you get 5 years to play 4" everyone redshirts or is it you get 5 years and could play 5 years?

Comment

More commentary about the new proposals. They mention help for mid-major schools, more scholarship players (not scholarships), etc..

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/9136711.htm

Brand listened well enough to give his blessing to a series of NABC proposals designed to attract more players to college, encourage them to stay in school and persuade them not to transfer.

The proposals -- grant players five years of eligibility (but lose a year if they transfer), eliminate coaching visits to see high school juniors in favor of once-a-month phone calls, and more access to current players -- are set to go before the NCAA later this month and could be passed by April of 2005.

"I think if we do that it would help the game of basketball have more common sense," Purdue's Keady said. "We'd be able to do our job better.

"I think the (proposals) will pass because Myles Brand is behind it. We've got to support him and do the right thing to help him."

The most potentially controversial proposal is the five years of eligibility. The rationale was that the average college student graduates in 4.8 years so athletes should be expected to do the same.

"It's to help the kids graduate," Keady said.

In theory, the five-year proposal would give coaches more scholarship players, especially fifth-year seniors, and if that is more likely to boost the little guys like Butler, Ball State and IPFW, the superpowers could get a break from players leaving early for the NBA draft. Few schools have been hit as hard as Duke, which will have just eight scholarship players next season.

"The attrition rate must be the worst it's ever been," Krzyzewski said. "We've put a lot of kids into the NBA. We have to recover from that."

Comment

Working...
                  X