Van Ginkel and Snyder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Ginkel and Snyder

Yes, I took a bunch of heat on here saying our coaches know more then me about recruiting, especially from Nidaros! Picked up the paper this morning about Van Ginkel and got sent an article last night about Snyder. I was right on with both these two guys. 4 year starters and future All Americans in our own backyard and neither got a damn offer. Our staff and I attended the Iowa Football clinic two weeks ago. I was visiting with Coach Doyle head of strength and conditioning department. I asked him how Snyder was doing. He said he broke Bob Sanders all time clean record and missed his all time squat record by 15 pounds as a true freshman. He said his shuttle and 10 yard time were also amongst the best all time for safeties at Iowa. Our staff doesn't think he would be fast enough? The kid, from all indications, grew up wanting to be a Jack! So then last weekend I'm visiting with a defensive coach from USD. I ask about Van Ginkel. He spends then next 10 minutes raving about this kid. More talented, harder worker, and better attitude than the last stud to play defensive end. I saw him dunk it 6 times in a game at 6'4" 200 lbs. I personally texted one of our coaches to get up to see this kid. Our staff doesn't think there is a position for him? You can continue to call me stupid or a NW Iowa biased alum. I will continue to believe we have to get the best inside the 150 mile radius. I don't want a bunch of local kids who can't compete with NDSU. These were two big misses by our program and as a former player I'm not happy about it. Our head coach and coordinators should be able to do a better job sifting through the area talent!

See todays argus leader about Andrew Van Ginkel

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...lson/25385319/

Re: Van Ginkel and Snyder

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Good to hear that these two are players are finding success at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
        Yes, I took a bunch of heat on here saying our coaches know more then me about recruiting, especially from Nidaros! Picked up the paper this morning about Van Ginkel and got sent an article last night about Snyder. I was right on with both these two guys. 4 year starters and future All Americans in our own backyard and neither got a damn offer. Our staff and I attended the Iowa Football clinic two weeks ago. I was visiting with Coach Doyle head of strength and conditioning department. I asked him how Snyder was doing. He said he broke Bob Sanders all time clean record and missed his all time squat record by 15 pounds as a true freshman. He said his shuttle and 10 yard time were also amongst the best all time for safeties at Iowa. Our staff doesn't think he would be fast enough? The kid, from all indications, grew up wanting to be a Jack! So then last weekend I'm visiting with a defensive coach from USD. I ask about Van Ginkel. He spends then next 10 minutes raving about this kid. More talented, harder worker, and better attitude than the last stud to play defensive end. I saw him dunk it 6 times in a game at 6'4" 200 lbs. I personally texted one of our coaches to get up to see this kid. Our staff doesn't think there is a position for him? You can continue to call me stupid or a NW Iowa biased alum. I will continue to believe we have to get the best inside the 150 mile radius. I don't want a bunch of local kids who can't compete with NDSU. These were two big misses by our program and as a former player I'm not happy about it. Our head coach and coordinators should be able to do a better job sifting through the area talent!

Snyder is at Iowa, I don't know why we didn't offer him, maybe because he already had an offer at Iowa. As for Van Ginkel, sounds like a good find for USD. He sounds like a great athlete. But here is where our current LB roster is from: Sioux Falls, Crete NE, Aberdeen, Maple Grove MN, Inver Grove MN, St helena NE, Wentworth SD, Crofton NE, Sioux Center Ia, Watertown SD, Lincoln NE, Beatrice NE. We also have other guys outside of the local area, namely TJ Lally, JT Hassel. We didn't offer Van Ginkel, that is how it works sometimes. Snyder was good enough for the Big 10, he should be in the Big 10. Until USD is beating us year in and year out with players we "missed" on, so be it.

Comment

Yes, I took a bunch of heat on here saying our coaches know more then me about recruiting, especially from Nidaros! Picked up the paper this morning about Van Ginkel and got sent an article last night about Snyder. I was right on with both theshttp://www.hawkcentral.com/story/spo...lson/25385319/
          ZING

Comment

Former Jacks WR now DE Keely offered by Ohio...

Reiver Football@reiverfootball 6m6 minutes ago
            DE Stacy Keely has been offered by #Ohio #Bobcats

Comment

Perhaps you should wait until these two play a down before you get hurt slapping yourself on the back.

Comment

You personally texted a coach about a player you have no ties too except the fact you are both from NW Iowa??

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                  You personally texted a coach about a player you have no ties too except the fact you are both from NW Iowa??
                  A coach on their staff lived in Sioux Falls in the early 2000's. We became pretty good friends. We talk/text every couple months. We usually don't talk about players, but he knows my relationship with the Rock Valley coaches, so he filled me in on Van Ginkel's progress.

JACK POWER - You're right that I believe their future is bright, but we have no idea what is in store for either of these two players. They are an injury away from playing their last down of football. But if your #2 on the depth chart as a freshman at a B1G school, I'm fairly certain they'd be starting at SDSU. Just very frustrated that I felt so strongly about both of them and a coach on our staff questioned their ability to play in Brookings.

Comment

Good God it gets old rehashing the same NW Iowa crap every couple months.

Comment

A coach on their staff lived in Sioux Falls in the early 2000's. We became pretty good friends. We talk/text every couple months. We usually don't talk about players, but he knows my relationship with the Rock Valley coaches, so he filled me in on Van Ginkel's progress.

JACK POWER - You're right that I believe their future is bright, but we have no idea what is in store for either of these two players. They are an injury away from playing their last down of football. But if your #2 on the depth chart as a freshman at a B1G school, I'm fairly certain they'd be starting at SDSU. Just very frustrated that I felt so strongly about both of them and a coach on our staff questioned their ability to play in Brookings.
                      If he's No. 2 on the depth chart at Iowa, he wasn't coming here.

Comment

Silly us, the SDSU coaching staff can't seem to hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel when it comes to recruiting in North West Iowa. How are the tulips doing down there?

Comment

In your first post you said the coach stated we didn't know if we had a position for him, now you say they question his ability. Those are two very distinctly different statements, What actually did the coach say? . Not having a position for him means we have already had or have commitments or a number of platers at LB and that we need to allocate our Scholarship offers to other positions of need. If the coach questioned if the kids ability would translate to playing at SDSU, well you win some and lose some. Either way, this is the inexact science of football recruiting. The NFL gets it wrong all the time too. So do everyone a favor and quit hammering our coaching staff for not recruiting a kid, support our coaches and the kids they do get in here. Van Ginkel and Snyder, they are getting a chance to play football at the next level, good for them.

Comment

Aside from the fact that neither Snyder nor Van Ginkel have played a down of college football, the only true way to tell if we "missed" on a player is to not only look at the success of the player we didn't recruit, but also the one(s) we offered over him.

If I recall correctly, Dan Jackson mentioned in a radio interview that Makiah Slade has a decent chance of starting for the Jacks at safety as a RS Freshman, and I'd assume his commitment is one of the reasons Snyder didn't get offered. Hypothetically, let's say Slade goes on to be an All American and Snyder becomes a serviceable starter for Iowa. If so, would anyone really say we should have offered Snyder over Slade?

In conclusion: It'll be a while before we can give a valid arm-chair analysis of our recruiting decisions in regards to Snyder and Van Ginkel. I actually would love to see Snyder be successful at Iowa, as I like see local kids do well. As for Van Ginkel, I'm fine with any personal success he finds in Vermillion, but won't be rooting for any team success for him
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              ...................How are the tulips doing down there?
                              Growing leaps and bounds everyday, just like your post count.

Comment

Working...
                              X