Game week: Montana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game week: Montana State

I suppose it's never too early to start the next game week thread! Anyone making it out west for the game? I'll be in, plus three more. Bozeman is a great town if you haven't been before, and I highly recommend making the trip if you can get tickets.

MSU will also be in action tomorrow night against Washington State, so jacks fans can tune in to that game if you want to get a little preview.

The bobcats are in their second year under coach Choate, and although they had a down year last season, they are by no means untalented. It should be 18000+ in attendance for their home opener, and I expect the jacks will be running into a much more determined team than Duquesne. Msu likes to run between the tackles (or at least they did last year), so the front seven will have another chance to prove themselves.

This should be a great road test for the boys. Hope to see some other Jacks Fans out west!

P.S. If you're going to the game, wear blue. It's MSU's "Gold rush" game, and we want to make sure we stand out!

Re: Game week: Montana State

Really interested to see how Montana State performs against Wazzu tonight. 2nd year of the Jeff Choate era, so the team has the potential to settle in after a huge overhaul last year that led to a rocky season.

I'd also like to thank the athletic administration at Montana State University for Jason Eck. Without firing Ash after the 2015 season, he may have never ended up in Brookings.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

We are heading out to Bozeman as well and looking very forward to it! We are leaving Thursday and getting some golf and fun in leading up to the game on Saturday night. Will be fun to see Leon Costello as well. He is going into his 2nd year as the athletic director there and was the former 2nd in the command at SDSU. Good to know about wearing blue - thanks for that heads up Mr_Tibbs.

Comment

Digging a little deeper, MSU was in the top 3 in most defensive stats for the Big Sky last year. They were also top 3 in rushing offense. Other than that, they were middle of the pack or bottom half for most other categories, including pass defense, total offense, and scoring offense. I have no idea what they return on the defensive side of the ball, but this should make for a great early season test.

I also may regret saying this, but I'm also happy they were a good rushing team last year. Our front 7 needs more reps against that type of opponent. Outside of SIU, we aren't likely to see a pass first offense again the rest of the season, and it sounds like MSU will prepare us better for Valley play. If our defense is to be improved this year, they have to be able to stop the power run game, and get off the field on 3rd down (especially 3rd and long).

Can't wait for this game!

Comment

Watching Montana State on FS1, their QB is very quick and they run a lot. Read option type stuff. Jacks will hand their hands full with him. Doesn't seem like much of a passer.
          Last edited by YanktonJack7; 09-02-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Montana St defense wasn't too bad early (except for the first two possessions),but they got wore down by the constant offensive pressure WSU applied to their defense,hence the final score.Being shut out raises questions about how potent their offense is,but it's a pretty good defense they were up against. I still think a good FCS team should be able to score against a P5 defense,...something anyway,especially if you want to be considered a top tier FCS program.Mont St only ran 44 plays the whole game to WSU's 73 plays,so Mont St's defense was on the field quite a bit. I agree, with them being in a passing league,they didn't put up very impressive passing stats,28 yards TL I think. (stats...clk on team tab)
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-03-2017, 09:24 AM.

Comment

That's a pretty ugly box score if you're a Bobcat fan. I'm not sure how much can be learned from this game, but I does appear the MSU picked up right where they left off: Decent D, inept passing game, and mediocre run game. I'm in the camp that if you're a good FCS team, you should be able to move the ball and score a little bit against a top level FBS team. MSU didn't even make it into the redzone. Wazzu and Mike Leach are also not known for having a fantastic defense either.

It will be a tough environment, and you can bet the cats come out fired up next week. But I think this will be a very vanilla offense we're going against. That bodes well for our young front 7.

Comment

Here is my game preview: http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...niversity.html

We SHOULD win this game easily. We'll need to stop the run early and put up some points on offense to take them out of their game plan.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  That's a pretty ugly box score if you're a Bobcat fan. I'm not sure how much can be learned from this game, but I does appear the MSU picked up right where they left off: Decent D, inept passing game, and mediocre run game. I'm in the camp that if you're a good FCS team, you should be able to move the ball and score a little bit against a top level FBS team. MSU didn't even make it into the redzone. Wazzu and Mike Leach are also not known for having a fantastic defense either.

It will be a tough environment, and you can bet the cats come out fired up next week. But I think this will be a very vanilla offense we're going against. That bodes well for our young front 7.
                  Agree the cats offense was terrible. We should win this.

Headed out on a 10 day moose hunt friday. Wont see the Jacks until they start conference play against Youngstown. Hoping they are 3-0 at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Agree the cats offense was terrible. We should win this.

Headed out on a 10 day moose hunt friday. Wont see the Jacks until they start conference play against Youngstown. Hoping they are 3-0 at that time.
                    Awesome. I'll miss the next two games for a moose hunt as well (2 week trip to western AK starting Tuesday). I'll be bugging my wife to check the scores via satellite texts!

Comment

Geez, what'd the moose do to tick you guys off?

Score predictions: SDSU 35, MSU 14

JacksFans 2, Moose 0

Comment

on the Dish Network game finder channel all the games are listed by school name ie Auburn at LSU, I was watching it to see if the Jacks would be on tv. As it schrolled down it said Jackrabbits at Bobcats 8 et channel 440 instead of So Dak St at Mont St.

Comment

This is it.

It's only the second game of the year, but this is the "prove it" game we lose every year.

We come in the #3 team in the nation, while Mont. St. Is unranked.

Well not this year crap dangit. This year there will be no let down game. The boys are focused and on a mission to make a statement!

BRING IT JACKRABBITS!
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I'm afraid to ask. Where will this be televised? It's not on the ESPN3 schedule. Does the BigSky still have its free streams?
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                              I'm afraid to ask. Where will this be televised? It's not on the ESPN3 schedule. Does the BigSky still have its free streams?
                              I just checked their website, looks like you can pay $9.99 to stream the game online. That about it, which sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X