MVFC Rumors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVFC Rumors

There is some talking about the commissioner of the MVFC(Patty Vitero) and the commissioner of the Summit League(Tom Douple) sitting next to each other during the NDSU and UND football game at Fargo. Is there only a coincidence or is there some courting of the no name to consider leaving the Big Sky???
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: MVFC Rumors

I would posit the UNDies have little to offer the MVFC. A very weak program and longer travel for the eastern schools is not much of an enticement. Getting a replacement for YSU staged is important (no one believes Tressel and Pelini want to stay FCS). Better to poach off the top of the OVC or bring the top of DII into FCS.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      There is some talking about the commissioner of the MVFC(Patty Vitero) and the commissioner of the Summit League(Tom Douple) sitting next to each other during the NDSU and UND football game at Fargo. Is there only a coincidence or is there some courting of the no name to consider leaving the Big Sky???
      UND's travel expenses must be right up there. What is there, one conference opponent closer than a thousand miles? Even from Grand Forks, Youngstown would be much closer than most of the Big Sky. Not that distance is the be all, end all. Remember NJIT was in the Great West.

Comment

I think the Summit League would take them tomorrow, the MVFC would definitely consider especially if NDSU is on board, but they would be the bigger issue.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think the Summit League would take them tomorrow, the MVFC would definitely consider especially if NDSU is on board, but they would be the bigger issue.
          I don't think NDSU would be an issue, the problem would be the Eastern schools.

Comment

100% correct. No way YSU, ISUr, ISUb want to add UND. Now, if Missouri State or YSU leave? Maybe, but even then it isn't a given. I think two of them would need to go before UND gets in. Getting USD in wasn't a given. Pretty sure that was a favor to SDSU and NDSU based on the stability of the Summit. We did not want USD in the Big Sky and neither did Douple.

The Summit would take UND and UNC tomorrow if they wanted in.

Originally posted by jack power View Post

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              I miss worded that, I meant to say if NDSU was behind the issue, they were the ones pushing it. I agree the problem would be with the eastern schools.

The thing about football is, its mostly chartered flights, if YSU leaves, and the Big10/12 and others cut down/eliminate the FCS games, scheduling is going to get very difficult and then another conference foe with a little bit of travel, looks better than another non-conference to the Big Sky, or lower division opponents.

Comment

The Big 12 still only has 10 schools. I'm just saying.

They will eventually fill those spots, so they can have a Conference Championship game.

I'd have to think N. Illinois would be a good pickup for them. (at least FB wise... not sure on NIU's other programs).

There is movement to come, for sure.

Comment

I for one would be in favor of the fighting Whioux getting a spot in the Summit and MVFC. I would find the matchup much more interesting than a Mo. St., or ISU-b. I can't imagine any pushback from the Summit teams other than competitively, the trend will always be towards the I-29 corridor. If travel is a concern in the MVFC, and if it is true that most MVFC are chartering flights to the Dakotas, I don't find being able to land at Grand Forks being objectionable when teams are now having to land at S.F. or S.C. and bussing to Brookings or Vermillion.

Am I wrong to suggest that attendance at MBB and FB contests in recent years have been better attended than average? If I'm correct, I assume that means your average Jackrabbit fan is more interested in an old conference foe and neighbor than a distant school in the Ohio River watershed.

Wasn't UND barred in large part from our conferences because of their nickname fiasco? I've always assumed that once their mandatory 5 years in the Big Sky were up and their nickname fiasco put to bed, they'd be knocking on the Summit/MVFC door.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post
                    I for one would be in favor of the fighting Whioux getting a spot in the Summit and MVFC. I would find the matchup much more interesting than a Mo. St., or ISU-b. I can't imagine any pushback from the Summit teams other than competitively, the trend will always be towards the I-29 corridor. If travel is a concern in the MVFC, and if it is true that most MVFC are chartering flights to the Dakotas, I don't find being able to land at Grand Forks being objectionable when teams are now having to land at S.F. or S.C. and bussing to Brookings or Vermillion.

Am I wrong to suggest that attendance at MBB and FB contests in recent years have been better attended than average? If I'm correct, I assume that means your average Jackrabbit fan is more interested in an old conference foe and neighbor than a distant school in the Ohio River watershed.

Wasn't UND barred in large part from our conferences because of their nickname fiasco? I've always assumed that once their mandatory 5 years in the Big Sky were up and their nickname fiasco put to bed, they'd be knocking on the Summit/MVFC door.
                    Would love to see UND in the Summit and MVFC.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      Would love to see UND in the Summit and MVFC.

Didn't Tom D. say that UND would not be considered for the summit until they had their nickname sorted out?

I think they technically still don't have that sorted out.

but then again maybe my memory is incorrect?

Comment

That was my understanding also, but I think it meant the "Fighting Sioux" nickname. That is resolved, I doubt there any concern with what the new name will be. So I would assume that the issue of hosting NCAA events etc. is sufficiently resolved that it is no longer a concern for Douple.

Comment

Until someone leaves the MVFC, I don't think that will be an option for UND.

However, I'm surprised that the Artist-Formerly-Know-As-Sioux haven't asked the Big Sky if they could keep their football membership in the conference while they join the Summit League in all other sports. This would give their football program a home while saving them a lot of money in all other sports (except Hockey) due to the reduction in travel costs. I can't imagine programs like Sac State, Portland State, and Southern Utah wouldn't be all for this, plus the Big Sky already has 2 affiliate football members in Cal Poly and Cal Davis.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

Adding UND does not necessarily mean more travel for the Eastern teams. Add an eastern school simultaneously, such as Eastern Illinois, Murray State, or Southeast Missouri and break into two divisions of 6. The four Dakotas, UNI and Mo State in the western division. The other 6 in the eastern division. Then play the five teams in your own division and three from the other. That would mean playing one Dakota on the road, one at home each year, and either UNI or Mo. State each year, alternating between home and road. Would actually be less travel for everyone. And UND and one of the fore mentioned mentioned Ohio Valley schools would be good additions for the Summit as well. Perhaps find another eastern non-football school to even out the Summit a little more or even UMKC.

Comment

Working...
                            X