Jacks vs. Mizzou vs. Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacks vs. Mizzou vs. Minnesota

Some interesting comparisons following Mizzou's 33-17 win over Minnesota today. Very similar to Jacks' game in Columbia (38-18 loss) earlier this year and an interesting bookend to Missouri's season.

- Jacks gained 365 yards against Mizzou, Minnesota gained 373
    - Jacks gave up 393 yards against Mizzou, Minnesota 434
    - Jacks were down, 21-18, with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter, before giving up, unfotunately, a 100-yard kickoff return after getting within three, and Mizzou scored 10 late points
    - Minnesota was down, 19-17, with about 7 minutes to go in third quarter, before giving up 14 points late.

Re: Jacks vs. Mizzou vs. Minnesota

Good comparison.

We played so much of that game with an untested quarterback...good reason for confidence about next year.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Some interesting comparisons following Mizzou's 33-17 win over Minnesota today. Very similar to Jacks' game in Columbia (38-18 loss) earlier this year and an interesting bookend to Missouri's season.

- Jacks gained 365 yards against Mizzou, Minnesota gained 373
      - Jacks gave up 393 yards against Mizzou, Minnesota 434
      - Jacks were down, 21-18, with about 10 minutes left in the third quarter, before giving up, unfotunately, a 100-yard kickoff return after getting within three, and Mizzou scored 10 late points
      - Minnesota was down, 19-17, with about 7 minutes to go in third quarter, before giving up 14 points late.
      Plus, the Jacks played them on their home field. The Gophers didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
        Plus, the Jacks played them on their home field. The Gophers didn't.
        Good point

Comment

Good reason why comparative scores can be deceiving - Indiana beat Missouri in Columbia. So they should have been a top 20 team and played in a New Years Day bowl , right ? Well , they went 1-7 in the Big Ten and 4-8 overall , and obviously didn't qualify for any bowl game. Keep in mind this is coming from a very disappointed Gopher fan on the day after.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Good reason why comparative scores can be deceiving - Indiana beat Missouri in Columbia. So they should have been a top 20 team and played in a New Years Day bowl , right ? Well , they went 1-7 in the Big Ten and 4-8 overall , and obviously didn't qualify for any bowl game. Keep in mind this is coming from a very disappointed Gopher fan on the day after.
            You are right, of course. After the Jacks, I have been a Gophers fan since the 60's. There has been quite a bit of disappointment since then. How they could keep putting out NFL players when they always seemed to have such dismal to mediocre records, has always perplexed me. Does any one think that the top level of MVFC is close to parity with the lower level of Big 10?

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
              You are right, of course. After the Jacks, I have been a Gophers fan since the 60's. There has been quite a bit of disappointment since then. How they could keep putting out NFL players when they always seemed to have such dismal to mediocre records, has always perplexed me. Does any one think that the top level of MVFC is close to parity with the lower level of Big 10?
              Similar: Committed Jack fan but always want the Gophers to return to success. I think the top level of MVFC can play with the lower level of Big 10 but right now my guts say low-end B1G wins 6.5 to 7 out of 10. The problem is the depth provided by 85 scholarships vs the 63 at FCS level. We've proved our starters compare well to their starters but if starters get dinged up, they have a replacement about as good while a good FCS team will still have a measurable fall-off at several (not necessarily all) positions.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Similar: Committed Jack fan but always want the Gophers to return to success. I think the top level of MVFC can play with the lower level of Big 10 but right now my guts say low-end B1G wins 6.5 to 7 out of 10. The problem is the depth provided by 85 scholarships vs the 63 at FCS level. We've proved our starters compare well to their starters but if starters get dinged up, they have a replacement about as good while a good FCS team will still have a measurable fall-off at several (not necessarily all) positions.
                Exactly.

Comment

Comparing the first game of the season vs. the last makes zero sense. It doesn't mean anything.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    Comparing the first game of the season vs. the last makes zero sense. It doesn't mean anything.
                    It probably doesn't mean anything, but like using the Massey Ratings to pit high end Division II teams against no-win FBS teams, it's interesting.

Comment

Right wrong or otherwise. I believe that having less than relevant Gophers and Huskers teams is a good thing for our program. I'm curious if others share my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        It's sports, it's the offseason, it's a Fan Board, for chrissakes. Nothing on here is supposed to makes total sense.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          It's sports, it's the offseason, it's a Fan Board, for chrissakes. Nothing on here is supposed to makes total sense.
                          Yup no problem. I ripped a Yote fan for comparing Oregons win over Arizona to Oregons win over USD. I would have felt hypocritical if I hadn't done the same here.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Right wrong or otherwise. I believe that having less than relevant Gophers and Huskers teams is a good thing for our program. I'm curious if others share my thoughts.
                            I agree. I'm not a big fan of either of those programs.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

the yote fans were comparing their loss to Oregon to Florida States loss. Kind of like saying they can compete with Florida State. wouldnt brag about giving up 62 or 59.

Comment

Working...
                              X