• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Hobo Day

Re: Vintage Hobo Day

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      My guess is this photo was taken in 1964 or maybe later. SDSU was SDSC before 1963 I think. Not positive. Its interesting that nothing but farm land to the east. Since then much development has been added. Thanks NoVaJack for starting this thread.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 10-23-2015, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        My guess is this photo was taken in 1964 or maybe later. SDSU was SDSC before 1963 I think. Not positive. Its interesting that nothing but farm land to the east. Since then much development has been added. Thanks NoVaJack for starting this thread.
        good catch on the SDSU/SDSC change. I'd have guessed early 60's based on it taken from the top of the current west side stands. It'd be nice if they got one this Saturday. They could pair them together on the wall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          good catch on the SDSU/SDSC change. I'd have guessed early 60's based on it taken from the top of the current west side stands. It'd be nice if they got one this Saturday. They could pair them together on the wall of fame.
          No doubt you are right about the photo being taken from the west side stands, most likely from the press box which was not there on the first game in 1962 as I recall, but came a little while late as did the dressing rooms. CAS was a very bare bones facility to start with. I would tend to think the new east stands would block a portion of the view of the layout east of the CAS.

Comment

We became SDSU in 1964. Have you got some pictures from Old State Field to post Nidaros?

Comment

Comment

I believe this is the stands at the field you were talking about, Jacks#1. 1948 Hobo Day game, Ralph Ginn's second year as head coach.

Comment

Don't see to many fans wear suits to games anymore.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    No you don't see that at all.....look they're all sitting too. Guess suits and dresses make everyone more gentile. It's the UnderArmor and swishy pants that have us barbarians standing all game!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      How about the soldier in the front row wearing his helmet? Seems a it over the top. I love looking at pictures like these.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                        How about the soldier in the front row wearing his helmet? Seems a it over the top. I love looking at pictures like these.
                        You just never know... gotta protect against stray bullets at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          We became SDSU in 1964. Have you got some pictures from Old State Field to post Nidaros?
                          I been collecting past Jackrabbit Yearbooks but not good at taking in pictures of pictures so I guess the answer is no. I really don't have any good photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                            Oh no, ROTC was big stuff back in those days. All males had to take two years of ROTC, unless you had already had military service. I notice a number of beards, another requirement. Once the Blue Key society had performed their burying the razor ceremony usually the first home football game, you followed suite and buried your razor in a dresser door until the Hobo Day football game was over. You could not walk around campus with a shaved appearance. I suspect those wearing suits had a date for the Hobo Day Dance and were dressed for the Dance. I don't know what happened to the Hobo Day Dance. It was a big deal even in my days as a student which ended in August 1965. I guess the dance died from lack of interest. How times have changed.
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-24-2015, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Oh no, ROTC was big stuff back in those days. All males had to take two years of ROTC, unless you had already had military service. I notice a number of beards, another requirement. Once the Blue Key society had performed their burying the razor ceremony usually the first home football game, you followed suite and buried your razor in a dresser door until the Hobo Day football game was over. You could not walk around campus with a shaved appearance. I suspect those wearing suits had a date for the Hobo Day Dance and were dressed for the Dance. I don't know what happened to the Hobo Day Dance. It was a big deal even in my days as a student which ended in August 1965. I guess the dance died from lack of interest. How times have changed.
                              Excellent post Nidaros. Lots of ROTC men served with distinction in our Armed Forces and probably were not worried about dodging Hobo Day bullets, but maybe real ones in Korea and Vietnam later. The great Omar Bradley has a history with SDSU ROTC.

Comment

Working...
                              X