Some MVFC Roster Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some MVFC Roster Observations

The other day I did a quick count (meaning: may be off one or two) of the rosters of SDSU, NDSU and USD. SDSU and NDSU appear to each list 109 players on their rosters online while USD lists 94. The rosters continue to show, as they traditionally have, their respective regional rosters. By that I mean it is more accurate to draw a circle around a school rather than consider strict state boundaries. USD traditionally draws well from Iowa and Nebraska; NDSU and SDSU traditionally draw well from Minnesota.

SDSU's roster shows the top home states for the players are: 25 from South Dakota; 18 from Minnesota; 15 from Nebraska; and 11 from Iowa. Next would be Arizona with 10.
    NDSU has 33 from Minnesota, 18 from Wisconsin and 17 from North Dakota. (There are 5 South Dakotans wearing green and yellow this season.)
    USD has 21 from Iowa; 13 from South Dakota; and 11 from Nebraska. They list 7 from Florida.

Again, the numbers listed above are from a real quick count of the online rosters and may not be perfect. One of the South Dakotans I included in SDSU's count is #43, RFr Rufus Martin who lists his hometown as Bastrop, LA but he played for Harrisburg, SD.
    Last edited by JackJD; 09-03-2015, 05:41 AM.

Re: Some MVFC Roster Observations

NDSU has a long history of kids from Sioux Falls being major contributors. Has SDSU had any ND players contribute down there, or even on the roster in the last 10-20 years. I cannot think of any. That being said for only having 100,000 more people the state of SD seems to produce more D1 athletes than ND.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
      NDSU has a long history of kids from Sioux Falls being major contributors. Has SDSU had any ND players contribute down there, or even on the roster in the last 10-20 years. I cannot think of any. That being said for only having 100,000 more people the state of SD seems to produce more D1 athletes than ND.
      Well there was Ted Wahl and some guy named Pete Retzlaff.

Comment

I also noticed in SDSU's 2015 media guide that Chris Little was still listed on the roster. Is this a similar situation as Douglas had last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Well there was Ted Wahl and some guy named Pete Retzlaff.
          Oops you said last 20 years. If skip over any state and never recruit that state then I think you know the answer. It's like asking how many North Carolina players do we have? The answer is None because we do not recruit in NC and the same can be said for North Dakota. And why does NDSU have to come to SD to get players? That suggests to me that ND local talent is not so good.

Comment

Oops you said last 20 years. If skip over any state and never recruit that state then I think you know the answer. It's like asking how many North Carolina players do we have? The answer is None because we do not recruit in NC and the same can be said for North Dakota. And why does NDSU have to come to SD to get players? That suggests to me that ND local talent is not so good.
            I'm not sure I'd say ND talent is not so good. While Minnesota has been the bread and butter for NDSU athletes since my school days in the 80's, NDSU has found key talent in their back yard much like the Huskers have in Nebraska. It may not always be the skill positions, but you need foundation pieces like linemen, linebackers, TE's and fullbacks that can come from farm communities or modest sized towns in the Midwest.

What hits me more about us not recruiting in North Dakota and NDSU having some pull from SD is the border. North Dakota borders Canada, Minnesota, South Dakota and Montana. Based on NDSU's proximity they really can only recruit neighboring states of Minnesota and SD with a little more reach into Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska. Canada produces some fine hockey and even a modest number of basketball/baseball players, but they don't have the high school tradition in football that we experience south of the border. We (SDSU) are much more fortunate to have a strong regional presence of high school talent in neighboring states. However, for us to put too much effort in North Dakota is difficult with their strong commitment to NDSU and to a lesser part UND. It is much more prudent for us to hit the I-29 corridor south into Omaha/KC and regions 200 miles around Sioux Falls.

Comment

And why does NDSU have to come to SD to get players?
              That's simple...because we can.

Comment

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
                That's simple...because we can.
                I can say the reason that SDSU does not go ND is that there is no talent to had. It's out of need that NDSU comes south of the boarder. And good for you for doing so.

Comment

I can say the reason that SDSU does not go ND is that there is no talent to had. It's out of need that NDSU comes south of the boarder. And good for you for doing so.
                  You could say that...but championships would disagree with you...

Comment

There are a few reasons for this.

1. fewer D-I football players, state is smaller, hockey has a larger impact

2. simply recruiting, unless there is a reason SDSU is not going to go recruit North Dakota, for base recruiting (talking, home visits), most of it is done by car, and it would just be way out of the way for a coach to go to Minot, to look at 1 recruit when you could go to Minneapolis and visit 5. The reason why NDSU can recruit South Dakota easier is because when its going to Lincoln or Kansas City it can swing through Sioux Falls or Eastern South Dakota and make recruiting visits.

3. Why North Dakota State gets North Dakota kids is for a few reasons, one is much of instate recruiting comes from the recruits side, not the Universities, and if its a big time recruit, you know about them since they are very young and you are putting the full-court press on at an early age.

So in conclusion, its not that one state is better or the one school recruits better but I'd argue that its a factor of a few things, smaller population, hockey a bigger competition among the athletes and geography of the state in relations to other recruiting area factor into why SDSU has had few if any North Dakota recruits compared to NDSU having South Dakota recruits

Comment

You could say that...but championships would disagree with you...
                      And I can also Say: Bison this and Bison That. I did not take you for a BB, a Bison bragger, but once again I am wrong. Back to topic.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        There are a few reasons for this.

1. fewer D-I football players, state is smaller, hockey has a larger impact

2. simply recruiting, unless there is a reason SDSU is not going to go recruit North Dakota, for base recruiting (talking, home visits), most of it is done by car, and it would just be way out of the way for a coach to go to Minot, to look at 1 recruit when you could go to Minneapolis and visit 5. The reason why NDSU can recruit South Dakota easier is because when its going to Lincoln or Kansas City it can swing through Sioux Falls or Eastern South Dakota and make recruiting visits.

3. Why North Dakota State gets North Dakota kids is for a few reasons, one is much of instate recruiting comes from the recruits side, not the Universities, and if its a big time recruit, you know about them since they are very young and you are putting the full-court press on at an early age.

So in conclusion, its not that one state is better or the one school recruits better but I'd argue that its a factor of a few things, smaller population, hockey a bigger competition among the athletes and geography of the state in relations to other recruiting area factor into why SDSU has had few if any North Dakota recruits compared to NDSU having South Dakota recruits
                        I agree with pretty much everything said here...(but I do think we still recruit better ). In all seriousness, there is no reason for SDSU to recruit North Dakota for the above reasons...not enough talent to warrant the time spent...and going head to head in ND I wouldn't think SDSU would fair too well if matching offers with NDSU. I honestly don't know how well NDSU does with recruits in SD when matching offers with SDSU. I know we get some...but no idea on the percentages.

Comment

And I can also Say: Bison this and Bison That. I did not take you for a BB, a Bison bragger, but once again I am wrong. Back to topic.
                          It was just in fun...you let one hang and I swung for the fence.

Comment

It was just in fun...you let one hang and I swung for the fence.
                            Yes I know! I wished SDSU had several NC to brag about but we don't.

Comment

Yes I know! I wished SDSU had several NC to brag about but we don't.
                              We have that one game where Cory Konieg broke a 50ish yarder I think on 4th down against the bison though. That was a good game.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X