2 QB system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 QB system?

This was debated over and over again last season, and I had hoped that there was going to be a clear cut starter and backup, but looking at the quote from Zimmer below, I have my doubts.

"John Stiegelmeier on QB situation at this morning's teleconference: "They'll both play. Who starts will be decided in next 2 1/2 weeks.""

This is my biggest apprehension about the football team's success this year. Yeah, it sort of worked last year, as we had a good season. However, I think for this team to take the next step they need a clear cut starter that won't come out unless they are injured. Stig saying that they'll both play makes me think that will not be the case. Anyone who discussed this last year knows my feelings on who should start. I didn't start this thread to debate that part of it, because that will get us nowhere, but rather for discussion on Stig's quote and to get people's thoughts. Am I stating the obvious, or do people think a 2 QB system can work?

Re: 2 QB system?

Will we need both QB's throughout the course of the season?...Absolutely.

Do I want to see a platoon system?...Absolutely not.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Will we need both QB's throughout the course of the season?...Absolutely.

Do I want to see a platoon system?...Absolutely not.
      I think thats the way I am going to take it. Lujan hasnt proven he can stay healthy for a course of a season, and frankly Christon has had injuries in the past. Most likely we will be using both during the season, but probably not in a platoon system. You can maybe do that at running back, but at QB thats tough for everyone else to adjust to during a game if it changes back and forth.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think one reason stig is sticking too both QBs will play it makes the opponents defense prepare for 2 different QB styles. Just another wrinkle or advantage
        Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I think thats the way I am going to take it. Lujan hasnt proven he can stay healthy for a course of a season, and frankly Christon has had injuries in the past. Most likely we will be using both during the season, but probably not in a platoon system. You can maybe do that at running back, but at QB thats tough for everyone else to adjust to during a game if it changes back and forth.
          I hope you're right Goon. I have a bad feeling that Stig means platoon though. I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Stig though so I'm always going to assume the worse case scenario with his comments.
          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

You know what? Play 'em both! Hell, play 'em both at the same time! BUT, if I see the Wildcat coming out again in the new stadium I will go ballistic!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              You know what? Play 'em both! Hell, play 'em both at the same time! BUT, if I see the Wildcat coming out again in the new stadium I will go ballistic!

SUPERBUNNY
              The coaches got way too much confidence in that play when they saw it dominate OOC foes. It was crazy how long they stuck with it last year, hopefully the wildcat play at the end of the regular season against WIU makes them pull the reigns back on that play a bit. (or just never run it again)

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                I think one reason stig is sticking too both QBs will play it makes the opponents defense prepare for 2 different QB styles. Just another wrinkle or advantage
                I really hope you're right. I just don't want to see the 2 series per QB thing. That was painful to watch play out.

Comment

What was interesting last year was that the two guys picked each other up. Vs. Illinois State, Lujan sat the whole game then came in and threw a TD pass. Same versus USD when Lujan came in and saved the day. I'm not an advocate of the platoon, but in some ways the mid-game changeup between those two guys can mess up a defense. I guess we'll see what happens.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Frankly, we are probably going to be fine eitherway. It would be good in one aspect to just name one and sstick with them assuming they are healthy. it isnt fair to the players because say if Lujan gets the start and we struggle in some games, that people will be saying they should have gone with TC, but if TC has a little of a soph slump, the lujan camp will say, lujan should have been the starter.

Who knows, maybe they will platoon and just ride the hot hand......
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

As long as we win, I don't care if we rotate the seven dwarfs through at quarterback.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        As long as we win, I don't care if we rotate the seven dwarfs through at quarterback.
                        Boom!! This is where I stand.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It's fun to debate but the likely truth is that the odds of TC staying healthy through an entire season are slim and none unless he changes his style. Lujan has been banged up plenty too. No matter which guy would be picked in the preseason, they'll probably end up splitting the snaps nearly 50-50. If Stig feels the same way it would be no surprise that he hints at a "platoon" system.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
                            It's called the Flash
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              It's called the Flash
                              Yes, but rather is should be called "Flush" as in flush it down the f-ing toilet. I still have nightmares of someone's OLB coming unblocked around the left side and breaking up the up the middle/wildcat play on 4th & 1. I think it was the UNI game??? It was at CAS last season going in toward the north end zone. I called the play from the stands when the I saw QB coming off the field...and then that happened. The entire stadium including the opponent's defense knew what was coming. Where's my gun?

Comment

Working...
                              X