Hank Goff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank Goff

Former Jackrabbit, Hank Goff had a nice story about him on college game day this morning. He started for us in 2005 but flunked out of college in 2006. He now plays for Concordia, St. Paul as a 28 year old defensive end.

After leaving the Jacks he became a marine. He was then sent to Afghanistan as part of Echo Company. 22 of his brothers died over there and more than 30 have committed suicide since returning. A tremendous story about a young man who has dealt with more **** than I can imagine and is now mentoring young players at Concordia. He says he wants to coach and a fireman after he graduates.

I'll post a link if I can find it.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Hank Goff

ADDED Later: I didn't see West Side Rabbit's thread on Hank Goff...post just a few minutes before I started a thread. I've merged the two threads.

ESPN College Game Day had a human-interest feature on Hank Goff, now playing for Concordia of St. Paul. Goff was a standout from Minnetonka, got a full ride to SDSU where he started eight games as a freshman (2005)...and basically flunked out. He joined the Marines and after five years serving his country including stints in the Middle East war zone, is now back to playing college ball.

Goff was also featured in a story on Sport Illustrated (written by his uncle). Here's the link to the Sports Illustrated article: http://www.si.com/college-football/2...-paul-football

Here's a small part of the SI story referring to SDSU (there's more on the SDSU connection):
    Declining Minnesota’s invitation to join its program as a “recruited walk-on,” Hank accepted a full ride to South Dakota State University in—any guesses?—Brookings, S.D. After three days on the scout team, he was bumped up to the varsity. He started eight games, had five sacks and led the Jackrabbits in tackles for loss with seven. It was a terrific, promising start—followed by a sad, abrupt conclusion—to his college career. So it seemed for five years.
    I would describe South Dakota Hank as an indifferent student, but that would be an insult and disservice to indifferent students. Hank was an atrocious student, a real-life Kent Dorfman, whose “zero-point-two”—as enunciated with memorable disgust by Dean Wormer—was a full .13 higher than the 0.07 that Hank pulled in his freshman fall.
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-14-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Re: Hank Goff

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14123897

Gameday video
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It's available on WatchESPN called "Football Healing Invisible Wounds"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Midco Sports did a piece on him. 13:44 mark
          https://youtu.be/cJAIHMftChk

Comment

I saw it the other day and was wondering how that works when he first played in 2005. Because its D-2 you don't have to finish your 4 years in 5? Or what's the deal how that works. Heck of a story and journey he went on.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I saw it the other day and was wondering how that works when he first played in 2005. Because its D-2 you don't have to finish your 4 years in 5? Or what's the deal how that works. Heck of a story and journey he went on.
              I would guess that military service might stop the 5 year clock.

Comment

DII does not have the same time requirements as D1. Once in a while you'll read about an athlete who didn't take the usual route to college and now is too old to play D1, so they play DII or DIII.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  Former Jackrabbit, Hank Goff had a nice story about him on college game day this morning. He started for us in 2005 but flunked out of college in 2006. He now plays for Concordia, St. Paul as a 28 year old defensive end.

After leaving the Jacks he became a marine. He was then sent to Afghanistan as part of Echo Company. 22 of his brothers died over there and more than 30 have committed suicide since returning. A tremendous story about a young man who has dealt with more **** than I can imagine and is now mentoring young players at Concordia. He says he wants to coach and a fireman after he graduates.

I'll post a link if I can find it.
                  Can't thank these vets enough,where do these guys come from that we are so blessed as a country to have protecting us .Guys and gals too,who love life so much they're willing to risk their own so that others can live theirs,the very definition of selflessness,thank you one and all.Wishing the very best for Hank.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    ADDED Later: I didn't see West Side Rabbit's thread on Hank Goff...post just a few minutes before I started a thread. I've merged the two threads.

ESPN College Game Day had a human-interest feature on Hank Goff, now playing for Concordia of St. Paul. Goff was a standout from Minnetonka, got a full ride to SDSU where he started eight games as a freshman (2005)...and basically flunked out. He joined the Marines and after five years serving his country including stints in the Middle East war zone, is now back to playing college ball.

Goff was also featured in a story on Sport Illustrated (written by his uncle). Here's the link to the Sports Illustrated article: http://www.si.com/college-football/2...-paul-football

Here's a small part of the SI story referring to SDSU (there's more on the SDSU connection):
                    Declining Minnesota’s invitation to join its program as a “recruited walk-on,” Hank accepted a full ride to South Dakota State University in—any guesses?—Brookings, S.D. After three days on the scout team, he was bumped up to the varsity. He started eight games, had five sacks and led the Jackrabbits in tackles for loss with seven. It was a terrific, promising start—followed by a sad, abrupt conclusion—to his college career. So it seemed for five years.
                    I would describe South Dakota Hank as an indifferent student, but that would be an insult and disservice to indifferent students. Hank was an atrocious student, a real-life Kent Dorfman, whose “zero-point-two”—as enunciated with memorable disgust by Dean Wormer—was a full .13 higher than the 0.07 that Hank pulled in his freshman fall.
                    Thanks for your service. Real life Kent Dorfman...that's funny as ****.
                    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                    X