Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Week: ISU-Red (ISU-Gray to us colorblind folks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Week: ISU-Red (ISU-Gray to us colorblind folks)

The 4th week of our "playoffs" continues at 2pm at the Dana. After the big win yesterday the team is back into the conversation for a possible conference championship. They have slowly been getting better and better the last 3 weeks. Will that trend continue? Will there be a hangover from the marker game?

If the Jacks win this game, I would assume that would get SDSU a top 8 seed in the playoffs. Lose this game an we lose a ton of momentum. Crowd needs to amp it up just as much as the NDSU game. Win the toss. Take the ball. Don't look back
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Re: Game Week: ISU-Red (ISU-Gray to us colorblind folks)

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    The 4th week of our "playoffs" continues at 2pm at the Dana. After the big win yesterday the team is back into the conversation for a possible conference championship. They have slowly been getting better and better the last 3 weeks. Will that trend continue? Will there be a hangover from the marker game?

If the Jacks win this game, I would assume that would get SDSU a top 8 seed in the playoffs. Lose this game an we lose a ton of momentum. Crowd needs to amp it up just as much as the NDSU game. Win the toss. Take the ball. Don't look back
    Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

I think this game will really tell us if we're back in the thick of the national conversation again. At home, against a good team that just suffered an embarrassing loss, after our best performance in front of a record crowd. Weather could be a factor. It'd be easy to pat ourselves on the back and come in overconfident. If we want to reach our goals this season, I think this is as much of a statement game as yesterday was. The theme this year has been inconsistency, but that's been changing the last few weeks. If we can put a solid (but also inconsistent) ISUr team away, I think we lock up that top 8 seed.

I'm not positive, but I beleive ISUr's strength is running the ball. If we repeat the performance from yesterday, that plays inot our favor. I doubt ISUR will turn it over 5 times on saturday, so making the most of our offensive possessions will be a huge key.

I'm in agreement that a win this Saturday locks us in for a seed. But I also think it's about a 60-40 in favor of getting a seed if we drop it to ISUr and beat USD to end the year.
      We were 10th in the power poll before yesterday. NAU, NDSU, and USD (all ahead of us) all lost. I'm assuming we check in at around 5 or 6 tomorrow. If we win this weekend, I'd expect us to move up past one of either UCA, SHSU, or JSU, placing us around #4. If we lose at Verm the following week, I doubt we'd drop past number 10, and I'd say it's a decent chance of still remaining in the top 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        I think this game will really tell us if we're back in the thick of the national conversation again. At home, against a good team that just suffered an embarrassing loss, after our best performance in front of a record crowd. Weather could be a factor. It'd be easy to pat ourselves on the back and come in overconfident. If we want to reach our goals this season, I think this is as much of a statement game as yesterday was. The theme this year has been inconsistency, but that's been changing the last few weeks. If we can put a solid (but also inconsistent) ISUr team away, I think we lock up that top 8 seed.

I'm not positive, but I beleive ISUr's strength is running the ball. If we repeat the performance from yesterday, that plays inot our favor. I doubt ISUR will turn it over 5 times on saturday, so making the most of our offensive possessions will be a huge key.

I'm in agreement that a win this Saturday locks us in for a seed. But I also think it's about a 60-40 in favor of getting a seed if we drop it to ISUr and beat USD to end the year.
        We were 10th in the power poll before yesterday. NAU, NDSU, and USD (all ahead of us) all lost. I'm assuming we check in at around 5 or 6 tomorrow. If we win this weekend, I'd expect us to move up past one of either UCA, SHSU, or JSU, placing us around #4. If we lose at Verm the following week, I doubt we'd drop past number 10, and I'd say it's a decent chance of still remaining in the top 8.
        How many losses have teams had in the past getting top 8 seed? Just curious. All I know is that Youngstown loss looks a lot worse now then it did the week after it happened.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Good thread title ("...ISU-gray to us colorblind folks").

