BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BASKETBALL RECRUITING

I finally was able to locate a player that is being recruited by SDSU. He is 6'7 Tom Conboy of Minnetonka,MN and he is leading the Metro in scoring at 25 points. He is also considering Albany,Brown and William and Mary. NDSU has a number of highly rated recruits that have either committed or are considering them. They seem to be more visible on the recruiting scene. Nice to see SDSU listed on the colleges in the insiders recruiting.com

Re: BASKETBALL RECRUITING

Jackguy,

Are we going head to head with UNI on anybody that you know about?  The reason I ask is that for the first time I thought, wow they (UNI) made the Big Dance I wonder how that will effect SDSU.  It is a nice thought to have.

Also, does anyone know how many scholarships we have to offer for next year? Are we looking at any JUCO kids? Just wondering, I am not well versed in HS recruiting.

Go State!

Comment

It appears we are competing with UNI for 6'4 Lee Nelson of Northwood Kensett Iowa. He is listed as one of the top 25 players in Iowa. Last year all 4 incoming freshman Beran,Green,Wenig,Loney and next years recruit Landon Scott all were listed as top 25 recruits in Iowa by Iowa Preps.com. Ben Beran was recruited by UNI and several other Missouri Valley Schools for Basketball and Iowa, Iowa State for Football. Green was recruited by UNI, Wyoming,Drake Creighton and others. Wenig had numerous DI schools after him. Michael Loney who was reshirted listed Creighton and a host of DII schools. Landon Scott the all time leading scorer out of Sioux City who played at Western Iowa CC was recruited by a number of Missouri Valley Schools and went JC because of grades will join the Jacks next year. Now whether these schools were offering a full ride is another question. I think playing for the Jacks offered them a chance to player sooner than they would have otherwise.. I believe if UNI or other area DI schools really want a kid and they offer a full scholarship it will be difficult for us to compete until we have a conference and some history in DI. We may have to take some chances on some JC kids.

Comment

Bottom line is we would not have gotten any of the above kids to committ if not for our move to DI!

Comment

Jackguy,

What do you think we need for next years team? I think more depth at guard is a most and I would like to see a strong Big Man come in (maybe a JUCO kid). What are your thoughts?

Go Jackrabbits!

Comment

I would agree that we need an inside presence to play along side Jones. Would be nice to see a Kurt Meister type player in the middle again. Seem to be all set at the foward position. Who's going to run the point? It's obvious Landan Scott can score and so can Moeller. I don't think Giever can get it done. I see him to continue as a role player. I'm sure someone around here has some insight into this.

Comment

We return Moeller at Shooting Guard and lose our Point Guard Richardson. Can Geiver,Kleinjan or Hokenson replace Richardson? I think we need to go out and get a J.C. Point Guard that plays like Richardson quick,good ball handler, makes smart decisions and can knock down the open shot. Landon Scott is coming in but again he is a 6'3 scorer and I don't think someone who is there to distribute. We are loaded at forward with Jones,Beran,Green. Wenig and Loney are kind of 6'5 tweeners who will move between guard and forward. Wenig does not have the kind of quickness defensively you need at the guard position. Jared DeJong is our lone center. He started out fast but just doesn't seem to be able to dominate like you would hope a 6'11 guy should inside. We really need a big athletic center in the 6'9-6'10 250-260 version. I also think we could use another experienced slashing forward like Jamel Staten at Mankato or Tommie King at USD. Definitely some holes to fill. Some JC players to compliment the veterans and young players who got a lot of playing time should be the recipe to a competitive team next year. Nagy and Larson seem to be recruiting real stealth like and patient in comparison to NDSU. I guess maybe NDSU has more pieces to add than us but they have gotten some good players out of the state of Minnesota which is a hotbed for DI players right now. There are the bluechip players out of Minnesota that are going to the major programs that we don't have a shot at but there are also the Eric Colemans out of Tartan who committed to UNI that we should compete for in years to come. Remember only DI school in the state of Minnesota and lots of good players!

Comment

I think Hokenson would be the only true point guard of the three and i don't think we have seen enough of him to really judge. Giever might be able to fill in but i don't think he is quick enough to play the point. Kleinjan is more of shooting guard i believe, at least he was in high school (but he can shoot the lights out so thats encouraging). It seems to me that we have or will have about ten guys to play the 2,3, and 4 positions, and two average guys to play the point and post. Will be interesting to see what happens.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Hokenson seems play better D than Geiver but I don't believe either one is a starting PG. I'm not sure Klienjan can play the point. He played the 2 in HS and could score at will. I would have liked to seem him get more minutes this year so we could evaluate him further. Maybe DeJong will put on 15lbs of muscle over the summer and become the D1 center that he should be. I agree it would be nice to see a Staten/King type come in but I think our #1 priority is to fill the hole left by Q.

Comment

Unfortunately, DeJong will be a fifth-year senior next year and his opportunity to bloom as a project is fading. If he hasn't had a breakout year by now, it won't happen next year. The college ranks are filled with big-man projects -- some pan out and others don't. For example, the Reimers (?) kid from Tripp. He was a HUGE project, very raw with tons of potential. He nevertheless had his breakout year in his junior year last year and, although I wouldn't classify him as "dominant," he was very solid as a starting Big Ten center. In fact, I think he led the Big Ten in rebounding last year. I just think that if DeJong didn't do it in his first four years, he isn't going to do it in his fifth.

That said, you can never have enough big guys on your roster. They always seem a little more susceptible to injuries than their shorter colleagues.

Comment

I believe Crashola is talking about Jerrod Reiner who, if my memory serves me right, is a cousin to former Jackrabbit safety Chris Reiner. Would have been nice to land him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                        I believe Crashola is talking about Jerrod Reiner who, if my memory serves me right, is a cousin to former Jackrabbit safety Chris Reiner.  Would have been nice to land him.  
                        That's the name! ;D

Comment

Anyone heard stuff on recruiting lately? I saw that NDSU has signed quite a few decent looking players, and that we've only signed the Landon kid. I would think with all of the people that graduated, we should have some JUCO's coming in, probably one more point Guard, and then hopefully some decent centers.

Comment

I have talked to some people in the know and they indicate the coaches are definitely on the recruiting trail looking for a point guard and some athletic big people. Hopefully will see some announcements soon!

Comment

Originally posted by recruits
                              Anyone heard stuff on recruiting lately?  I saw that NDSU has signed quite a few decent looking players, and that we've only signed the Landon kid.  I would think with all of the people that graduated, we should have some JUCO's coming in, probably one more point Guard, and then hopefully some decent centers.
                              I am quite certain that the coaches are aware of our needs at point guard and inside. I also suspect they will take any athletes they can get. As I understand it we are limited in the number of scholarship we can give over the first several years of the move. I am not sure of the specifics. I would look for a couple of JUCO players and almost certainly one will be a point guard.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X