10/8 Southern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/8 Southern Illinois

Ok, so I think we've all taken enough time to bask in the big win against WIU. Moving on this week we have a SIU team that is dangerous, but should be a win. They squeaked out a win against SEMO, beat Murray St, lost a close one against FBS FAU, and just got pummeled last week at the UNIdome.

The game last week got away from them right before half when UNI scored, and then with :46 left SIU threw a pick 6. They did manage some decent yards against a good UNI defense, but they were also likely playing soft most of the second half being in total control of the game. SIU also gave up 3 passing TDs and from the games I've watched, UNI doesn't have 1/10 the passing game we do. SIU does have a potent offense if the D doesn't bring their A game, and any road game in the Valley can take a team out that isn't playing at their best, just ask Indy St.

SIU is something similar to WIU with less proven offensive weapons and a much worse defense. They racked up around 170 yards in penalties last weekend, so they aren't very disciplined. This is a game we have to win convincingly if we are still hunting for a seed. No looking past to the Marker Game. If the defense brings it, we should win similar to this last game. If not, it's going to be a battle till the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Re: 10/8 Southern Illinois

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    Ok, so I think we've all taken enough time to bask in the big win against WIU. Moving on this week we have a SIU team that is dangerous, but should be a win. They squeaked out a win against SEMO, beat Murray St, lost a close one against FBS FAU, and just got pummeled last week at the UNIdome.

The game last week got away from them right before half when UNI scored, and then with :46 left SIU threw a pick 6. They did manage some decent yards against a good UNI defense, but they were also likely playing soft most of the second half being in total control of the game. SIU also gave up 3 passing TDs and from the games I've watched, UNI doesn't have 1/10 the passing game we do. SIU does have a potent offense if the D doesn't bring their A game, and any road game in the Valley can take a team out that isn't playing at their best, just ask Indy St.

SIU is something similar to WIU with less proven offensive weapons and a much worse defense. They racked up around 170 yards in penalties last weekend, so they aren't very disciplined. This is a game we have to win convincingly if we are still hunting for a seed. No looking past to the Marker Game. If the defense brings it, we should win similar to this last game. If not, it's going to be a battle till the end.

Imo, the only way we lose this game is if we are looking ahead to the NDSU game. Hopefully past experiences with close games at SIU will keep them focused on the task at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Imo, the only way we lose this game is if we are looking ahead to the NDSU game. Hopefully past experiences with close games at SIU will keep them focused on the task at hand.
      Considering we haven't played SIU since 2014, and we haven't played @ their place since 2013, I doubt there's many players who have vivid memories of playing there in the first place. Hopefully they fully adhere to the 1-0 mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Why would they be looking ahead to NDSU? The players know they cant beat them. ��

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I don't think anyone's looking ahead to the Byson game.

Comment

Going to need to be locked in, and ready to go.

If the team is prepared and ready, they should win.

Comment

Yankton fans:
              I'm assuming Ben's Bar will have this game on at 6:00?? Going to be in Yankton this weekend and the in-laws WI-FI is crap to try and watch it on ESPN3.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                Yankton fans:
                I'm assuming Ben's Bar will have this game on at 6:00?? Going to be in Yankton this weekend and the in-laws WI-FI is crap to try and watch it on ESPN3.
                I am sure he will have the game. I'm on call all weekend so I won't be organizing a watch party but there will be plenty of Jackrabbit fans there I am sure.

It's D-days so the riff raff should all be partying at the trailer parks in Vermillion.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Go get em Jacks. What a impressive beat down of WIU. Keep it rolling.

Comment

I think if we can get a pass rush going SIU shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully our DE are healthy and Our DTs create some havoc
                    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

is the game only on espn3?
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        is the game only on espn3?
                        These people say yes it is.
                        http://gojacks.com/schedule.aspx?path=football
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Here is one blogger's view.
                          #12 South Dakota State at Southern Illinois

The Jackrabbits are headed down to Carbondale, IL to take on the Salukis this Saturday. SDSU is 2-2 on the season following a 38-point utter obliteration of Western Illinois last weekend, and are now 1-0 in the conference. SIU meanwhile, is coming back from being doubled up by the UNI Panthers to the tune of 42-21. Southern is also 2-2 overall, but is 0-1 in the conference.
                          SDSU boasts one of the most impressive passing attacks in all of the FCS, possibly second only to Eastern Washington (if everyone is healthy). QB Taryn Christion currently leads the FCS in passing efficiency, is third in passing TDs and is 11th for passing yards per game with 292.5. His primary receiving targets are probably the 2nd best WR in the FCS (behind EWU’s Cooper Kupp) in Jake Wieneke (currently #1 in receiving TDs in the FCS and 13th in receiving yards per game with 107.8) and very possibly the best receiving TE in the FCS currently (I could be wrong, but I haven’t heard much from anyone else, and on the receiving TDs list, he’s double the next TE) with Dallas Goedert, who is currently at 3rd on the receiving TDs list (that’s correct…SDSU has the #1 and #3 TD receivers in the country) and 8th in receiving yards per game with 113.3. A large part of Goedert’s numbers are boosted by his performance against Western last weekend, where he caught 204 yards and 4 TDs. On the SDSU Defense, they have two players at 34 total tackles, LB Christian Rozeboom (who also has 1.5 sacks and a 37-yard interception returned for TD) and LB Jesse Bobbit (who also has an interception). DB Dallas Brown is the team leader in “tackles for loss” with 4.5 (and an interception returned for a TD).
                          SIU also has a pretty good offense (although not on the level of SDSU) with the FCS 8th ranked passing offense led by Senior DII transfer QB Josh Straughan. Straughan is currently 5th in the FCS in passing yards per game with 307 and 17th in passing TDs with 9. The receiving yardage is pretty spread out amongst a few players, with nobody getting more than 61 yards per game receiving, but 3 guys getting around 50-60…so…it’s kinda like WR-by-committee (you know, like RB-by-committee, but with receivers). Their top RB is Daquan Isom, who’s currently averaging 75 yards per game, but only has 1 TD. They also have a pretty dangerous kick return guy in RB DJ Davis who has averaged 32 yards per kick return (4th in the FCS) and has 1 return for a TD so far this season. LB Chase Allen leads the team in tackles with 30 including a sack as well as 1 forced fumble. DE Deondre Barnett has 5 tackles for loss, including 4 sacks and is currently SIU’s sack leader. One area that SIU does not do well in is penalties; they’re currently averaging 9 penalties per game for 84 yards.
                          As for who’s likely to come out on top of this matchup? I’d say if SDSU’s offense has anything like the game they had last weekend, they’ll be putting up a ton of points. There’s not many defenses out there that are geared to be able to shut down SDSU’s weapons…maybe someone like Chattanooga…maybe NDSU, but they’re better equipped to stop the run game? Will SIU’s passing attack be able to keep up with the Jackrabbits? I doubt it. I think it’ll be a fairly high scoring game overall…maybe something like 70 total points or so, but SDSU should come away with a win by a pretty decent margin
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Here is one blogger's view.
                            #12 South Dakota State at Southern Illinois

