Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off-Season Talk: Who are YOUR 5 greatest Jackrabbits of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-Season Talk: Who are YOUR 5 greatest Jackrabbits of all time?

Purely a fun thread to enjoy the offseason, no right or wrong answers. Who, in your opinion, are the 5 greatest Jackrabbit football players of all time?

My top 5:
    Jim Langer
    Adam Timmerman
    Zach Zenner
    Josh Ranek
    Austin Sumner

*Greatest while wearing a Jackrabbit uniform. Adam Vinateiri is arguably the greatest Jackrabbit to have success at the pro level, but his college success wasn't really anything too remarkable.
    Others who could be in for discussion, sure I'm missing some, and have some listed who aren't quite top 5 worthy:
    Steve Heiden
    Ryan Berry
    Mitch Erickson
    Danny Batten
    Jimmy Rogers
    Josh Davis
    Cory Koenig
    Kyle Minnett
    Rick Wegher
    Jeff Teifenthaler
    Colin Cochart
    Chris Wagner
    Ryan McKnight
    Eric Schroeder
    Kevin Tetzlaff
    Justin Kubesh
    Jason Schneider
    Jake Weineke

Re: Off-Season Talk: Who are YOUR 5 greatest Jackrabbits of all time?

Doug Miller-that dude crushed people!
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Add Brian Witzmann to the list.

At first glance, I'd hesitate to include Weineke because he's a current player, but given what he's accomplished in two years, he already belongs on this list.

Here starts the endless discussion of comparing players in different position groups.

Comment

I didn't really attend games until the 80's.

Doug Miller
        Ted Wahl
        Josh Ranek
        Zach Zenner
        Adam Timmerman

and yes, I'm certain there are some notables left off from before I watched them, most noticeably Jim Langer, but I never saw him play.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
          I'm certain there are some notables left off from before I watched them, most noticeably Jim Langer, but I never saw him play.
          He played well enough to make the Dolphins starting lineup and become SDSU's only player in the Professional Football Hall of Fame. He IS Top 5. And a good case can be made for Pete Retzlaff as well,who had arguably the second best pro career (behind Langer) of any Jackrabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            He played well enough to make the Dolphins starting lineup and become SDSU's only player in the Professional Football Hall of Fame. He IS Top 5. And a good case can be made for Pete Retzlaff as well,who had arguably the second best pro career (behind Langer) of any Jackrabbit.
            If Langer isn't on your top 5 list I'm pretty sure the list doesn't hold much water. Even if you've never seen him play an NFL HOFer is in the SDSU top 5.

It's tough though because many many greats from years past don't get recognition because the "newer" fans never saw them play.

Comment

The starting post in this thread lists Jim Langer -- I think Langer is the only North Central Conference football player in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

No question: Palmer "Pete" Retzlaff should be on anyone's top-five list. How about Wayne Rasmussen...outstanding not only in the Jackrabbit football uniform but also outstanding in basketball and baseball for the Jacks (and a very good defensive back for the Detroit Lions for 10 years -- plus, had two sons who played for the Jacks).

The problem with lists is leaving off some great athletes simply because there's no one around who is old enough to remember them. Example: SDSU Hall of Famer Cleveland Abbott received 14 SDSU letters as an outstanding football, basketball and track athlete (1913-1916). He was Tuskegee's football coach for 32 years and the stadium at Tuskegee bears his name.

Lots of other examples too.

I watched Lynn Boden in the early 70s...outstanding college lineman. Doesn't anyone remember him? He was drafted in the first round of the 1975 NFL draft by the Detroit Lions. He played four years as an offensive guard for the Lions and one year for the Bears. I recall one commentator during a Lions game saying "Someone's going to have to teach him how to hold better" after he (Boden) drew a penalty flag.

Rasmussen and Boden might not be on a top-five list but in the 60d and early 70s, some would give you an argument. Abbott? Maybe. Tough to measure against time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Second best NFL career? I can think of two former Jacks who make that comment questionable. One an offensive lineman the other a kicker. A kicker who could very well be in the HOF.

My list:

Langer
                Zenner
                Timmerman
                Miller
                Ranek

Weineke will be top 5 after his career is over.

Comment

If Vinateiri is off the list because we're limiting it to performance while at SDSU, Langer is off the list too. Langer played a completely different position on the opposite side of the ball at SDSU. He was an honorable mention all-american while playing linebacker at SDSU.

Meanwhile, when Vinateiri left campus he was the all-time leading scorer in school history (according to wikipedia). He has brought more notoriety to our football program than anyone, except maybe Langer. He is legend at his position in addition to currently ranking third in the history of the NFL in points scored.

My list, no particular order:

Langer
                  Vinateiri
                  Zenner
                  Timmerman
                  Ranek (likely to be replaced by Weineke once he is done)
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The game is changing which makes some comparison difficult if not impossible. Pete Retzleff never had a weight room except for a few bar bells. I took weightlifting as PE course in 1959. There was not anywhere the equipment available today.

Comment

Vinateiri was a better punter than place kicker in college. Fact is he was replaced as a place kicker junior year for a D lineman wearing a square toe shoe. As a Jackrabbit he was good, not great. As a pro arguably the best place kicker on NFL history. That's why he's brought notoriety to SDSU. His records at SDSU have been broken a few times. His records were set when our offense was clicking in high gear, which has obviously only continued to crank up.

However, I respect everyone's opinion and its fun to see who gets mentioned. Sad that no tight ends are in anyone's top 5 :-)
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                        Vinateiri was a better punter than place kicker in college. Fact is he was replaced as a place kicker junior year for a D lineman wearing a square toe shoe. As a Jackrabbit he was good, not great. As a pro arguably the best place kicker on NFL history. That's why he's brought notoriety to SDSU. His records at SDSU have been broken a few times. His records were set when our offense was clicking in high gear, which has obviously only continued to crank up.

However, I respect everyone's opinion and its fun to see who gets mentioned. Sad that no tight ends are in anyone's top 5 :-)
                        Steve Heiden in my top five...if that makes you feel better. JD Alexander, JD Berreth, Kevin Tetzlaff, Jim Dorman.

Comment

Is it top five who played at sdsu and had the best pro career or best 5 while only at sdsu? To me those lists could look very different.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Why, were you a TE? ��

Comment

I see where you are coming from. My main point, many of the metrics that would disqualify Vinateiri from lists also disqualify Langer. The plight of the lonesome kicker.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X