Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coverage

Is it just me or is the beat writer for the AL doing more stories about the opposing team than on the Jacks and it seems like this writer likes to take cheap shots via twitter. Couple of tweets this weekend were pretty low IMO at least one fan called him out on it.

Re: Coverage

I just scanned through Matt Z's twitter feed and didn't see anything that even remotely resembled "cheap shots".
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

He's doing great IMO. Wrote a nice story today about the special teams and provided some stats about the defense. Personally, I enjoy his previews of the other team. I think a lot of people are still new to the teams in the MVFC so I appreciate his work to lightly scout or preview the other team.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The biggest shot would be the 3700+ reported for the attendance. 12 minutes before kickoff did not even look like 500 in the stands including the bands.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          The biggest shot would be the 3700+ reported for the attendance. 12 minutes before kickoff did not even look like 500 in the stands including the bands.
          Pointing out questionable attendance figures, whether at an opponents stadium or our own, is appreciated by many readers. I agree with OldHare: looked like the reported attendance was far from what appeared to be actual.

Comment

Yeah, no clue what "cheap shots" you are talking about. I went back and looked too and nothing stood out to me. I think his coverage has been great, I like that he does take the time to preview the opponent. I don't know what people expect out of him, he's doing a great job and STOP comparing him to Terry V.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Pointing out questionable attendance figures, whether at an opponents stadium or our own, is appreciated by many readers. I agree with OldHare: looked like the reported attendance was far from what appeared to be actual.
              I believe with the stadium upgrade included sky boxes, maybe they were jammed full with fans.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                Yeah, no clue what "cheap shots" you are talking about. I went back and looked too and nothing stood out to me. I think his coverage has been great, I like that he does take the time to preview the opponent. I don't know what people expect out of him, he's doing a great job and STOP comparing him to Terry V.
                Zim loves his job and why screw it up with negative comments about the subject you are covering. Makes no sense to me and I don't even follow twitter.

Comment

I think some who enjoy the recruiting side of college sports will find that his lack of interest in it frustrating. I dont care if we hear about all the offers or leads like we got from TV, but atleast when people accept or verbal on offers would be nice to know asap still. I dont mind his write up on other teams. Just wish he was able to be 100% for SDSU of his time. There are many articles and sports that are probably worth writing and reading about, but a small sports staff can only handle so much and he has to cover other things outside of SDSU.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Before Zim was the dedicated beat writer I was critical of the coverage, however I think he has done a very solid job since he got the FT job. I have not noticed any cheap shots from him. He has solid, honest coverage of the Jacks.

Comment

If saying the offense looked so-so, or bad, in a game or a half where the offense looked so-so or bad is a cheap shot, then I guess that's a cheap shot.

But, lighten up.

I actually have really liked Zim's coverage.

Comment

To be honest, for myself, on a scale of 1 - 10, I care about a 3 on recruiting. I'd rather focus my energy on the players currently on the team. Once in awhile I like to hear about someone local kid that commits to the Jacks because more than likely I have heard about them or a story about a commit that has a cool story. When I hear someone from Arizona committed, I have no clue who they are or how good they actually are because I don't follow Arizona high school football. If they show up next year and contribute and become a star player, then great!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I think some who enjoy the recruiting side of college sports will find that his lack of interest in it frustrating. I dont care if we hear about all the offers or leads like we got from TV, but atleast when people accept or verbal on offers would be nice to know asap still. I dont mind his write up on other teams. Just wish he was able to be 100% for SDSU of his time. There are many articles and sports that are probably worth writing and reading about, but a small sports staff can only handle so much and he has to cover other things outside of SDSU.
                          I think they hired someone to cover what Zimmer did before he switched to full time SDSU beat writer,so they should have the same number of people they had when TV was there ,right?I don't remember TV covering much other than SDSU,maybe he did,I don't know for sure.I know TV interviewed some sports personality's that weren't necessarily connected to SDSU sports in his weekly prodcast though (eg, "too much TV") Maybe they have shrunk their staff since TV left...then it'd all be understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I think they hired someone to cover what Zimmer did before he switched to full time SDSU beat writer,so they should have the same number of people they had when TV was there ,right?I don't remember TV covering much other than SDSU,maybe he did,I don't know for sure.I know TV interviewed some sports personality's that weren't necessarily connected to SDSU sports in his weekly prodcast though (eg, "too much TV") Maybe they have shrunk their staff since TV left...then it'd all be understandable.
                            TV covered the Skyforce in addition to his SDSU duties.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              I think they hired someone to cover what Zimmer did before he switched to full time SDSU beat writer,so they should have the same number of people they had when TV was there ,right?I don't remember TV covering much other than SDSU,maybe he did,I don't know for sure.I know TV interviewed some sports personality's that weren't connected to SDSU sports in his weekly prodcast though (eg, "too much TV")
                              I think the Argus still has fewer sports people than they did a year or two ago even after the new Augie/USF beat writer was hired. TV covered the Skyforce if I remember correctly and the area of sports and the media. And all the sports people have done some high school stuff during the playoff season - like Zimmer is doing now.

Comment

Working...
                              X