USD week (sans smack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD week (sans smack)

Here's a thread to discuss the upcoming USD game. There's plenty of room in the smack thread for smacking.

I did a quick check on availability of tickets on GoJacks.com. I came up with 3726 available seats. The attendance record for the stadium was set at 17,730 for Youngstown State on Hobo Day. That's the largest crowd to see a football game in South Dakota and relatively few in the crowd were Youngstown fans. Seems to me there's potential for a new record crowd.

The Coyotes lost at Southern Illinois Saturday, 35-28. They had a last-second chance to score and possibly tie the game but couldn't close the deal. Look at their season results -- there's clear evidence they can be dangerous to the end and they're not quitters (they've won 2 out of 3 double-overtime games).

9/1/16 at New Mexico, L 21-48
    9/10/16 Weber State in Vermillion, W 52-49 in 2OT
    9/17/16 at North Dakota, L 44-47 in 2 OT
    10/1/16 at Youngstown, L 20-30
    10/8/16 UNI in Vermillion, W 28-25
    10/15/16 at Indiana State, W 33-30 in 2 OT
    10/22/16 Illinois State in Vermillion, W 27-24
    10/29/16 Western Illinois in Vermillion, L 34-35
    11/5/16 at Southern Illinois, L 28-35

They're 4-5 for the season and 3-3 in the conference.

Probably the best all-around kicker in the MVFC will be on the field. That's #16, punter and kicker Miles Bergner. Of course, there'll be a few Jacks who can claim best-in-the-conference notoriety too.

Coach Bob Nielsen is in his first season at USD, having come over from Western Illinois where in three years he built up the Leathernecks to a playoff-caliber team last season. He won a couple of Division II National Titles at Minnesota-Duluth.

It seems the chance for a Coyote shot at the playoffs was snuffed out Saturday in Carbondale. They'll be dangerous, looking to put our playoff chances in danger. They finish the season the following week by hosting NDSU.

Re: USD week (sans smack)

Definitely a chance to lose this game if they don't play well. It'll be a fun atmosphere on Saturday. I wonder how many Yote fans are making the trip.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

What sections of the stadium are designated for USD fans?
      USD Fan

Comment

We have quite a few young players on the team and they cannot have much of a sense of "rivalry" with USD. They were aware of what happened last season in Vermillion: SDSU won 30-23 but look at the quarter scores:

1st quarter: USD 7, SDSU 3; 2nd quarter: SDSU 10, USD 7; 3rd quarter: USD 20, SDSU 10; and 4th quarter: SDSU 30, USD 23.

With 14:02 left in the game, SDSU scored on a Kyle Paris 2 yard run and a Jay Carlson kick, closing the gap to USD 20, SDSU 17. With 8:43 on the clock, Paris again scored on a 2 yard run and Carlson kicked the extra point, SDSU 24, USD 20. With 7:30 left, Nick Farina got a pick-six (43 yards!) and the PAT failed, SDSU 30, USD 20. With 3:41 left in the game, USD's Bergner kicked a 47-yard field goal, making the score 30-23.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post

Section 124

Comment

North end, east side, Section 124. Seems like I heard once that the conference requires the host team to set aside 500 tickets for the visitors which include players' parents, school officials, and fans of the school who purchase through the visiting school. Not sure that's an actual fact but that's what I heard a few years ago. I have USD friends who purchased tickets through a USD connection and the seats are in 124.

Fortunately for all concerned, there are no bad seats in the stadium. The sections lined up with the north end zone see a lot of action up close. Two games ago I picked up a ticket in section 101 (second section from the north, west side) because I had family sitting in the four season tickets we have. I was up in about row 20 and it was a good view of the entire field and a particularly great vantage point for the north red zone.

Comment

Right behind us!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Here's a thread to discuss the upcoming USD game. There's plenty of room in the smack thread for smacking.

I did a quick check on availability of tickets on GoJacks.com. I came up with 3726 available seats. The attendance record for the stadium was set at 17,730 for Youngstown State on Hobo Day. That's the largest crowd to see a football game in South Dakota and relatively few in the crowd were Youngstown fans. Seems to me there's potential for a new record crowd.

The Coyotes lost at Southern Illinois Saturday, 35-28. They had a last-second chance to score and possibly tie the game but couldn't close the deal. Look at their season results -- there's clear evidence they can be dangerous to the end and they're not quitters (they've won 2 out of 3 double-overtime games).

9/1/16 at New Mexico, L 21-48
                9/10/16 Weber State in Vermillion, W 52-49 in 2OT
                9/17/16 at North Dakota, L 44-47 in 2 OT
                10/1/16 at Youngstown, L 20-30
                10/8/16 UNI in Vermillion, W 28-25
                10/15/16 at Indiana State, W 33-30 in 2 OT
                10/22/16 Illinois State in Vermillion, W 27-24
                10/29/16 Western Illinois in Vermillion, L 34-35
                11/5/16 at Southern Illinois, L 28-35

They're 4-5 for the season and 3-3 in the conference.

Probably the best all-around kicker in the MVFC will be on the field. That's #16, punter and kicker Miles Bergner. Of course, there'll be a few Jacks who can claim best-in-the-conference notoriety too.

Coach Bob Nielsen is in his first season at USD, having come over from Western Illinois where in three years he built up the Leathernecks to a playoff-caliber team last season. He won a couple of Division II National Titles at Minnesota-Duluth.

It seems the chance for a Coyote shot at the playoffs was snuffed out Saturday in Carbondale. They'll be dangerous, looking to put our playoff chances in danger. They finish the season the following week by hosting NDSU.
                Seems like seats on the 10 yard line are common so I think this is the policy. I noticed yesterday, several maroon clad fans move closer to the 50 yard line as the game wore on, as so many of our fans did not show up or tickets were unsold.

Comment

I watched a large portion of their 2nd half against SIU. We need to focus on Strevler, Streveler and more Strevler. The guy needs to be kept in the pocket and force him to throw or give the ball up to Bouma. When he takes off running he's the real deal. The D line need to contain him and we need to shadow him with a linebacker.

Comment

Could be a tough game, but I honestly think their defense will struggle to stop the Jackrabbits offense.

It will be interesting for sure.

Comment

After a bad loss and bad first half the last 2 weeks, I think we come ready to play.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        I watched a large portion of their 2nd half against SIU. We need to focus on Strevler, Streveler and more Strevler. The guy needs to be kept in the pocket and force him to throw or give the ball up to Bouma. When he takes off running he's the real deal. The D line need to contain him and we need to shadow him with a linebacker.
                        It's all about Strevler. They have a couple of decent WR's as well. Bouma isn't going to beat anybody. Their D line is solid and our O line will need to protect the pocket. Hopefully SDSU can establish some run game with our 3 backs and TC. That happens and it could get ugly for the Coyotes. They are definitely susceptible to the big play but have also hit some big ones themselves.

Should be a great day!!
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope as always for Kerblastifacation (sp), but as they have with most games USD is likely to keep this tight. We do despratly need to play a complete game like we did in Fargo.

Comment

USD has given up at least 24 points in every game. They've allowed 35+ five times and have yet to run into an offense like they'll see Saturday. I think we'll get our points. If the D can do even a decent job of containing Strevler we should be in good shape. Weird things can happen in rivalry games though.

Comment

Lets just have Bobbit, Rozeboom, or Mears spy Strevler. That leaves our CB's with a little less help. Time for them to step up. Pass rush will have to work together and they will have to stay in their lanes as they collapse the pocket or else that gives Strevler a lot of room to escape. I have no doubt that our offense will move the ball. Lets just hope the defense can get a few stops.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X