Matt Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Jones

I talked to Matt Jones last night. I am sorry to say he will not be playing basketball this year. His health just will not allow it. I thanked him for the times I have been able to see him play, and told him how glad I was he was playing baseball this past summer. He is planning on continuing with that, but basketball takes too much out of him. I also told him that his long term health is more important than a short term basketball career. He is a quality kid, and I will miss seeing him on the court.

Re: Matt Jones

I've known this for sometime but I wasn't sure if Matt wanted me to discuss it in this forum. To that end we won't discuss why he won't be playing. He did say that he let the team and coaches know a while ago so they have been preparing this summer as if he wouldn't play BB this year and maybe never again.

His current state of health is relatively good, better than most of us, but he just doesn't possess the stamina he desires to compete at the level he is use to. I am quite confident he could play BB without any threat to his short or long term health. However, he doesn't want to compete at a level less than his best. Don't worry about Matt Jones I think he will be just fine. Don't worry about the BB team, they will find a way to adapt.

Good luck to Matt and I look forward to seeing him when I return to Brookings for the Holidays.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I heard that a while back, from a really good source, but since it didn't come from Matt I didn't post it. I was hoping it wasn't true (Not because he won't be playing basketball but because I'm concerned for his health long term).

You are right about Matt. He is a quality kid in so many ways!

I am sorry he won't be playing basketball this year. He sure brought the crowd to it's feet!

Comment

jackmd: What are you implying?

Comment

First things first, I'm not slimey, you can take what I say at face value.   What are you implying that I might be implying?

I am only stating what I have concluded from several face-to-face conversations with Matt and from seeing him compete on the baseball field and in games at the end of last season.  I believe the best therapy given his current state of health is time and rest.  Avoidance of the stress that college athletics places on the body and the mind.  I suspect with time he will recover and return to his previous state of health and lifestyle.  He is not there right now but he is not getting worse either.  Its really none of our business to discuss Matt's health.  He won't be playing this year and that what applies to us.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I was not saying anything about you, but when you bring up something like "we won't discuss why he won't be playing" it leads to more questions. Your second post clears that up. As I said before, I just want the kid to lead a long healthy life, and it sounds like he is on the way back to that.

Comment

Best of luck to Matt, thanks for your time with our team. I am glad that he made he decision early so the team can be ready for the upcoming season.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                I was not saying anything about you, but when you bring up something like "we won't discuss why he won't be playing" it leads to more questions. Your second post clears that up. As I said before, I just want the kid to lead a long healthy life, and it sounds like he is on the way back to that.
                Exactly my point. I think (in my humble medical opinion) that he will lead a long a productive life. I can only hope that college BB (if he desires) is part of that life. Matt is a great young man raised by wonderful parents who has nothing to prove to anyone but himself. I am proud to consider him just an acquaintince and hopefully even a friend.

Comment

Story in Argus

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article4.shtml

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

1st off good luck to Matt and his recovery.

Nagy and the Jacks have responded in the past to injuries and players leaving, I see this as no different. Hopefully the recruiting class this year is strong and we can start off on the right foot this year!

Go Jacks!!!

Comment

After the Winona game, I had a short conversation with Coach Nagy. We talked some about the incoming recruits, and he made the comment, that SDSU would be very young. He mentioned Moeller leaving and others but he did not mention Matt Jones. Now his statement about being very "young" makes more sense.  The NCAA rules sometimes forces coaches to speak in a crptytic manner, but this time Coach was protecting Matt's privacy.

I wish Matt the best also. His playing career though short was very remarkable. I recall the Conference Tourney game in Omaha last March where I sat a few feet behind the Jack bench.  Those attempts to get back to his former state of health very agnozing for Matt, and one could only feel sadness for him and his family.  I understand Matt's family were always in attendence home and away.

He is a student also and seems to have found some interests  and is preparing for life after basketball, which is something all student athletes have to do sometime in their athletic career.

Comment

Working...
                      X