For at least one week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For at least one week.

The Jackrabbits are 1-0 after beating an FBS Power 5 Conference school on the road.

The Bison are 0-1, after losing to a lower ranked FCS opponent.

I'm going to enjoy this week

Re: For at least one week.

Cal Poly 20, Montana 19 at Missoula yesterday. Poly wins it with seconds on the clock by a 49-yard field goal. (I figure this will somehow turn into smack.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Cal Poly 20, Montana 19 at Missoula yesterday. Poly wins it with seconds on the clock by a 49-yard field goal. (I figure this will somehow turn into smack.)
      Wow it doesn't get any closer than this Cal Poly must be back after an off year. This might not be a good year to play Them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Wow it doesn't get any closer than this Cal Poly must be back after an off year. This might not be a good year to play Them.
        I have no idea how good Cal Poly is,but you almost had to expect that Montana would have a letdown after winning the way they did last week. I'm sure everyone in Missoula has been patting them on the back and telling them they must be the top team in FCS since they beat the three-time defending champions. It's only a week into the season and they don't pick the playoff teams for a long time. It looks like it could be a more wide-open race than it has been for awhile

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I have no idea how good Cal Poly is,but you almost had to expect that Montana would have a letdown after winning the way they did last week. I'm sure everyone in Missoula has been patting them on the back and telling them they must be the top team in FCS since they beat the three-time defending champions. It's only a week into the season and they don't pick the playoff teams for a long time. It looks like it could be a more wide-open race than it has been for awhile
          Being picky I believe NDSU are four-peaters in terms of NC. Yes an open race.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Or the Bison and Montana aren't as predicted/advertised.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Yes many avenues of thought now.

Comment

That has to be one of the questions foremost on the minds of NDSU football fans. Add to that the growing concern about NDSU's Sept 19 matchup with UND in the FargoDome (and if there isn't growing concern, then start lining up mental-health experts from across the country: help is needed in Fargo).

Consider:

-----In the (13-team) Big Sky's pre-season media and coaches polls, UND was ranked 9th and 10th respectively. Weber State was ranked right behind UND, 10th in the media poll and 11th in the coach poll. Portland State was ranked 12th and 9th in the media and coaches polls. (Yeah, I know, polls are for fans but let’s keep those Big Sky rankings in mind.)

-----Yesterday, UND left Laramie with a 24-13 win over Coach Bohl's Cowboys. I watched Bohl'spost-game press conference and he was saying Wyoming just got beat.

-----Portland State won at Washington State yesterday 24-17. That's the same Portland State ranked worse than both UND and Weber by Big Sky media and but just ahead of both UND and Weber by Big Sky Coaches.

-----This coming weekend, the Bison host UND's conference mate, Weber State. Weber State lost 26-7 at Oregon State yesterday -- hard to tell what that means. Oregon State has a new coach but it did return at least some experience and was playing at home. (Not sport-politically correct to refer to moral victories so I'll say it was a pretty good showing and leave it at that).

-----Next up for UND is a home game against Drake out of the Pioneer League (no athletic scholarships -- typically the Pioneer League schools, when meeting an MVFC team, are chewed into little rubber pellets used in Field Turf. Facilities using FieldTurf are finding its less expensive to schedule a Pioneer opponent – say, Valpo or Drake – rather than buying a few truckloads of those pellets every few years.

-----Today, it doesn't take a Las Vegas oddsmaker to predict UND will enter the Fargo Dome 2-0 on Sept 19. NDSU should be 1-1 but, after (1)Poly's win at Montana; (2) Weber’s showing at Oregon State; and (3) to throw in another factor, Portland State’s win over Washington State and then giving some credence to what Big Sky media and coaches seem to think about Portland State vis-à-vis UND and Weber, it seems an 0-2 NDSU on the morning of September 19 when a couple of buses roll into Fargo from GrandForks, is realistically possible.

Personally, I want to see NDSU win the next two weekends. If the Bison don't, they may single-handidly cause the Big Sky to appear to be a much stronger conference than the MVFC this year and none of us will like that come playoff time.

Comment

That has to be one of the questions foremost on the minds of NDSU football fans. Add to that the growing concern about NDSU's Sept 19 matchup with UND in the FargoDome (and if there isn't growing concern, then start lining up mental-health experts from across the country: help is needed in Fargo).

