Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Tryouts

http://goyotes.com/news/2016/1/20/FB_0120160502.aspx

I read this yesterday looks like USD is shaking things up and hosting open tryouts to anyone in the student body. Kinda seems desperate to find a diamond in the rough.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Re: USD Tryouts

Predicting that this thread will be moved to smack before noon...😉
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

This a Bob Nielsen thing. He did it at Western as well. I agree that it comes off as desperate, but he must have his reasons or at least some past success with it, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

You never know who will show up until the tryouts begin. This is old idea that I have thought should be implemented at SDSU, but I think by the first semester everyone who might have an interest in football will have made it known to someone. There is always the regretting one who will not know until he puts the pads on.

Comment

I like it. It would be a pain in the butt, but if you can get a couple of decent walk-ons, it's worth it.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            I like it. It would be a pain in the butt, but if you can get a couple of decent walk-ons, it's worth it.
            Yes and it gives the Director of Football Operations a reason to exist.

Comment

I was part of an open tryout in 2000 which I earned a walk on spot so this idea is not foreign.

Comment

Rudy, Rudy, RUDY

Comment

I think I still have my USD student ID (took a few classes there my senior year of HS) and four years of eligibility. Might give it a go.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I suspect it's largely a public relations move. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of teams at the professional and college level do it.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      I think I still have my USD student ID (took a few classes there my senior year of HS) and four years of eligibility. Might give it a go.
                      RO: this may be the first time you've read or heard these words: you're too old.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        RO: this may be the first time you've read or heard these words: you're too old.
                        Yes, you may get hurt. Real bad. You may need Scott Hoy to represent you.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I feel like a 26 year old with possible academic issues playing for USD is the best Ed tribute that I can give.

/self-issued smack ban.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I feel like a 26 year old with possible academic issues playing for USD is the best Ed tribute that I can give.

/self-issued smack ban.
                            Its not smack if its true.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I suspect this is a diversion tactic to steer us away from the "shady" multi-year contract debacle.

Comment

Working...
                              X