SDSU Senior QB Finnes - Argus Leader Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Senior QB Finnes - Argus Leader Article

Nice article on Tyler Finnes - http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...erve/72359304/

In my mind the article missed on how good he is as a holder for extra points & field goals. I know Syrovatka was outstanding last year and should have received much more recognition than he did. It took a few minutes to find out the kicking game was very, very good last year. According to ESPN Syrovatka led all of Division I for combined field goal (95%) and extra point accuracy (100%). Here is the link - http://espn.go.com/college-football/...alPct/group/81

What should also be added is that this success was established during some really bad conditions (we don't play in a dome). The grass was iced over during the last two games in Brookings and it was crazy snowy and cold in Bozeman. Yet, the Jacks including Finnes scored 11 points in the kicking game and Montana State quit kicking and didn't score any points from the kicking game - http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fc...coring-summary

It would have been nice to see the media pick up on this and mention who was blocking up front, snapping, holding, etc.

Here is another idea for the Argus - tell us about some South Dakota walkons (i.e. Gottlob, Schuster, Goedert, Trenhaile, Cox, Eide, etc.) who have and are making a positive impact on the program.

Please add other story ideas here.......

Re: SDSU Senior QB Finnes - Argus Leader Article

I thought it was a good article.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I'm not going to add on any story ideas, cause that seems kind of weird. But I did enjoy the article.

I'm a little confused by your complaint, because I thought the article did do a decent job mentioning the kicking game, including specifically the Montana St. game.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I thought the article highlighted a great support player and the character of this young man. Give Zimmer a good grade for the article. He is striving to do the job of covering SDSU athletics. It is a bye week and we still get a dose.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Great write up. As a former walk on who had 180 degree outcomes in terms of playing time I have admiration for Finnes sticking it out with the team and being a leader in other ways. I also applaud him for putting academics first in choosing a school.

Nice job by Zimmer picking out a character role model to highlight. Can't win over everyone but I think he's doing a fine job since taking over the SDSU beat.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Great article! Impressed with Zimmer since taking over as beat writer.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Great write up. As a former walk on who had 180 degree outcomes in terms of playing time I have admiration for Finnes sticking it out with the team and being a leader in other ways. I also applaud him for putting academics first in choosing a school.

Nice job by Zimmer picking out a character role model to highlight. Can't win over everyone but I think he's doing a fine job since taking over the SDSU beat.
              I had no idea you where a walk on. None-the-less you had a great career at SDSU and this is a great article on Finnes. Funny how some fans like myself never notice the holder on PAT's. This kid will make some bucks as an engineer.

Comment

Working...
              X