• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross leads five Jacks in panel rankings

Gross leads five Jacks in panel rankings

Feb. 10, 2017 Wrestling
    STORY LINKS

INDIANAPOLIS — Five South Dakota State University wrestlers remain in the top 20 of their respective weight classes in the second installment of the coaches' panel Division I rankings, which were announced Friday afternoon.

Seth Gross is the highest-ranked Jackrabbit with a second-place showing in the 133-pound weight class. The sophomore from Apple Valley, Minnesota, moved up four spots from the initial panel rankings on Jan. 20 and had posted a 23-1 overall record through Feb. 5.

Gross also is ranked as the seventh-most dominant wrestler in all of Division I this season as he has averaged 4.59 team points in matches against D-I opponents so far this season.

At 197 pounds, two-time NCAA qualifier Nate Rotert held steady in the coaches' panel rankings with an eighth-place showing. Rotert entered the week with an 18-3 overall record.

Brothers and Wagner natives Alex and David Kocer are ranked 15th and 16th in their respective weight classes. A two-time NCAA qualifier Alex Kocer began the week with a 21-5 overall record while wrestling at 149 pounds, with David Kocer posting a 17-6 record in the 174-pound division.

The Jackrabbits' Luke Zilverberg, a junior from Belle Plaine, Minnesota, is 18th in the 165-pound panel rankings. Zilverberg entered the week with an 18-6 overall mark.

The next panel rankings, along with the list of weight-class allocations per conference, will be released Feb. 23. The final rankings following qualifying tournaments in early March will be one of the tools used as part of the selection process to determine the qualifiers for the 2017 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. This year's event is March 16-18 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

A total of 33 wrestlers in each of 10 weight classes are included in the coaches' panel rankings. Wrestlers are measured by winning percentage, rating percentage index (RPI) and coaches' rankings to earn spots in their qualifying tournaments for the 2017 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships. The coaches' rankings are compiled by a vote of coaches representing each qualifying tournament. For ranking purposes, coaches may only consider a wrestler that has been designated as a starter at a respective weight class. In order to be eligible for the rankings, wrestlers must have participated in at least five matches against Division I opponents in the weight class and have wrestled within the last 30 days.

-GoJacks.com-
Working...
X