Consider:

-----In the (13-team) Big Sky's pre-season media and coaches polls, UND was ranked 9th and 10th respectively. Weber State was ranked right behind UND, 10th in the media poll and 11th in the coach poll. Portland State was ranked 12th and 9th in the media and coaches polls. (Yeah, I know, polls are for fans but let’s keep those Big Sky rankings in mind.)

-----Yesterday, UND left Laramie with a 24-13 win over Coach Bohl's Cowboys. I watched Bohl'spost-game press conference and he was saying Wyoming just got beat.

-----Portland State won at Washington State yesterday 24-17. That's the same Portland State ranked worse than both UND and Weber by Big Sky media and but just ahead of both UND and Weber by Big Sky Coaches.

-----This coming weekend, the Bison host UND's conference mate, Weber State. Weber State lost 26-7 at Oregon State yesterday -- hard to tell what that means. Oregon State has a new coach but it did return at least some experience and was playing at home. (Not sport-politically correct to refer to moral victories so I'll say it was a pretty good showing and leave it at that).

-----Next up for UND is a home game against Drake out of the Pioneer League (no athletic scholarships -- typically the Pioneer League schools, when meeting an MVFC team, are chewed into little rubber pellets used in Field Turf. Facilities using FieldTurf are finding its less expensive to schedule a Pioneer opponent – say, Valpo or Drake – rather than buying a few truckloads of those pellets every few years.

-----Today, it doesn't take a Las Vegas oddsmaker to predict UND will enter the Fargo Dome 2-0 on Sept 19. NDSU should be 1-1 but, after (1)Poly's win at Montana; (2) Weber’s showing at Oregon State; and (3) to throw in another factor, Portland State’s win over Washington State and then giving some credence to what Big Sky media and coaches seem to think about Portland State vis-à-vis UND and Weber, it seems an 0-2 NDSU on the morning of September 19 when a couple of buses roll into Fargo from GrandForks, is realistically possible.

Personally, I want to see NDSU win the next two weekends. If the Bison don't, they may single-handidly cause the Big Sky to appear to be a much stronger conference than the MVFC this year and none of us will like that come playoff time.
                  Outstanding post here, JD. If this first week proved one thing it is that the gap between the two levels of D-1 continues to close...

Comment

Outstanding post here, JD. If this first week proved one thing it is that the gap between the two levels of D-1 continues to close...
                    Something that the larger upper divisions are colluding to prevent from being common knowledge, I wonder if said collusion could be found illegal in court in any of the states which house these institutions? Because their edict to not play FCS teams has a direct (-)financial impact on the lower level schools. If someone were to try an obtain a contract and not get one, I wonder if it would be something that could be cause for a suit.

Just odd ramblings of my mind (and the fact that ppl sue over anything). But hey some law school grad cold take up said cause on their own volition.

Comment

It's obviously (way) early, but by my count 8 of the top 10 (preseason) FCS teams already have a loss. We essentially picked up a "bonus" win and have a leg up on all of them. I expect that it will be the typical tangled mess when it is time to select playoff teams and hand out seeds. Starting off +1 in the win column will be huge if we can just take care of business going forward. This win is an opportunity to get something bigger done.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

Just odd ramblings of my mind (and the fact that ppl sue over anything). But hey some law school grad cold take up said cause on their own volition.
                        Really? Don't take common cliches as fact. Many times cliches simply are not factual. That's one of several reasons your freshman comp instructor told you to not use cliches in your writing.

Following up on earlier post: remaining regular season match ups between Big Sky teams and Valley teams:
                        Sept 12
                        So Utah at SDSU
                        Eastern Washington at UNI
                        Weber State at NDSU
                        USD at UC-Davis

Sept 19
                        UND at NDSU
                        UNI at Cal Poly

The Valley teams have to win all of the match ups.
                        Last edited by JackJD; 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Really? Don't take common cliches as fact. Many times cliches simply are not factual. That's one of several reasons your freshman comp instructor told you to not use cliches in your writing.

Following up on earlier post: remaining regular season match ups between Big Sky teams and Valley teams:
                          Sept 12
                          So Utah at SDSU
                          Eastern Washington at UNI
                          Weber State at NDSU
                          USD at UC-Davis

Sept 19
                          UND at NDSU
                          UNI at Cal Poly

The Valley teams have to win all of the match ups.
                          So what you are saying, JD, is to not judge a cliche by its cover?

Comment

Good one!

Comment

Good one!
                              Don't count your cliches before they're hatched.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X