Some great games in the MVFC to end the season! ISU-Red is a great opponent to test whether the Jacks are on the upswing (I think they are). Everyone start planning for being in the Stadium on Saturday (forecast right now indicates snow/rain...temp in that 32-degree range). What an odd situation: I think most Jacks fans will be hoping for a USD win in Fargo while we take care of business in Brookings.

Comment

We were seeded last year with an 8-3 record. Since the era of 8 seeded teams, I seem to recall a Richmond team in 2015 getting a seed, but I could be incorrect. I could see how an 8-3 Montana in 2013 or 2014 would have wiggled their way into a seed, but I can't recall their record either. It doesn't happen much. But, they've only been seeding the top 8 since 2013. Before that, when it was just 5 seeds, I'd highly doubt any 8-3 team was ever seeded before the playoff field expanded.

I just started a thread on seed scenarios, and I think an 8-3 SDSU will need someone to lose to get a seed line. It'd be hard to justify an 8-3 SDSU over a 9-2 Southern Utah or Wofford, and it'd be a toss up with 9-2 Elon or Stony Brook.

Comment

Illinois St has 6 wins. They need one more win to become playoff eligible and they have SDSU and NDSU left. This game is huge for them or else they'll need to beat NDSU the following week to make the playoffs.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                Illinois St has 6 wins. They need one more win to become playoff eligible and they have SDSU and NDSU left. This game is huge for them or else they'll need to beat NDSU the following week to make the playoffs.
                This game is huge. We cannot have two home losses and expect to get the benefit of the doubt from the selection committee. And who knows what kind of shenanigans will happen at the dome.

Comment

The obvious thing that jumps into my head about this game is "let down" after a rivalry. Being at home obviously helps.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Maybe we smell blood in the water ,and win out the rest of the games,it's nice to see others in desparation mode,while we would be controlling our own destiny.I got to think positive the way the teams coming together .

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      The obvious thing that jumps into my head about this game is "let down" after a rivalry. Being at home obviously helps.
                      I am a duke basketball fan. Every year a team beats duke and acts like it wins the NC. The next game at home they lose to Boston College or virgina tech. They never back up their big win. The loss to BC or tech is much worse then the win over duke is good. Sdsu needs to back it up and win. We have had 2 big let downs already and I hope this team is playing like it should be. I am feeling much better about this game. Isu r is always a hard one to defend That offense.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I know ISU-Red is a good team, and this shouldn't be applicable, but I worry about the "trap game" mentality.

Having a huge win over NDSU, and playing at USD the following week, the Jackrabbits will need to have their heads on straight this week. (not that they won't, I'm just worried about it)

ISU-Red, as mentioned before, losing this past weekend is not ideal either, as they are also in "must win" mode.

I'm expecting a close, slobberknocker of a game. (tip of the cap to Jim Ross)

The team really needs this one. I'm sure the coaches will emphasize it throughout the week. I'll be there no matter the weather, cheering like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          I know ISU-Red is a good team, and this shouldn't be applicable, but I worry about the "trap game" mentality.

Having a huge win over NDSU, and playing at USD the following week, the Jackrabbits will need to have their heads on straight this week. (not that they won't, I'm just worried about it)

ISU-Red, as mentioned before, losing this past weekend is not ideal either, as they are also in "must win" mode.

I'm expecting a close, slobberknocker of a game. (tip of the cap to Jim Ross)

The team really needs this one. I'm sure the coaches will emphasize it throughout the week. I'll be there no matter the weather, cheering like crazy.
                          If this game was on the road, I would be terrified of th3 let down. The team has already had their WTF game at home this year. The run game we showed against the bison helps calm my fears, especially if it is bad weather.

Comment

Forecast is improving: Now, partly cloudy with a high of 43 degrees.

Comment

10 point favorites. Pretty high imo, but that will happen after beating NDSU and ISUr losing bad to WIU at home.

ISUr has really been up and down... Their loss to WIU could be indicative of who they really are. Their only good win is against USD at home, 37-21. They also have a really bad loss @ SIU, 7-42. Hard to tell which team to show up, but considering how desperate they will be for a win to get in the playoffs, I expect the team that beat USD to show up.

Comment

Working...
                              X