Home field disadvantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home field disadvantage

Stayed out of the game discussion because I didn't have anything to add to the disappointment. But on a broader front, why do we drop our biggest you-know-what's at home? Hobo Days (plural intended JD) have not been good lately, and the most disappointing losses, other than the playoffs, have recently seemed to come at home.

More importantly, now that we are regrettably giving up the psychological/turf advantage, how do the Jacks come up with a "not-in-our-new-house" attitude? It's a lot about attitude, right? Why don't we have it, and are fans part of it?

Re: Home field disadvantage

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    Stayed out of the game discussion because I didn't have anything to add to the disappointment. But on a broader front, why do we drop our biggest you-know-what's at home? Hobo Days (plural intended JD) have not been good lately, and the most disappointing losses, other than the playoffs, have recently seemed to come at home.

More importantly, now that we are regrettably giving up the psychological/turf advantage, how do the Jacks come up with a "not-in-our-new-house" attitude? It's a lot about attitude, right? Why don't we have it, and are fans part of it?
    Well our home winning percent is better in our D-1 days then our D-2 but I think its the classic stinker game that others have mentioned. NDSU we usually struggle with so thats one thing, but to lose to YSU last year, and UNI this year for hobo days is a bit odd. If we lose to ISUr we will have the worst home record we have had for a while.

Just think thought for losing some stinkers at home, we sure seem to win some goodones on the road....aside from NDSU. a lot of the confrence games on the road are tough yet we are able to win those.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The same question comes to my mind. Although statistically we win at home the perception seems otherwise. We also lose the component (natural turf) that made a game in Brookings unique. We certainly don't have the home field advantage of UNI, NDSU or Montana and those are the schools we want to be.

Comment

I haven't seen anyone bring this up, but it might be buried in some thread I'm not going to read, so I apologize if it's already been discussed.

I used to laugh and roll my eyes when TV announcers would heap praise on the Bison fans for being quiet on offense and getting loud on defense. No ****ing duh, I thought to myself, what kind of football crowd doesn't do that?

The answer: our crowd. I couldn't believe how dumb our crowd is. The annoying dip****s in the hardhats sitting by me kept starting "let's go Rabbits" chants as our offense was trying to drive down the field at the end of the game. Players on the field and on the sideline are trying to get our crowd to shut up, but here we are, being loud. The same god damn morons are shouting their advice the entire game and yelling at officials, and these dressed up doofuses don't even understand basic ****.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          I haven't seen anyone bring this up, but it might be buried in some thread I'm not going to read, so I apologize if it's already been discussed.

I used to laugh and roll my eyes when TV announcers would heap praise on the Bison fans for being quiet on offense and getting loud on defense. No ****ing duh, I thought to myself, what kind of football crowd doesn't do that?

The answer: our crowd. I couldn't believe how dumb our crowd is. The annoying dip****s in the hardhats sitting by me kept starting "let's go Rabbits" chants as our offense was trying to drive down the field at the end of the game. Players on the field and on the sideline are trying to get our crowd to shut up, but here we are, being loud. The same god damn morons are shouting their advice the entire game and yelling at officials, and these dressed up doofuses don't even understand basic ****.
          I'm right there with ya man... I found myself trying to quiet the crowd by doing the quiet down hand motion when the players would. Not saying that's why we had so many false start penalties, but it sure doesn't help.

Comment

recent history of the last 3 years we were 15-3 at CAS, 1 was ndsu, 1 was SIU and last year YSU. 2011 was our only year since 1995 to have a losing record. most years since 2000 were 1, maybe 2 losses. a couple years we were undefeated at home. Most years just 1 loss, maybe 5 in the last 15 yearsish had 2 losses. Right now the power teams in the confrence we have at home which is a tall order to beat UNI, NDSU and ISUr. thats tough stretch of home games. Rough next year when they are all road games, but Most teams in the confrence would struggle with those 3 at home all in the same year.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Can someone tell the band director to not play music when the Oline is calling out line blocking and the QB is calling the cadence, especially at the end of the field where the band sits. This is an issue and lord knows a silent cadence should not be needed at home

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                Well our home winning percent is better in our D-1 days then our D-2 but I think its the classic stinker game that others have mentioned. NDSU we usually struggle with so thats one thing, but to lose to YSU last year, and UNI this year for hobo days is a bit odd. If we lose to ISUr we will have the worst home record we have had for a while.

Just think thought for losing some stinkers at home, we sure seem to win some goodones on the road....aside from NDSU. a lot of the confrence games on the road are tough yet we are able to win those.
                I agree with this, I'm just trying to figure out why the proportion of stinkers seems to be higher at home in recent years, as we move into a new stadium. I can chalk a 10-7 loss to a tough team on the road as home-field advantage, but at home, on Hobo Day, you gotta have that advantage deliver you a win, especially when your defense is near shutdown yet again.

Comment

How you overcome it is by being totally quiet the whole game. Your fans need to know when to be quiet. Players will feed off the silence. Lol

Are you seriously debating about crowd noise in your stadium? Especially an outdoor stadium? This might be the thread of the century. This is the type of thread that would've been started by one of our infamous posters.

Comment

I agree with this, I'm just trying to figure out why the proportion of stinkers seems to be higher at home in recent years, as we move into a new stadium. I can chalk a 10-7 loss to a tough team on the road as home-field advantage, but at home, on Hobo Day, you gotta have that advantage deliver you a win, especially when your defense is near shutdown yet again.
                    Its called balance. The league is balanced. You're gonna have a few "stinkers" every now and then.

Comment

Haha, I sit near those guys too and have thought the same thing many times. Love their passion, they just need to figure out a way to focus it to when we are on defense.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Heh. Moment of honesty here....I caught myself just this last week chanting it with them once...then I realized what was happening and quickly stopped, slooped over and hoped no one heard I was adding to noise while on offense.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Perhaps just by playing better week in and week out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                            Perhaps just by playing better week in and week out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
                            A very good point. But it might be more than that. NDSU battled USD and Augie for the basement for a number of years up until 1962 when a new president came in and said that from now on we are going to play to win. The Team Makers were hog tied and told not to beg for money, but that all changed with the new president, and the rest is history. I know I am being redundant in bringing this up but its a lesson to learn. Do we fire Chicone? No he had his challenges when he took over and I am surprised to see the new Stadium going up. I never expect that in my lifetime. I feel we are still in a position to have a very good season. We have seldom or never went 0-10 like the Bison did in 1962, so to be 5-2 at this time of year is a good place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              Its called balance. The league is balanced. You're gonna have a few "stinkers" every now and then.
                              Balanced at the top, maybe. Not so much at the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X