Lujan or Christion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lujan or Christion?

I will call the question, who do you go with the rest of the year? IMO we will need both, but Christion brought an element that we haven't had before. ISU was not full on rushing the QB as they were sitting concerned for Christion moving out of the pocket and making a play. He had all day in the pocket, (yes they were banged up).
    Hard to sit a Senior after and injury, but I think we have to look at who is going to give the best chance to win and move on in the playoffs.

Re: Lujon or Christion?

I loved the the plays Christion made, but if comes of YSU game with only leg cramps I will be more than happy. If we alternate, that's an option.

Comment

This thread could get interesting.

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

This will be a defining moment for.............Stig.

Comment

One word answer. Both.

Comment

Players come to train and compete. There is no guarantee of starts and sometimes you get beat out and it never turns out like you wanted. Some of those guys leave the program and hope for greener pastures at some other school. Others stay, do their best, realize the quality of education they're receiving. Look at Reggie Gandy, do you think he thought this was how it'd play out? Do you think Stig thought that he'd be have a career like this. Players compete everyday, in practice, the weight room and on game days. Lujan is a special kid, a smart kid. He can see the skill set TC brings that he cannot. Zach leads, a captain that will do his part to help the team win a championship. If that means mentoring and helping TC he'll do it. He did all Saturday night. There is a tremendous amount of respect in that QB room.

Start TC, his skills will only improve as it goes. Lujan will find time and when he does he'll do his job. Just like last year.

Comment

I think for us to be a legitimate threat as a national title contender, we need Christion as the starter. Lujan is a good player, but he doesn't stress a defense like Christion does.

I don't think our running game is strong enough this year to rely solely on a pocket passer, as seen when going up against the likes of NDSU. With having to go up against some very good defenses yet this year in YSU, UNI, ISU, and WIU, I think we need to have the dual threat option that Taryn brings to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                I think for us to be a legitimate threat as a national title contender, we need Christion as the starter. Lujan is a good player, but he doesn't stress a defense like Christion does.

I don't think our running game is strong enough this year to rely solely on a pocket passer, as seen when going up against the likes of NDSU. With having to go up against some very good defenses yet this year in YSU, UNI, ISU, and WIU, I think we need to have the dual threat option that Taryn brings to the table.
                Yep. After seeing some of the plays he made Saturday night it should be TC. And honestly I don't really think its even close

Comment

I answered this earlier, but I think with the Redshirt pulled... you go with Christion, and have Lujan on ready alert, in case of injury (or cramps), and in case the youngster struggles. (It happens!).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    I answered this earlier, but I think with the Redshirt pulled... you go with Christion, and have Lujan on ready alert, in case of injury (or cramps), and in case the youngster struggles. (It happens!).
                    Agree 100%. You give the kid a shot and if he struggles you put in Lujan.
                    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                      Yep. After seeing some of the plays he made Saturday night it should be TC. And honestly I don't really think its even close
                      Well... This discussion has certainly tamed down a bit. I have thought about it, and I think the coaching staff saw this as an opportunity to get more games out of Christion. Think about it, if they let Douglas play until Lujan gets back, and let Lujan run the team for the rest of the season, assuming he doesn't perform poorly, he will probably be the incumbent starter come next year as well. At that point, you are reduced to trying to work Christion into the offense in creative ways while Lujan remains as the starter. By starting him now, you have a legit reason to start him next season and have a very good backup in Lujan for the next year and a half. If you look at it from this point of view, it all makes a lot of sense. Now, I hope that this is they way the coaches were thinking... The talk of getting both of them involved makes me leary, as I have never been a fan of dual-qb systems. I hope it's just coach speak and a combination of not wanting to tip their hand along with showing some respect to Lujan.

Comment

This is a tough spot. Bench a veteran QB who is on the leader board statistically, or bench the guy that gives you so many more options? I re-watched the ISUb game last night. Although TC seemed a bit excited, he was able to calm down and throw lasers. I wonder how ZJ's stats look if he doesn't have Weineke winning so many toss ups? A nice problem to have to be sure. Although its fun to move on to the young, exciting unknown, and even though TC has a few more arrows in his quiver, I think you have to go with Lujan. We know what he can do against the good, the bad and the NDSU. We've only seen TC against a bad ISUb defense. I don't think TC showed us enough for a veteran starter and statistical leader to lose his starting job because of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                          This is a tough spot. Bench a veteran QB who is on the leader board statistically, or bench the guy that gives you so many more options? I re-watched the ISUb game last night. Although TC seemed a bit excited, he was able to calm down and throw lasers. I wonder how ZJ's stats look if he doesn't have Weineke winning so many toss ups? A nice problem to have to be sure. Although its fun to move on to the young, exciting unknown, and even though TC has a few more arrows in his quiver, I think you have to go with Lujan. We know what he can do against the good, the bad and the NDSU. We've only seen TC against a bad ISUb defense. I don't think TC showed us enough for a veteran starter and statistical leader to lose his starting job because of injury.
                          Lujan is a game manager, he has a ceiling that has probably already been reached. He is a prototypical backup QB, someone who isn't going to light it up when you put him in there (against decent competition), but he will get the job done. Don't let his inflated stats against Kansas, SUU, and RMU fool you. Last year, he had Cal Poly, SUU, and Oshkosh to inflate his stats. He barely got by in the Missouri valley games he won last year, barely beating Mo St. at home, pulling a miracle at UNI, then losing to YSU on hobo day. Everyone keeps referring to his 8-3 record, but 6 of those wins are out of conference. Lujan didn't lead us into the playoffs winning 3 in a row to end the year, Sumner did. I think people need to step back and realize that Lujan isn't as good as people are making him out to be, and Christion is the right guy to start going forward. As other people have said, if Christion really struggles, we know what we have in Lujan, but personally, I don't think Lujan is going to lead us to a championship, and maybe not even the playoffs.

Comment

Lujan will be a very good back-up

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Lujan is a game manager, he has a ceiling that has probably already been reached. He is a prototypical backup QB, someone who isn't going to light it up when you put him in there (against decent competition), but he will get the job done. Don't let his inflated stats against Kansas, SUU, and RMU fool you. Last year, he had Cal Poly, SUU, and Oshkosh to inflate his stats. He barely got by in the Missouri valley games he won last year, barely beating Mo St. at home, pulling a miracle at UNI, then losing to YSU on hobo day. Everyone keeps referring to his 8-3 record, but 6 of those wins are out of conference. Lujan didn't lead us into the playoffs winning 3 in a row to end the year, Sumner did. I think people need to step back and realize that Lujan isn't as good as people are making him out to be, and Christion is the right guy to start going forward. As other people have said, if Christion really struggles, we know what we have in Lujan, but personally, I don't think Lujan is going to lead us to a championship, and maybe not even the playoffs.
                              I know it is a little OT but The O-line means a lot to this discussion, and more than QB that is where my concerns (offensively) lie. but I think TC has a slight edge.

Comment

Working...
                              X