The Jackrabbits are headed down to Carbondale, IL to take on the Salukis this Saturday. SDSU is 2-2 on the season following a 38-point utter obliteration of Western Illinois last weekend, and are now 1-0 in the conference. SIU meanwhile, is coming back from being doubled up by the UNI Panthers to the tune of 42-21. Southern is also 2-2 overall, but is 0-1 in the conference.
                            SDSU boasts one of the most impressive passing attacks in all of the FCS, possibly second only to Eastern Washington (if everyone is healthy). QB Taryn Christion currently leads the FCS in passing efficiency, is third in passing TDs and is 11th for passing yards per game with 292.5. His primary receiving targets are probably the 2nd best WR in the FCS (behind EWU’s Cooper Kupp) in Jake Wieneke (currently #1 in receiving TDs in the FCS and 13th in receiving yards per game with 107.8) and very possibly the best receiving TE in the FCS currently (I could be wrong, but I haven’t heard much from anyone else, and on the receiving TDs list, he’s double the next TE) with Dallas Goedert, who is currently at 3rd on the receiving TDs list (that’s correct…SDSU has the #1 and #3 TD receivers in the country) and 8th in receiving yards per game with 113.3. A large part of Goedert’s numbers are boosted by his performance against Western last weekend, where he caught 204 yards and 4 TDs. On the SDSU Defense, they have two players at 34 total tackles, LB Christian Rozeboom (who also has 1.5 sacks and a 37-yard interception returned for TD) and LB Jesse Bobbit (who also has an interception). DB Dallas Brown is the team leader in “tackles for loss” with 4.5 (and an interception returned for a TD).
                            SIU also has a pretty good offense (although not on the level of SDSU) with the FCS 8th ranked passing offense led by Senior DII transfer QB Josh Straughan. Straughan is currently 5th in the FCS in passing yards per game with 307 and 17th in passing TDs with 9. The receiving yardage is pretty spread out amongst a few players, with nobody getting more than 61 yards per game receiving, but 3 guys getting around 50-60…so…it’s kinda like WR-by-committee (you know, like RB-by-committee, but with receivers). Their top RB is Daquan Isom, who’s currently averaging 75 yards per game, but only has 1 TD. They also have a pretty dangerous kick return guy in RB DJ Davis who has averaged 32 yards per kick return (4th in the FCS) and has 1 return for a TD so far this season. LB Chase Allen leads the team in tackles with 30 including a sack as well as 1 forced fumble. DE Deondre Barnett has 5 tackles for loss, including 4 sacks and is currently SIU’s sack leader. One area that SIU does not do well in is penalties; they’re currently averaging 9 penalties per game for 84 yards.
                            As for who’s likely to come out on top of this matchup? I’d say if SDSU’s offense has anything like the game they had last weekend, they’ll be putting up a ton of points. There’s not many defenses out there that are geared to be able to shut down SDSU’s weapons…maybe someone like Chattanooga…maybe NDSU, but they’re better equipped to stop the run game? Will SIU’s passing attack be able to keep up with the Jackrabbits? I doubt it. I think it’ll be a fairly high scoring game overall…maybe something like 70 total points or so, but SDSU should come away with a win by a pretty decent margin
                            Should maybe at least put the website on there at minimum, especially if you're going to post the whole article?

They have the rest of the MVFC games on the page as well for previews as well as a weekly FCS podcast:

Article:

http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-6-preview/

Main Page:

http://thefcswedge.com/

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Should maybe at least put the website on there at minimum, especially if you're going to post the whole article?

They have the rest of the MVFC games on the page as well for previews as well as a weekly FCS podcast:

Article:

http://thefcswedge.com/mvfc/mvfc-week-6-preview/

Main Page:

http://thefcswedge.com/

Hopefully he's right about Jacks' outcome this week and NDSU continues to have a suspect pass defense to set the table for a Jacks upset next weekend. Special teams could be key in containing the Salukis' KO returns by Davis; I'm sensing a forced fumble by the Jacks on one of the kickoffs. GBGBGJ!!

Comment

Working...
                              X