Goodbye Coughlin Alumni Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Coughlin Alumni Stadium

There will be a touch of sadness with today's game. For many of us who came from small towns, CAS was a huge place. That "old house" has given us a lot of great memories, and, some not-so-great. And, even with all her faults, I will miss her.

Re: Goodbye Coughlin Alumni Stadium

Nicely put. For all her faults as of late she was home and quite a site for me growing up around Brookings. I remember as a kid climbing to the top and getting in trouble for spitting over the edge. It was as high as you could get safely. Being a farm kid I've been up a few silos and grain bins but the ease and safety of Coughlin was great. I remember going over by the student section with a buddy at age 10 or 11 and the students passing us up and down. Body surfing, it was exhilerating and now would constitute criminal charges I'm sure. For all the shiny new wonders we will have next year there is a part of me that will miss the grandstand. Just not the part that gets vertigo when I look up the stairway now.

Comment

I never missed a home game during my years as a student in the 1977 through the 1981 seasons. The place seemed huge. With occasional crowds over 4000, I felt like I was going to some big time events. I cannot say that I will miss the old grandstand, but I will carry great memories.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Never forget...the world's largest pillow fight, hosted by Joey Fatone, was held at CAS.

Comment

fond memories of CAS sneaking a bottle in. running around the field and stands in the bunny costume when students could do it before they got a permanent guy or girl. and breaking my hand in the spring football game in 1974 while breaking up a pass play in the third quarter and playing the rest of the game.( knocking down a pass on the second to last play of the game with it kinda hurt though.)

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
            Never forget...the world's largest pillow fight, hosted by Joey Fatone, was held at CAS.
            Lol I think your post should be in the other thread..." Embarrassing moments at CAS"

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              fond memories of CAS sneaking a bottle in. running around the field and stands in the bunny costume when students could do it before they got a permanent guy or girl. and breaking my hand in the spring football game in 1974 while breaking up a pass play in the third quarter and playing the rest of the game.( knocking down a pass on the second to last play of the game with it kinda hurt though.)
              That's awesome. must spread rep....

Comment

My fondest memory was the Ice Bowl game vs Mankato St. on 11/16/1996. Freezing rain/sleet/snow had the field literally covered in a sheet of ice. I remember walking in with my roommates about 5 min before kickoff...there was approx 200 people in the stands. No one was even bothering to check student i.d.'s or take tickets. We watched for about 10 minutes and left to go to the liquor store. We came back and walked right in with a case of Busch Light and a bottle of Schnapps. Oh yah, and the Jacks won...
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

What a way to go out at CAS! I've only been a season ticket holder since 1993, but to me that was a top 3 win at home since I've been goin to games here. So proud of this team, and how bout that D! This is a win we can celebrate big time. ISU is an exceptional team. Finally win a big game !
                  GBGBGJ

Comment

I've always enjoyed the games I've been at in CAS!

My most memorable was probably when SDSU DESTROYED EIU back in the playoffs in the snow.

That was a thing of beauty.
                    2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
                      I've always enjoyed the games I've been at in CAS!

My most memorable was probably when SDSU DESTROYED EIU back in the playoffs in the snow.

That was a thing of beauty.
                      That game was crazy. One of the best I can remember.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Looked like almost everyone was grabbing the seat back tops as they were leaving, some took the bottom cushions, but those were hard to get off so not many did. Sounds like there were people disassembling and taking sections of benches after the game until they got kicked out.

Comment

Some of the greatest memories are of the cold weather games: Berry's 7 td's vs. ISUred; the playoff game v. EIU; last year's game against WIU. Others would include the Great West title game v. NDSU and today's game!

Comment

My favorite memory at CAS would be the Great West title game vs. NDSU and Paul Annonenson's punt return with NDSU players standing all around. That was an amazing day and I think it cemented my love of SDSU.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The 3OT Hodo Day game against McNeese was one of my Favorites (even thought we ended up on the wrong side of that one). McNeese came in in ranked in the top 5 and we were still a relative newby to being ranked.

I think that game was a turning point for many of our fans that showed that this program was ready to a nationally competitive - consistent Top 15 - program. We may have made another statement today...

Comment

Working...
                              X