Clear All

• Another jab at USD...

*burp*

http://www.thedailymeal.com/are-thes...b_tdm_search=0
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Re: Another jab at USD...

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    The picture is from our campus...
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      The picture is from our campus...

LOL. That's how you know an article is well researched.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Man... USD has the worst campus food in the United States, AND they can't even get a picture of their campus on the website, PLUS the Facebook link leads to SDSU...

Makes you almost feel sorry for our little brothers down south.... Almost.
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

This is preciesly why the Interwebs is destroying commentary. Any lazy person can make up a bunch of crap and have zero accountability for it. I do like the USD defender saying the sign of high cuisine is Papa John's, though. THAT one I'd like to believe.

Comment

When I read the "article", I wondered whether the error could have been in the identification of the school. Think about it: SDSU Jackrabbit Village picture; SDSU facebook link.

To save people the trouble of flipping back and forth to the linked article, here's what the article said about USD:

While it isn’t the food that is on campus that necessarily makes it the worst college (they are powered by Aramark, so you can form your own opinions there), they offer limited gourmet options on and around campus. Not to mention there is nothing that makes it stand out as a real food lover’s destination with no late-night options, iconic foods or memorable restaurants to speak of.

Oh oh. Does USD have Aramark? If only SDSU had a contract with Aramark,...... Whew: USD has Aramark too. Yeah, that's USD.

These ratings articles are just plain dumb. I give USD a pass on this one.

(Although, I am wondering if that big jar of pickled eggs still sits on the back counter at Carey's? Yoteforever, if you're reading this: those pickled eggs, half-floating in that big jar...you ate one, didn't you?!! I'd be willing to bet that 30 years later, yotemeal ate one too. Same jar, same eggs. )
            Last edited by JackJD; 09-09-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              When I read the "article", I wondered whether the error could have been in the identification of the school. Think about it: SDSU Jackrabbit Village picture; SDSU facebook link. Hmmmm.... I know SDSU has Aramark for food service. Does USD? I checked: Yes, they have Aramark too.
              I thought that may be the case too, but if you have been in the Student Union lately, you would see that there are ample food options. I'm not sure what USD has, but I assume it's less than what we have.

Regardless, the article obviously lacks credibility, so we probably shouldn't waste too much time debating it.

Comment

When I read the "article", I wondered whether the error could have been in the identification of the school. Think about it: SDSU Jackrabbit Village picture; SDSU facebook link. Hmmmm.... I know SDSU has Aramark for food service. Does USD? I checked: Yes, they have Aramark too.
                I wondered the same thing, to be honest. The only thing that made me think not, and it's highly dependent on what they mean by "on campus" is the last night about no memorable restaurants...my thoughts went to Nicks, Cubby's, Georges...ect...must've meant USD.

Do other uni's really have tons of restaurants and stuff physically on campus?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

My guess is they may have considered what was close to campus. Some schools have traditionally had a commercial area that catered to students and was located within a block or so of the campus proper (e.g. while you don't hear as much about it these days, U of Minnesota's Dinkytown was/is one such example). In towns like Vermillion and Brookings, EVERYTHING'S close to campus.

Comment

Better them then us, and to some one living in Arlington, Brookings and Watertown are food festivals compared to the local choices of 1481 Steaks and the Pheasant Diner or the third choice I can think of King Lanes who has pretty good broasted chicken, not the quality of Toby's in Meckling but close. But that's the sacrifice of living in Arlington and any student who comes from a Metro area and choices USD or SDSU is in for a culture shock.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                      This is preciesly why the Interwebs is destroying commentary. Any lazy person can make up a bunch of crap and have zero accountability for it. I do like the USD defender saying the sign of high cuisine is Papa John's, though. THAT one I'd like to believe.
                      Who knew Vermillion had so many gourmet choices near campus. Not only to do they have a Papa Johns, but they have a Chik Fil A, according to the same responder.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Better them then us, and to some one living in Arlington, Brookings and Watertown are food festivals compared to the local choices of 1481 Steaks and the Pheasant Diner or the third choice I can think of King Lanes who has pretty good broasted chicken, not the quality of Toby's in Meckling but close. But that's the sacrifice of living in Arlington and any student who comes from a Metro area and choices USD or SDSU is in for a culture shock.
                        I tried Toby's this summer because of recommendations I had seen on this board. Wow! That was amazing and I'm not even a huge fried chicken fan. I can't wait to go back.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          I thought that may be the case too, but if you have been in the Student Union lately, you would see that there are ample food options. I'm not sure what USD has, but I assume it's less than what we have.

Regardless, the article obviously lacks credibility, so we probably shouldn't waste too much time debating it.
                          I have been in USD's student union -- I think it's called the Coyotes Student Center -- and the food providers are somewhat comparable to those in SDSU's student center. I think SDSU may have a couple more choices but there are plenty of options at USD's student center.

Comment

When I read the "article", I wondered whether the error could have been in the identification of the school. Think about it: SDSU Jackrabbit Village picture; SDSU facebook link.

To save people the trouble of flipping back and forth to the linked article, here's what the article said about USD:

While it isn’t the food that is on campus that necessarily makes it the worst college (they are powered by Aramark, so you can form your own opinions there), they offer limited gourmet options on and around campus. Not to mention there is nothing that makes it stand out as a real food lover’s destination with no late-night options, iconic foods or memorable restaurants to speak of.

Oh oh. Does USD have Aramark? If only SDSU had a contract with Aramark,...... Whew: USD has Aramark too. Yeah, that's USD.

These ratings articles are just plain dumb. I give USD a pass on this one.

(Although, I am wondering if that big jar of pickled eggs still sits on the back counter at Carey's? Yoteforever, if you're reading this: those pickled eggs, half-floating in that big jar...you ate one, didn't you?!! I'd be willing to bet that 30 years later, yotemeal ate one too. Same jar, same eggs. )
                            You can make fun of campus food all you want, but until you have had a classic Careys egg in formaldehyde you haven't lived. Bring your own bacon, along with a South Dakota martini ( Red beer with olives ) and have a fantastic breakfast. I bet you can't get that in Brookings. Talk about gourmet. 😜

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              You can make fun of campus food all you want, but until you have had a classic Careys egg in formaldehyde you haven't lived. Bring your own bacon, along with a South Dakota martini ( Red beer with olives ) and have a fantastic breakfast. I bet you can't get that in Brookings. Talk about gourmet. ��
                              The pickled polish sausage at carpys was pretty legit. Probably would make a good breakfast.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X