2015/2016 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015/2016 Season

Can any of the wrestling experts give us an idea of what to expect for the upcoming season. I know we have a much heralded incoming freshman recruiting class. Do they all get redshirted? Our heavyweight transferred to UNI and guys like Kocer, Pack and Rotert are expected to do well.

Re: 2015/2016 Season

If Bono lets some of the true Freshmen have a shot, wrestle-offs should be interesting. With the exception of Brett Bye, all of our best recruits are all in the 125-149lb range where we return solid starters to all of those weight classes. Is wrestling the same as Football and Basketball in terms of transfers? If Seth Gross is eligible I would imagine he pushes for a spot right off the bat. Collin Holler, who had injury issues last year is another guy I'm interested in. I spoke with one particular SDSU Admin before last years dual w/NDSU whose close to the wrestling team who says Holler is actually better than Pack and has bested him in practice. If true and if Holler stays healthy I can't imagine that he's not in the daily lineup. Dual record may be sub-.500 this year due to competition but this should be a good squad come tournament time. If we were still wrestling in the WWC I would venture to guess that we would have 5-6 NCAA qualifiers, but hard to say now with joining the big boys in the Big XII. My guess at a line-up would be...

125lb - Andrade or Winner of Cefolo vs Sykora if both given a shot as a True Freshman
    133lb - Simms or Sanders if not Redshirted
    141lb - A. Kocer
    149lb - Holler/Zilverberg
    157lb - Pack or Holler if Pack is bumped up to 165lb
    165lb - Brewster/Bye or Pack if bumped up to slide Holler in at 157
    174lb - D. Kocer/Bye
    184lb - Ayers??
    197lb - Rotert
    HWT - Macki (If Sidhu is real deal maybe he slides in here otherwise Macki holds this spot for the year)

184 & HWT are weak spots, but Bono has lots to play with at the other weight classes.

Comment

Re: 2015/2016 Season

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
      If Bono lets some of the true Freshmen have a shot, wrestle-offs should be interesting. With the exception of Brett Bye, all of our best recruits are all in the 125-149lb range where we return solid starters to all of those weight classes. Is wrestling the same as Football and Basketball in terms of transfers? If Seth Gross is eligible I would imagine he pushes for a spot right off the bat. Collin Holler, who had injury issues last year is another guy I'm interested in. I spoke with one particular SDSU Admin before last years dual w/NDSU whose close to the wrestling team who says Holler is actually better than Pack and has bested him in practice. If true and if Holler stays healthy I can't imagine that he's not in the daily lineup. Dual record may be sub-.500 this year due to competition but this should be a good squad come tournament time. If we were still wrestling in the WWC I would venture to guess that we would have 5-6 NCAA qualifiers, but hard to say now with joining the big boys in the Big XII. My guess at a line-up would be...

125lb - Andrade or Winner of Cefolo vs Sykora if both given a shot as a True Freshman
      133lb - Simms or Sanders if not Redshirted
      141lb - A. Kocer
      149lb - Holler/Zilverberg
      157lb - Pack or Holler if Pack is bumped up to 165lb
      165lb - Brewster/Bye or Pack if bumped up to slide Holler in at 157
      174lb - D. Kocer/Bye
      184lb - Ayers??
      197lb - Rotert
      HWT - Macki (If Sidhu is real deal maybe he slides in here otherwise Macki holds this spot for the year)

184 & HWT are weak spots, but Bono has lots to play with at the other weight classes.
      Do you think David Kocer could move up to 184? He has the frame for some extra weight. I've heard good things about Jimshur so Alex may have his hands full keeping him out of the lineup.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
      X