Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma State

Jacks took on #1 ranked OK St. Everyone was going up against a higher ranked opponent. Jacks got wins at 133, 174 & 197. Gross beat #2; David Kocer beat #5 and Rotert beat #4.

Jacks lost 31-9

Re: Oklahoma State

That was a great showing, although I know the coaches thought they could win four matches (I think Zilverberg, who wrestled well, was the other). One OSU wrestler was ranked 11th, while the other 9 all carried at least a #6 ranking. The three wins were outstanding as noted above. That trio are really showing up strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      That was a great showing, although I know the coaches thought they could win four matches (I think Zilverberg, who wrestled well, was the other). One OSU wrestler was ranked 11th, while the other 9 all carried at least a #6 ranking. The three wins were outstanding as noted above. That trio are really showing up strong.
      They were up against some of the best. Winning three is remarkable. Wait tell next year.

Comment

I hate moral victories, but when you look at the matchups, this should have been 40-0.

Monster wins for three of our four ranked wrestlers!

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          I hate moral victories, but when you look at the matchups, this should have been 40-0.

Monster wins for three of our four ranked wrestlers!
          I'm encouraged. We've done a good job at winning the matches we should win, but it seems we've had trouble winning matches where we may be a slight dog. Good to see three guys beat highly ranked wrestlers.

I'd be shocked if Gross isn't an all-American this year and I think he's got a legit shot at the title. Rotert has a shot as well, but he's been one of the guys that's struggled to beat the higher ranked wrestlers consistently.

Comment

One more thing about Gross' victory over #2 ranked Kaid Brock. The previous Sunday, Brock beat #1 ranked Cory Clark of Iowa. We've been hoping to get an All-American as one of the next benchmarks for program success. With Gross, you have to think that coach's desire to have an individual national champion is not out of reach - even this year.

Comment

#1 OKLAHOMA STATE 31, #19 SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 9
              125: #11 Nick Piccininni (OKST) tech. fall Ben Gillette (SDSU), 15-0 (3:47)
              133: #7 Seth Gross (SDSU) dec. #2 Kaid Brock (OKST), 6-4
              141: #1 Dean Heil (OKST) major dec. Isaac Andrade (SDSU), 9-0
              149: #2 Anthony Collica (OKST) tech. fall #20 Alex Kocer (SDSU), 23-8 (7:00)
              157: #6 Joe Smith (OKST) dec. Logan Peterson (SDSU), 10-3
              165: #6 Chandler Rogers (OKST) dec. Luke Zilverberg (SDSU), 8-3
              174: #20 David Kocer (SDSU) dec. #5 Kyle Crutchmer (OKST), 7-2
              184: #6 Nolan Boyd (OKST) tech. fall Martin Mueller (SDSU), 18-2 (5:25)
              197: #8 Nate Rotert (SDSU) dec. #4 Preston Weigel (OKST), 3-1 (SV-1)
              285: #7 Austin Schafer (OKST) def. Alex Macki (SDSU), by fall 2:46

Comment

I thought the team wrestled pretty well.

There were a few guys who seemed to be out matched, not sure they all battled the whole match.

Gross performed well enough to knock off the #2 guy but has room for improvement and could have put up more points. Puts himself in the conversation of the top 133 in the nation.

Kocer had a nice performance, caught his guy on his back and battle the rest of the match staying aggressive and attacking. He has had some nice wins this year. I hope he can stay consistent and show he should be in the conversation to be an all-american.

Rotert finished well against a top kid in the nation. This is the type of win he will need to be an all-american. I think he has shown some improvements lately. I am starting to like his chances to all-american.

Comment

Working...
                X