Emmerich/Alumni Invitational

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmerich/Alumni Invitational

The first Jim Emmerich / Alumni Invite was held yesterday (1/24/15) at the SJAC. Fabulous facility. I think all visiting coaches and athletes were impressed and there were some nice performances. One SDSU school record was set (women's triple jump: Jazzelana Black jumped 40', 3 1/5" to beat a record she already held). Nice crowd -- a distinguishing feature of the SJAC is the amount of spectator seating. Most indoor facilities provide seating for a few hundred. Lot of young people in attendance and it looked like football recruits watched the meet -- this facility will tip the balance in our favor for many recruits.

The video board showing pre-race lane assignments and immediate results for each race and event, is much bigger (and full color) than any video-results board at any track facility in the region.

The place is a game-changer.

Results are on gojacks.com

Last edited by JackJD; 01-25-2015, 04:22 PM.

Re: Emmerich/Alumni Invitational

I was at the meet and really enjoyed it. I know that athletes preregister for races but there were a ton of runners/relay teams that dropped out. In the 200m, one heat had 1 runner(supposed to be 5) and the next heat had 8 runners(5 or 6 from SDSU). It think it would have been better to have four one heat and five in the next but I guess it is what it is. I also found it interesting the Iowa central Community College seemed to be about the best team there. I know that SDSU doesn't have a ton of scholarships but I think they would have beat us or gave us a run for our money if team points were kept.
    The meet could have ended sooner but they needed to give the runners breaks so it was ran slower near the end. I think the meet went from noon until about 6:45 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
      In the 200m, one heat had 1 runner(supposed to be 5) and the next heat had 8 runners(5 or 6 from SDSU). It think it would have been better to have four one heat and five in the next but I guess it is what it is..
      Understand your point, but having worked the Howard Wood Relays the last 5 years that is easier said than done. When everything is computerized just combining heats at the last second (from late scratches or teams not informing race officials of scratches) is not easily done.
      Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 01-26-2015, 12:41 PM.

Comment

What a way to honor Jim Emmerich but to have an indoor track meet. If only he had this quality facility to train his athletes, we no doubt would have been much better. I remember him as a guy who never wore long sleeve shirts, but often wore t-shirts,

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          What a way to honor Jim Emmerich but to have an indoor track meet. If only he had this quality facility to train his athletes, we no doubt would have been much better. I remember him as a guy who never wore long sleeve shirts, but often wore t-shirts,
          They were pretty good...SDSU won an NAIA National Title under Coach Emmerich. (Pete Retzlaff darn near won it by himself....)

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I also found it interesting the Iowa central Community College seemed to be about the best team there. I know that SDSU doesn't have a ton of scholarships but I think they would have beat us or gave us a run for our money if team points were kept.
            The Iowa Central Tritons won the NJCAA Indoor Titles last season: that's both men and women. Outdoors, the Tritons were runnersup for the NJCAA titles -- that's men and women. They have some very good athletes and every year some of the Tritons go to major NCAA D1 Track and Field schools. SDSU Coach Dehaven made no bones about it in the Argus Leader: we were showing off the indoor facility to the Tritons...that's a recruiting tool.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              They were pretty good...SDSU won an NAIA National Title under Coach Emmerich. (Pete Retzlaff darn near won it by himself....)
              Oh yes the trophy was on display at Mikes Eat shoppe for a long time. Mikes Eat Shoppe is where the barbershop owned by Bob Melmer I think the Razor Edge in the old College Theater. I think Jim used to eat their often. Mike had good steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                The Iowa Central Tritons won the NJCAA Indoor Titles last season: that's both men and women. Outdoors, the Tritons were runnersup for the NJCAA titles -- that's men and women. They have some very good athletes and every year some of the Tritons go to major NCAA D1 Track and Field schools. SDSU Coach Dehaven made no bones about it in the Argus Leader: we were showing off the indoor facility to the Tritons...that's a recruiting tool.
                The Jacks received a commit from Iowa Central in middle distance runner, Josh Prohaska. He ran 1:55 in the 800 at the indoor meet. Committed on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                X