Drake next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drake next

The Drake Bulldogs lost at home yesterday to Quincy, 38-35. Quincy was picked to finish 6th in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. The GLVC is a DII conference (Quincy plays DI men's volleyball) including Indianapolis; McKendree; Missouri S&T; Truman State; Southwest Baptist; Saint Joseph's; William Jewell; and Lincoln. Quincy has 1500 students and is located in Quincy, IL.

When the Jacks face an FBS team, there are always comments suggesting the FBS team may be looking beyond the Jacks and we can sneak up on them. (With the UW-Lacrosse game of several years ago in mind....) The Jacks and their fans may have a temptation to look beyond Drake. Drake plays football in the no-scholarship, DI Pioneer League but they have had some players over the years.

Right now we're winless and we're going to be opening the new stadium. It's a must-win for the Jacks.

Re: Drake next

Agreed. More context. USD beat Drake 52-0 last year. The Coyotes ran for 300 yards and had almost 500 yards of total offense to about 275 for Drake. I'm hopeful that the team's disappointment at the TCU loss along with a full house at DJD will get them motivated even though Drake is clearly a sub-par FCS team.

Drake TE Eric Saubert was named to the STATS pre-season All-America team. The Bulldogs were picked third in the no scholarship Pioneer League behind San Diego and Dayton. Saubert and defensive end Mack Marrin were selected to the pre-season all-PFL first team.

So there are some players. But a home loss to Quincy? Yikes.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Des Moines Register didn't give much attention to Drake's home loss to Quincy.
      http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ener/89855516/

Drake's official athletics website provides additional detail. Looks like Drake started the game by converting an on-side kick. Interesting.
      http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/news/...?path=football

Comment

Drake.jpg

I hate the Drake!

Comment

The script is flipped this week, as we are 35.5 point favorites. I still think it will be pretty easy to cover that to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            The script is flipped this week, as we are 35.5 point favorites. I still think it will be pretty easy to cover that to be honest.
            I think you're right. The gap in athleticism and talent, just like the gap in athletic scholarships, is much greater this Saturday than last. The Jackrabbits will be pumped to show off the new stadium. Drake is in big trouble.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              I think you're right. The gap in athleticism and talent, just like the gap in athletic scholarships, is much greater this Saturday than last. The Jackrabbits will be pumped to show off the new stadium. Drake is in big trouble.
              Unless we come out totally deflated which I doubt, I think Stig will be very merciful and will not run up the score on these guys, no more than 35 pts would be my guess. Hopefully this will be a chance to clear the bench and everyone will gets some reps.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Unless we come out totally deflated which I doubt, I think Stig will be very merciful and will not run up the score on these guys, no more than 35 pts would be my guess. Hopefully this will be a chance to clear the bench and everyone will gets some reps.
                I agree with Stig being merciful, but I think he'll have to practically kneel the ball late in the game if he doesn't want the spread to get to 50. I think it will naturally get around 40-50, even without being aggressive and leaving starters in.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  I agree with Stig being merciful, but I think he'll have to practically kneel the ball late in the game if he doesn't want the spread to get to 50. I think it will naturally get around 40-50, even without being aggressive and leaving starters in.
                  Lujan is our backup and the only other QB we dress is Nelson, who is red-shirting. Unless we go ultra, ultra conservative, I think our offense will pretty much score at will.

Comment

I found the Drake message board, Drake Nation. go to www.drakenation.com

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      I found the Drake message board, Drake Nation. go to www.drakenation.com
                      I suspect there is much more activity for basketball than for football. Four replies to the SDSU game, and one of the posters was speculating that SDSU would be buying out our game in Des Moines next year. Unless we come up with something better, I am doubtful.

Comment

I suspect there is much more activity for basketball than for football. Four replies to the SDSU game, and one of the posters was speculating that SDSU would be buying out our game in Des Moines next year. Unless we come up with something better, I am doubtful.
                        Drake comes back to Brookings next year. Return trip to Drake doesn't happen until 2019.
                        http://gojacks.com/news/2014/6/5/209517602.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Drake comes back to Brookings next year. Return trip to Drake doesn't happen until 2019.
                          http://gojacks.com/news/2014/6/5/209517602.aspx
                          I think this what the guy was referring to.

Comment

We have seen this team come out flat at home in the past. That being said, they would have to be playing random students on the O-line to lose.

In my mind if the starters are in the game after the half the game was not successful.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Anyone else feel like they have been at work for 14 hours already waiting for saturday and the game to get here. When I look at the clock, i swear the second hand is moving backwards at work. Either that or its still broken.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X