X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD tops Avila. What?

I'll save you the time.

You'll read USD hosted Avila University in non-conference action, winning 84-60.

Avila.
    What's that?

I looked it up. NAIA school in Kansas City...1,971 student (smaller than Watertown's Lake Area Technical Institute). Started in 1916...fairly selective enrollment requirements. Run by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (order of Catholic nuns who run a several schools including grade schools and high schools).

Congrats to the Yotes! Above 500 again for the season.

Re: USD tops Avila. What?

Decided to move this thread to the smack section after watching KELO-TV Sports. KELO had some highlights of the Avila at USD game. I was reading and only partially watching TV. At first I thought USD had really pulled off a great "red-out" in the DakotaDome. Man, the whole place was uniformly red. Then I realized those were just the empty seats. So, I checked the game stats on GoYotes.com. The official attendance was listed as 1250. Really? Okay, that may be possible if one of two events occurred: (1) USD hired the ticket manager from Oral Roberts and he went to work this week; or (2) all the fans sat on the same side of the Dome where the KELO TV camera was located so that all fans were behind the camera.

I decided to rewind the Midco DVR and look again at the KELO clip. If there were 50 people in the east side bleachers, I'll eat my red Coyote cap (yep, I've got one...actually, it's a pretty nice cap and I'm not very interested in eating it.) Watching the game highlights on stop action and slow-mo courtesy of the Midco DVR box...maybe 70 students, 80 tops, in the south end bleachers; maybe, maybe about 95 in the entire east side -- can't be more than 100. North bleachers only partially visible and looked about as "crowded" (using that word cautiously) as the south bleachers -- maybe 70-80 souls. Can't tell what's on the west (behind the camera). Must have been real crowded to get the total to 1250.

Comment

1250 is also a made up number. You should never put a 0 or a 5 at the end of the number. Same with putting a time on something. Never end in :00 or :05.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Maybe 1,150 of the people left right after tip-off. Based on the attendance figure for the game, I guess the Board of Regents can expect USD to enjoy a massive increase in ticket revenue this year.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          1250 is also a made up number. You should never put a 0 or a 5 at the end of the number. Same with putting a time on something. Never end in :00 or :05.
          Well, geez, I didn't want to accuse them of fudging the numbers!

Comment

I am glad they won. Its a win for the entire state of South Dakota. Some big stuff

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Decided to move this thread to the smack section after watching KELO-TV Sports. KELO had some highlights of the Avila at USD game. I was reading and only partially watching TV. At first I thought USD had really pulled off a great "red-out" in the DakotaDome. Man, the whole place was uniformly red. Then I realized those were just the empty seats. So, I checked the game stats on GoYotes.com. The official attendance was listed as 1250. Really? Okay, that may be possible if one of two events occurred: (1) USD hired the ticket manager from Oral Roberts and he went to work this week; or (2) all the fans sat on the same side of the Dome where the KELO TV camera was located so that all fans were behind the camera.

I decided to rewind the Midco DVR and look again at the KELO clip. If there were 50 people in the east side bleachers, I'll eat my red Coyote cap (yep, I've got one...actually, it's a pretty nice cap and I'm not very interested in eating it.) Watching the game highlights on stop action and slow-mo courtesy of the Midco DVR box...maybe 70 students, 80 tops, in the south end bleachers; maybe, maybe about 95 in the entire east side -- can't be more than 100. North bleachers only partially visible and looked about as "crowded" (using that word cautiously) as the south bleachers -- maybe 70-80 souls. Can't tell what's on the west (behind the camera). Must have been real crowded to get the total to 1250.
              They counted arms and legs and forgot to divide by 4.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I'll save you the time.

You'll read USD hosted Avila University in non-conference action, winning 84-60.

Avila.
                What's that?

I looked it up. NAIA school in Kansas City...1,971 student (smaller than Watertown's Lake Area Technical Institute). Started in 1916...fairly selective enrollment requirements. Run by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (order of Catholic nuns who run a several schools including grade schools and high schools).

Congrats to the Yotes! Above 500 again for the season.
                Not like you to attack the Yotes,but I'll play along. First of all, it was a garbage game. No doubt. The idea behind it was this was the week we played only one conference game and our new coach felt we needed to keep playing. Thus Avila. I agree, bad game.

However, with the nice little smack .500 comment, I went back and reviewed your schedule. This was the Coyotes 2nd game against a non D1 opponent. How many have the Jacks played this year? As the NFL refereed says , upon further review, the Jacks played 4 non D1 opponents. 4. Whose padding the schedule?

Regarding the fan count. It was an error when they entered the number. It was 125. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Not like you to attack the Yotes,but I'll play along. First of all, it was a garbage game. No doubt. The idea behind it was this was the week we played only one conference game and our new coach felt we needed to keep playing. Thus Avila. I agree, bad game.

However, with the nice little smack .500 comment, I went back and reviewed your schedule. This was the Coyotes 2nd game against a non D1 opponent. How many have the Jacks played this year? As the NFL refereed says , upon further review, the Jacks played 4 non D1 opponents. 4. Whose padding the schedule?

Regarding the fan count. It was an error when they entered the number. It was 125. Lol
                  Two of those 4 were exhibition games that the Jacks played.

Comment

I count 2....Chadron State and Wayne State..........

Yote fan fail.

Comment

YFE
                      We are just having fun. If the Jacks played a non-conference game against say Presentation at this point in the seasons. I betcha we would be hearing Coyote YOKES too. (In my best Norweigian accent). Scheduling is not easy and not everyone wants to play USD since going D1. We feel your pain. Like I said its a good win for the entire state of South Dakota.

Comment

I hear that USD sports administrators expect 27,000 fans to attend the Jacks-Yotes game at the Dome on Feb. 28. Katy Perry and the Rubber Sharks might sing the national anthem.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Two of those 4 were exhibition games that the Jacks played.
                          Did you play them?

All I said is you played 4 non D1 teams

Comment

Did you play them?

All I said is you played 4 non D1 teams
                            Not exactly. You said we were padding our schedule. The two exibition games count zero towards our win total.

So not counting our two lower division wins we are 17-8 or 9 games over .500 against D1 teams.

How many games is USD over .500 against D1 teams?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Not exactly. You said we were padding our schedule. The two exibition games count zero towards our win total.

So not counting our two lower division wins we are 17-8 or 9 games over .500 against D1 teams.

How many games is USD over .500 against D1 teams?
                              i wasn't crowing about where we are. All I asked is how many you played? That's all.

If we padded the schedule at 2, you padded the schedule at 2. But the fact remains is you did play 2 more games, counters or not, against non D1 schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X