Giving the D its due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving the D its due

Setting aside the NDSU loss- a big caveat, I agree - the Jacks' defense has given up three touchdowns in the four wins since Kansas on Opening Day. That has got to be the best stretch of defensive football in the D-1 era. Jacks swarmed yesterday, and D-Line is really, really stepping up.

Re: Giving the D its due

I agree great job defense. Not much else I can add. Hope these guys are staying healthy and fresh
    Last edited by slosho; 10-22-2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      I agree great job defense. Not much else is can add. Hope these guys are staying healthy and fresh

BTW, from another string, which noted the churlishness of Pellini and not giving the Jacks any credit in post-game presser. Here is what NDSU's coach said, buy contrast, about the U: "What a great effort – he runs the ball much better than we saw on film," Klieman said. "I was really pleased watching that kid. What a competitive guy. He did a phenomenal job managing the game."
      Classy in what had to be a hurting moment.
      U defense played really well, too. That's going to be a huge game in Vermillion

Comment

Defense has played well and should play well with all the experience. The last two games saw poor offensive line play by the opponents. ISU was big and slow. YSU Oline was horrible as they started the third string center, second string center played right guard and one tackle started only his third game. This is why the Jacks dominated on defense and should with that inexperienced line. Any news on Mears?

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
          Defense has played well and should play well with all the experience. The last two games saw poor offensive line play by the opponents. ISU was big and slow. YSU Oline was horrible as they started the third string center, second string center played right guard and one tackle started only his third game. This is why the Jacks dominated on defense and should with that inexperienced line. Any news on Mears?
          It certainly didn't look good when Mears was helped off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            By your reasoning with our oline being beat up and injured we shouldn't have won any games this year or scored any touch downs..a good defense takes advantage of those opportunities and if your starting or playing D1 football you have to be expected to perform. This isn't NAIA or D3 where a second or third team just sucks they go against starters in pract day in and day out and are coached up quickly. Joe Caribas (sp) played most of game yesterday and performed fairly well for a red shirt freshman. I'm sure the fact that he was third string at start of year didn't matter to anyone on the other team.

Comment

Here some defensive stats I posted on AGS, thought they were pretty impressive. Really, outside of the second half at Kansas and a few plays in the first half against NDSU we have been very tough to score on.

Gave up just 10 points to SUU who has gone on to average 43 per game since.
              Gave up just 10 points to Robert Morris.
              Gave up just 7 points to Indiana State who is averaging nearly 38 per game in rest of their schedule.
              Gave up just 8 points to Youngstown who is averaging 33 per game in rest of their schedule.

Comment

The "strategy" I guess, of taking DB's like safties, and converting them into OLB's seems to be working well.

One of the things that killed us in past years, in my opinion, mind you...was that we stayed in our "base" defense, pretty much all the time, even against 3 and 4 wr sets.

Last year, if I remember right, was the first time TV mentioned something about playing some "nickel" coverages.

Now, we usually have our MLB Lally, an OLB Bobbit/Hassel et. all...then the other OLB seems to be a "converted" Safety type... Kreitzfeld/Hazlett/ type of players.

Seems to be working awfully well. Smaller team, yes. But faster.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  The "strategy" I guess, of taking DB's like safties, and converting them into OLB's seems to be working well.

One of the things that killed us in past years, in my opinion, mind you...was that we stayed in our "base" defense, pretty much all the time, even against 3 and 4 wr sets.

Last year, if I remember right, was the first time TV mentioned something about playing some "nickel" coverages.

Now, we usually have our MLB Lally, an OLB Bobbit/Hassel et. all...then the other OLB seems to be a "converted" Safety type... Kreitzfeld/Hazlett/ type of players.

Seems to be working awfully well. Smaller team, yes. But faster.
                  Hassel and Kreutzfeldt play same position: SAM LB. Bobbit and Hazelett play same position: WILL LB.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Here some defensive stats I posted on AGS, thought they were pretty impressive. Really, outside of the second half at Kansas and a few plays in the first half against NDSU we have been very tough to score on.

Gave up just 7 points to Indiana State who is averaging nearly 38 per game in rest of their schedule.
                    Gave up just 8 points to Youngstown who is averaging 33 per game in rest of their schedule.
                    Also #11 scoring defense and #21 red zone defense, tops in MVFC for both of those metrics. Tied for 7th in turnover margin as well (although offense plays into that equation).

We have a pretty good D.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

This is without doubt the best stretch of D-1. Here's hoping it continues today.

Comment

10 points allowed today. Anytime your defense only gives up ten, conventional wisdom says you should win.
                        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          10 points allowed today. Anytime your defense only gives up ten, conventional wisdom says you should win.
                          Even unconventional wisdom would say hold your opponent to 10 at home in front of a top 5 all time crowd you should win. Throw in adverse conditions on grass against a dome team.....hard to say why we lost.

Now if you add the bit that your O line will get manhandled all day, provide no push and your QB will be running for his life in pass situations I think I'm surprised it's as close as it was.

Comment

Giving the D its due

Another solid game for what appears to be one of SDSU's all-time best defenses. If they keep playing like that we should have every opportunity to return to the playoffs. Saturday had to be especially frustrating for the defensive guys.

Comment

32 points allowed in the last 18 quarters. This stretches back to the second half against NDSU. That's pretty damn good defense.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X