Jacks at USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks at USD

The Jackrabbits travel to Vermillion to face an improved Coyote team. The kickoff is set for 1:00 p.m. in the DakotaDome. It'll be a loud environment with most of the noise directed at the good guys -- relatively few SDSU fans were able to get tickets. But the Jacks are road warriors and haven't been deterred when in hostile environments (a somewhat weird stat: we've lost two at home and none on the road. I think all other MVFC teams have road losses whether in- or out of conference).

SDSU's Sports Info Dept lists the game as the 108th football game, a series going back to 1889. SDSU has a one-game advantage in the series: 51-50-6. SDSU has won the last six meetings which go back to 2001 (the gap from 2004 to 2011 occurred when SDSU moved up to DI).

SDSU's win over Illinois State put the Jacks at 7-2 for the season, 4-2 in the Valley. The Coyotes won at home Saturday against SIU, 34-31. USD's record is now 5-4 overall, 3-3 in the Valley.

The Massey composite rankings list SDSU at #4 and USD is listed at #29.

As noted by filbert a long time ago, threads about USD tend to break down to smack. If you feel the urge to smack, take it to the smack section.
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-11-2015, 06:44 PM.

Re: Jacks at USD

I'll be there, surrounded by USD fans as always. If SDSU comes out slow and gives USD some hope in front of the home crowd, we'll be in for a long day. If we score fairly early and get the monkey off our back right away, I think we win convincingly.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Yeah, I hope we blast out of the starting blocks and score a couple of times before the Coyotes can catch their breath. But, if we don't (and there are times we seem to spot the opponents the first seven points) I think our defense can keep things under control until the offense makes the appropriate adjustments and starts to score.

USD's offensive fortunes, more than any other team in the conference, rise and fall on how the quarterback, Ryan Saeger, is playing. The Coyote defense seems to be capable and it has a bona fide star, Van Ginkel, at Defensive End. Van Ginkel was the defensive player of the week in the Valley [From the Valley's site: he recorded a sack, forced a fumble, and recovered two fumbles on Saturday's against Southern Illinois. His strip sack and recovery set up a 44-yard touchdown drive for the Coyotes' first score of the game. He recovered a fumble on the SIU 19 with 5:21 remaining that preceded the game-winning touchdown. He was credited with 3 solo tackles and also had a QB hurry.]

No question this is the best shot USD has had at knocking off the Jacks since joining DI. I don't see them getting it done (and I've guessed in another thread that the game quickly gets away from them and we win by several touchdowns) but our team needs to be prepared for the fight of their lives. The 1 and 0 attitude has to be the big focus of the week.

Comment

Van Ginkel is one of the NE Iowa athletes (he's a R-Fr. from Rock Valley) that poster Bulldog warned about. The kid will be a big challenge for those assigned with protecting Lujan or TC.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          The Coyote defense seems to be capable and it has a bona fide star, Van Ginkel, at Defensive End.
          Isn's this the kid that a certain poster on here from northwest Iowa was so mad that SDSU didn't offer?
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Van Ginkel is one of the NE Iowa athletes (he's a R-Fr. from Rock Valley) that poster Bulldog warned about. The kid will be a big challenge for those assigned with protecting Lujan or TC.
            Big miss by the coaching staff then. Maybe I guess. But State needs help at defensive end.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

All the schools miss an athlete in their backyard from time to time and I don't think this was a situation in which SDSU would have had some sort of lock on the kid if we had just offered him. But, yeah, no matter how the miss occurred, turns out that Van Ginkel is as advertised.

Comment

I'm not one to do this often, but I got a feeling.

We're going to kick their ass.

Our defense has played lights out the past 4-5 weeks. Go look at what both ISU's, Youngstown, and UNI are scoring on other teams.

No chance we come in overconfident like NDSU did, and no chance of playing timid.

I expect the Rabbits to come in, and dictate.

Comment

We can give Bulldog some points for his insight, but that does not give a black mark on the coaches for passing on the young man for whatever reasons they may provide. The rear view mirror is always more clear than the headlights.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The following historical facts are meaningless as a predictor of Saturday's game:

Since Stig took over as SDSU's head coach, the Jackrabbits are 8-2 against USD. His two losses were in 1997 (first year as head coach) at USD, 3-21, and 2000 at SDSU, 28-41.

Comment

Should run the same play calls that they did a number of years ago when brad nelson was qb. That was a pretty good way to start a game in there. Janacek had 1 or both TDs. Not sure if someone else had one. I was a few sheets into the wind at that game. Had a lot of fun from what I remember. Took the starch out of their shirts pretty quick in that one.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Should run the same play calls that they did a number of years ago when brad nelson was qb. That was a pretty good way to start a game in there. Janacek had 1 or both TDs. Not sure if someone else had one. I was a few sheets into the wind at that game. Had a lot of fun from what I remember. Took the starch out of their shirts pretty quick in that one.
                        Janacek who??? I think you mean Ranek. Its okay though. So much water passes under the bridge that's a little hard to keep up.

Comment

BTW who on the SDSU Staff covers NW Iowa? Well all I can say is I am glad that Ralph Ginn recruited Larry Korver.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Janacek who??? I think you mean Ranek. Its okay though. So much water passes under the bridge that's a little hard to keep up.
                            Pretty sure there was a brian janacek or some form of spelling like it. I know who ranek is. It wasn't him. If I have time later I will check to see who scored those touchdowns.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              We can give Bulldog some points for his insight, but that does not give a black mark on the coaches for passing on the young man for whatever reasons they may provide. The rear view mirror is always more clear than the headlights.
                              I agree with you. The kid can play, would be nice to have him on our team. But to sit there and dwell on not having a kid on our 7-2, ranked in the top 10, just beat the #2 team in the country, Jackrabbit football team, who by the way has a defense that is playing out of this world..... I remember the same conversation with Starr, who was a great player. It would have been nice to have him on our team, but I will live with the kids we have any day.
                              One last point, it isn't always about talent with recruiting, it is about the right fit. Maybe it wasn't the right fit for either side.

Comment

Working...
                              X