• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

http://www.inforum.com/sports/382603...rship-athletes

I love it...glad its all or none
    BISON FOOTBALL

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
    This is an absolute game changer. The rest of the schools in the MVFC and Summit better get on board or be left in the dust. NDSU is simply way ahead of us and all other schools in our conferences (MVFC, Summit) when it comes to being pro-active on things like this. If you don't believe that...you are fooling yourselves.

Football recruiting for 2016 kids just got a whole lot harder today!

In the end, good for NDSU for doing this. It pushes the envelope of competitiveness in our leagues. If you can't keep up your going to get left behind.

Comment

It's the coming thing.

I agree with BTownJack that the conference schools will have to get on board. No doubt all D1 schools have been discussing the subject. We have an extra challenge compared to NDSU: SDSU sponsors 21 athletic teams; NDSU sponsors 16.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        This is an absolute game changer. The rest of the schools in the MVFC and Summit better get on board or be left in the dust. NDSU is simply way ahead of us and all other schools in our conferences (MVFC, Summit) when it comes to being pro-active on things like this. If you don't believe that...you are fooling yourselves.

Football recruiting for 2016 kids just got a whole lot harder today!

In the end, good for NDSU for doing this. It pushes the envelope of competitiveness in our leagues. If you can't keep up your going to get left behind.
        I agree with everything here. However, it's going to be impossible for some schools to do this. This really changes the competitive landscape of the FCS. I don't think schools like SDSU have a choice not to move toward this.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          It's the coming thing.

I agree with BTownJack that the conference schools will have to get on board. No doubt all D1 schools have been discussing the subject. We have an extra challenge compared to NDSU: SDSU sponsors 21 athletic teams; NDSU sponsors 16.
          While I agree with you....we are already behind. They have 16 sports vs. our 21 and their overall budget is higher than ours. That needs to change.

Comment

While I agree with you....we are already behind. They have 16 sports vs. our 21 and their overall budget is higher than ours. That needs to change.
            You guys are lucky you have Stig. Good coach and hasn't threatened to leave for more money. NDSU has to keep paying their FB coaches more and more money as they seem on the cusp of leaving.

Comment

Moved this to its own thread. I put it in the MVFC forum but maybe it should have stayed in "College Athletics." Dunno, only had one cup of coffee so far this morning.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I thought originally the talk of schools being allowed to do this would fall on the confrences to OK or set their own amounts that the schools could offer.

Part of me is a little uneasy with schools doing this.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

But since we have more athletes,* the cost of this change will be much greater for SDSU. As you point out, we're apparently still not funding some sports at the same level so this may get a little painful.

* added later: after writing "since we have more athletes"... that's an assumption on my part but I suppose the fact we have more sports does not necessarily mean we have more athletes on scholarships. The article on NDSU's decision states NDSU has 192 scholarship athletes. I think SDSU has more but that may not be correct -- I have not looked up the actual numbers on student athletes receiving scholarships at SDSU.

Comment

Bison going to pay all athletes

Yeah, this isn't going to help recruiting for the Jacks.

http://www.gobison.com/news/2015/8/2...827151543.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      But since we have more athletes,* the cost of this change will be much greater for SDSU. As you point out, we're apparently still not funding some sports at the same level so this may get a little painful.

* added later: after writing "since we have more athletes"... that's an assumption on my part but I suppose the fact we have more sports does not necessarily mean we have more athletes on scholarships. The article on NDSU's decision states NDSU has 192 scholarship athletes. I think SDSU has more but that may not be correct -- I have not looked up the actual numbers on student athletes receiving scholarships at SDSU.
                      I'm fairly certain we are well north of 200 scholarships available across all of our sports...again, we should/better be with 5 more sports.

I'm comparing this situation to when we went D-I...everything regarding our department had to go from a D-II mindset to a D-I mindset. Funding, budget, scholarships, recruiting, fan support, donor involvement, etc.

I would say NDSU is pushing toward an FBS mentality with a move like this. And schools like ours are more stuck on a FCS mentality.

This will certainly separate the men from the boys. Could get messy I'm afraid.

Comment

Re: NDSU to pay "Cost of Attendence"

Classic "It's hard to keep up with the Jones".........dilemma. Must be those outside donors who have 150 ,or so ,oil wells sitting on their property.

Comment

I understand how this works with basketball where a scholarship is a full scholarship, but what about other sports where they split them up? Does the student athlete get the whole Cost of Attendance stipend, or is it pro-rated out to their % of scholarship?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            I understand how this works with basketball where a scholarship is a full scholarship, but what about other sports where they split them up? Does the student athlete get the whole Cost of Attendance stipend, or is it pro-rated out to their % of scholarship?
                            Full = FCOA
                            Half = 1/2 COA
                            BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              Classic "It's hard to keep up with the Jones".........dilemma. Must be those outside donors who have 150 ,or so ,oil wells sitting on their property.
                              keep telling yourself its all because of oil.....those wells aint pumping big dollars out right now, lots on lockdown and even rights owners have had to tighten their belts

point is it would have happened regardless, no oil within 5 hours of NDSU and its main donors
                              BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                              X