Western Regional 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Regional 2015

Jacks had a solid outing in the Western Regional (aka - Western Wrestling Conference). Cody Pack qualifies for his 3rd NCAA Championships while heavyweight JJ Everard pulled off the upset in punching his ticket. Three others made the finals, but failed to earn the automatic qualifier.

Pack dominated NDSU's Nehring in the semifinals, 17-5. Then he used workmanlike fashion to post a 6-2 victory over Wyoming's Archie Colgan.

JJ Everard had the tougher road. He opened up with a 3-2 OT victory over Utah Valley's Jordan Karst. He then avenged earlier season losses to Wyoming's Tanner Harms and NDSU's Evan Knutson with 5-3 victories to win the heavyweight crown.

Luke Zilverberg lost a tough 7-6 OT match to NDSU's Mitch Bengston. Brance Simms and Alex Kocer also lost in the finals.

Complete brackets for the Western Regional can be found here. Bono's team finished 3rd in the team standings, only 11 points behind champion NDSU.

Re: Western Regional 2015

It's unfortunate that SDSU's wrestlers only sent 2 to the NCAA's. The conference sent 19 to the NCAA's. This was based on each weight class sending a certain number of qualifiers based on three categories. Of our 5 conference finalists, JJ Everard was the only Jackrabbit in a weight class that was sending more than the conference champion to the NCAA Championships.

The complete qualification criteria from the NCAA can be found here. While the Western Wrestling Conference can't be compared to the B1G TEN, which qualified 86 wrestlers, the WWC qualified 19. This is the same amount as the PAC-12 and more than the Eastern Wrestling League and the Southern Conference.

Comment

Under the NCAA web site, they have the coaches rankings and RPI rankings for each weight class.

Cody Pack is ranked #6 by the coaches and carries a #10 RPI ranking.

JJ Everard is not ranked under either classification. It is interesting that both wrestlers he beat in the semifinals and finals are ranked. NDSU's Knutson has #13/#18 rankings and Wyoming's Tanner Harms has #22/#15 rankings. Knutson qualified for the NCAA Championships and Harms did not. I'd expect a tough draw for Everard in St. Louis.

Comment

It looks like Nate Rotert has moved on, too. The person that he wrestles in the 1st round has a record similar to him. It will be interesting to see how all three do.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if Nate wrestles and how effectively he does so if he does compete. He's been wrestling the past month (since Oregon State dual) with a severely injured shoulder and trying to pick and choose spots as to when he actually competes based on team needs for a dual, competition, etc. I believe he'll have surgery on the shoulder immediately after the season is over.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
            It will be interesting to see if Nate wrestles and how effectively he does so if he does compete. He's been wrestling the past month (since Oregon State dual) with a severely injured shoulder and trying to pick and choose spots as to when he actually competes based on team needs for a dual, competition, etc. I believe he'll have surgery on the shoulder immediately after the season is over.
            He forfeited through the west regional. I'd be surprised if he wrestles. You'd think if he was going to wrestle in the national tourney he would have wrestled at regionals.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              He forfeited through the west regional. I'd be surprised if he wrestles. You'd think if he was going to wrestle in the national tourney he would have wrestled at regionals.
              From everything I've heard, he is going to wrestle. Just not sure how effectively...
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                From everything I've heard, he is going to wrestle. Just not sure how effectively...
                Interesting. You know why he didn't wrestle in the regional?

Comment

Rotert lost his first match, 5-3. His weight class had only two automatic qualifiers. For him to come back and get the second one would have been difficult. A lot of matches on his shoulder in just one day.

Comment

Probably like one of ours. Our Knutson injured his ankle during the HWT title match with your Everard. Since the WWC had two autobids in that weight class, Knutson and Harms from Wyo should have had a true second place match to determine the second autobid. But Knutson knew that his national ranking virtually guaranteed him one of the at-large selections, so he chose to medically forfeit the match to prevent any additional damage to his ankle. And it worked. Knutson got an at-large, so he, Everard and Harms will all be representing the WWC at nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Rotert lost his first match, 5-3. His weight class had only two automatic qualifiers. For him to come back and get the second one would have been difficult. A lot of matches on his shoulder in just one day.
                      I see I thought he forfeited all the way through.

Not sure I see the reasoning behind forfeiting though. In order to get the true second even if he wins the first round he has to wrestle a minimum of two more matches to get the true second place finish. Even losing the first one he would only have to wrestly three. Not much of a difference between winning the first round and losing when there are only 6 guys in your weight class.

http://www.gojacks.com/pdf9/3259328.pdf

Best case he wins his first two and forfeits the final and hopes that the one of the guys he beat fights his way back into the true 2nd match.

I'm kinda of the mindset of get in and get the thing fixed so you can rehab and be back at 100% for the start of next season. Yu Darvish for the Rangers is a perfect example. He had arm problems at the end of last season. Instead of having surgery they waited all winter. He pitches one inning in spring training and finds his arm still isn't right. They then elect to do have Tommy John. He won't be back until sometime mid 2016 now and will likely have an innings limit. Had he done the surgery right away he could potentially be starting a come back the end of this season with an innings limit.

Hopefully Nate can come back 100% next fall. He's got a bright future.
                      Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 03-14-2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I see I thought he forfeited all the way through.

Not sure I see the reasoning behind forfeiting though. In order to get the true second even if he wins the first round he has to wrestle a minimum of two more matches to get the true second place finish. Even losing the first one he would only have to wrestly three. Not much of a difference between winning the first round and losing when there are only 6 guys in your weight class.

http://www.gojacks.com/pdf9/3259328.pdf

Best case he wins his first two and forfeits the final and hopes that the one of the guys he beat fights his way back into the true 2nd match.

I'm kinda of the mindset of get in and get the thing fixed so you can rehab and be back at 100% for the start of next season. Yu Darvish for the Rangers is a perfect example. He had arm problems at the end of last season. Instead of having surgery they waited all winter. He pitches one inning in spring training and finds his arm still isn't right. They then elect to do have Tommy John. He won't be back until sometime mid 2016 now and will likely have an innings limit. Had he done the surgery right away he could potentially be starting a come back the end of this season with an innings limit.

Hopefully Nate can come back 100% next fall. He's got a bright future.
                        You must be reading that wrong. Rotert(SDSU) and Petersen(NDSU) wrestled in match #18, where Petersen won in a 5-3 decision. Rotert then had a bye, and then medically forfeited match #58 to Thomas(UVU).

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          You must be reading that wrong. Rotert(SDSU) and Petersen(NDSU) wrestled in match #18, where Petersen won in a 5-3 decision. Rotert then had a bye, and then medically forfeited match #58 to Thomas(UVU).
                          Did you read the thread?

I'm not reading anything wrong.

Comment

Did you read the thread?

I'm not reading anything wrong.
                            Sorry. I misread the line of yours that I bolded. I thought you were restating that Rotert had forfeited all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                              Sorry. I misread the line of yours that I bolded. I thought you were restating that Rotert had forfeited all the way through.
                              No sir. I probably could have used a comma to make that a tad more clear.

I actually followed the tourney a bit on my phone and missed that he wrestled and lost his first match thus my incorrect original statement that he forfeited his way through the tourney.

Comment

Working...
                              X