National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Anthem

For the record, I attended a meeting of North Central Conference officials in Fargo in the early 90s. I witnessed a heated discussion between the NDSU athletic staff and Terry Wanless, then the athletic director at UND. The NDSU administrators were upset because the UND fans were screaming out the "Sioux" at the end of the National Anthem. The NDSU brass felt it was disrespectful and wanted Terry Wanless to get the fans to stop it.

Things have changed.

On a side note, I am proud of SDSU and its fans upon the completion of the National Anthem at both football and basketball games. The fans, for the most part, remain standing until the Color Guard has retired the flag.

Re: National Anthem

Originally posted by Hasbeen View Post
    For the record, I attended a meeting of North Central Conference officials in Fargo in the early 90s. I witnessed a heated discussion between the NDSU athletic staff and Terry Wanless, then the athletic director at UND. The NDSU administrators were upset because the UND fans were screaming out the "Sioux" at the end of the National Anthem. The NDSU brass felt it was disrespectful and wanted Terry Wanless to get the fans to stop it.

Things have changed.

On a side note, I am proud of SDSU and its fans upon the completion of the National Anthem at both football and basketball games. The fans, for the most part, remain standing until the Color Guard has retired the flag.
    Great info, and welcome to the board!

I used to envy NDSU and their success, and in most ways I still do. But I also pity them, especially many of their older fans who have been supporting their teams for decades. Donors, money, fans and the wins that keep those dollars flowing have taken top priority. Such is life in DI, it will happen at SDSU as well (although personally I hope we never stoop to their level of national anthem antics).
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Great info, and welcome to the board!

I used to envy NDSU and their success, and in most ways I still do. But I also pity them, especially many of their older fans who have been supporting their teams for decades. Donors, money, fans and the wins that keep those dollars flowing have taken top priority. Such is life in DI, it will happen at SDSU as well (although personally I hope we never stoop to their level of national anthem antics).
      You pity us? That's good stuff right there.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
        You pity us? That's good stuff right there.
        NDSU fans have become what they hated most: Sioux hockey fans. Over-inflated sense of place due to championships in a sport/division most of the country doesn't care about? Check. Shouting team name during national anthem? Check. Why do you suppose so many Bison fans take such great pride in emulating the Sioux? Its just weird.

NDSU football games are rock concerts with pyrotechnics and AC/DC music blasted from start to finish. Why do you guys even have a marching band?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Things have changed.
          This. Is. Gold.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

NDSU fans have become what they hated most: Sioux hockey fans. Over-inflated sense of place due to championships in a sport/division most of the country doesn't care about? Check. Shouting team name during national anthem? Check. Why do you suppose so many Bison fans take such great pride in emulating the Sioux? Its just weird.

NDSU football games are rock concerts with pyrotechnics and AC/DC music blasted from start to finish. Why do you guys even have a marching band?
            I believe we also have 3 NCAA mens basketball appearances and a victory. Considering SDSU gets most of its school pride from Womens basketball you should probably not jump too deep into this well.

Comment

Things have changed.

This is the greatest first post in the history of the internet.

Comment

A Jackrabbit concerned about the marching band! Priorities...you got them...but just a little different*. This. Is. Gold.

*Since this isn't the smack section, I chose the word "different" and will not elaborate. You can draw your own conclusions.**
                **With dull crayons.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                  I believe we also have 3 NCAA mens basketball appearances and a victory. Considering SDSU gets most of its school pride from Womens basketball you should probably not jump too deep into this well.
                  I guess SDSU better hope NDSU continues to suck at Women's hoops, or it is going to become another glorious tradition NDSU steals from a rival and claims as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                    A Jackrabbit concerned about the marching band! Priorities...you got them...but just a little different*. This. Is. Gold.

*Since this isn't the smack section, I chose the word "different" and will not elaborate. You can draw your own conclusions.**
                    **With dull crayons.
                    Marching bands are more synonymous with college football than tailgating is.

Comment

I guess SDSU better hope NDSU continues to suck at Women's hoops, or it is going to become another glorious tradition NDSU steals from a rival and claims as their own.
                      NDSU was winning national titles (5) in womens bball before most of the current Rabbit players were born. Nice try though

Comment

Marching bands are more synonymous with college football than tailgating is.
                        If you go to a SWAC or MEAC school than yes you are correct.

Comment

If you go to a SWAC or MEAC school than yes you are correct.
                          The more you talk about this, the more misinformed you appear. If you have attended any B10 or Big 12 games and were not looking for a sink to be a urinal at halftime, you may have seen something on the field at halftime. I will give you that some of the bison "game traditions" are not synonymous with much of college football.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            The more you talk about this, the more misinformed you appear. If you have attended any B10 or Big 12 games and were not looking for a sink to be a urinal at halftime, you may have seen something on the field at halftime. I will give you that some of the bison "game traditions" are not synonymous with much of college football.
                            Sorry if I don't attend a Football game to watch the band. Also, I have been to multiple Big 10 & Big 12 games, most of which were NDSU victories or Gopher losses. This condescending attitude Jacks fans have towards NDSU is comical, I hate to break it to you, but you live in South Dakota. I would expect this from Gopher or Big 12 fanbases.

Comment

Sorry if I don't attend a Football game to watch the band. Also, I have been to multiple Big 10 & Big 12 games, most of which were NDSU victories or Gopher losses. This condescending attitude Jacks fans have towards NDSU is comical, I hate to break it to you, but you live in South Dakota. I would expect this from Gopher or Big 12 fanbases.
                              Pot calls kettle black. You're living proof that you don't need to live in a metropolitan area to be condescending.

Comment

Working...
                              X