MVFC v. the world,and the final supplanting of the Big Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVFC v. the world,and the final supplanting of the Big Sky

If UNI wins tonight with two other MVFC teams waiting in the second round - which would include five MVFC teams in the eight game - the FCS officials might want to consider just having the MVFC have a seeded playoff tournament and declare the champion from there. How many non-MVFC teams playing today would Youngstown have beaten?

Re: MVFC v. the world,and the final supplanting of the Big Sky

They thought the Ind St team may have folded on the other side of the bracket. It is too bad we could not have the teams balanced in the brackets. It was a good year for the MVFC.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Indiana State 36, Eastern Kentucky 16
      Go MVFC!

Comment

UNI kerblastificated Steve Austin, 44-10

Comment

Would like to see what the 5 remaining teams could do if 4 of them weren't facing each other in the second round.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
            Would like to see what the 5 remaining teams could do if 4 of them weren't facing each other in the second round.
            Exactly why it probably was planned to happen this way, the NCAA didn't want to know what would happen...LOL

Comment

Seems to me that after a couple more years of this MVFC domination it might be time for the NCAA to rethink the cheapskate, regionalization theory and get a playoff system with the 24 best teams, seeded 1-24.

This isn't 8th grade. Participation ribbons shouldn't be part of the deal here. San Diego? Sacred Heart? SFA? I saw a bunch of teams yesterday that couldn't win a game in the MVFC. Regionalization just puts the toughest teams against each other in the second round and assures that lousy teams can keep playing.

The four best MVFC teams face off in the second round. Meanwhile, a pretty shaky ISUb team gets a Southern Conference opponent.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                Seems to me that after a couple more years of this MVFC domination it might be time for the NCAA to rethink the cheapskate, regionalization theory and get a playoff system with the 24 best teams, seeded 1-24.

This isn't 8th grade. Participation ribbons shouldn't be part of the deal here. San Diego? Sacred Heart? SFA? I saw a bunch of teams yesterday that couldn't win a game in the MVFC. Regionalization just puts the toughest teams against each other in the second round and assures that lousy teams can keep playing.

The four best MVFC teams face off in the second round. Meanwhile, a pretty shaky ISUb team gets a Southern Conference opponent.
                Wait, what, there were participation trophies?

I agree.

Comment

If you don't want to play NDSU round 2 don't lose 4 regular season games. It really is a simple theory

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                    If you don't want to play NDSU round 2 don't lose 4 regular season games. It really is a simple theory

I think the point is as a seeding goes it would make it more even with who plays who not just becasue they are close together. Our mvcf mates have an easier draw just because of where the schools are located. To win it all you have to go thought ndsu but there are some other teams that have a much easier task of getting further. Frankly I would think ndsu would rather take some of those games instead of sdsu who can win it by cleaning up a few things. Imagine if the ncaa bball tounry placed teams only on a regional scale with no seeding or reason for it.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

I think the point is as a seeding goes it would make it more even with who plays who not just becasue they are close together. Our mvcf mates have an easier draw just because of where the schools are located. To win it all you have to go thought ndsu but there are some other teams that have a much easier task of getting further. Frankly I would think ndsu would rather take some of those games instead of sdsu who can win it by cleaning up a few things. Imagine if the ncaa bball tounry placed teams only on a regional scale with no seeding or reason for it.
                      Exactly, don't know how many times I've read where the Big Ten and other major conferences think they should get half the conference in the NCAA basketball Tournament because their conference is so tough. It irritates the heck out of them other conference champions get to play in it. I think in basketball, they even have a rule not having teams from the same conference have to meet each other until so far into the tournament. Can't remember the exact rule on that.

Comment

Bison centric thinking. Argument is against regionalization on the basis that the MVFC is considerably stronger than the other conferenced and conference are largely based on geographic regions. It seems unlikely that UNI would be playing Ill St and SDSU playing NDSU if not for regionalization.

A victory by SDSU Saturday knocks a pretty decent NDSU team out of the playoffs earlier than it should.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This is how NCAA playoffs have been for 30 years. Bison have played the following teams in the 1st 2 rounds since 1985, Mankato, UND, UNO, UNC, Augustana & SDSU along with Pitt State and NWMSU multiple times. Us bison fans are used to playing conference mates in the playoffs.

btw, SDSU is ranked 14th and NDSU is ranked 2/3 depending on who you ask. That seems to line up pretty nicely.

Comment

Worst part about all this, is, lets pretend SDSU loses on Saturday. (Just a hypothetical; not trying to smack) How much press coverage will this get in SD? Now, change the narrative and say SDSU is kept away from NDSU until the semi's, and then they lose to NDSU. In my mind, that would be a lot more press and more exposure for SDSU since also likely on national TV.

My point being is that SDSU, as the underdog, is really getting hosed. Now, if you win, excitement will be off the charts, but it is almost like the NCAA has stacked the deck against you to generate a bigger football following.

Just my two cents as an NDSU fan living in Sioux Falls. I just think your media coverage is so much worse than NDSU despite Terry V doing a stellar job and this playoff run is a real opportunity for SDSU to finally get some D1 coverage.

Comment

btw, SDSU is ranked 14th and NDSU is ranked 2/3 depending on who you ask. That seems to line up pretty nicely.
                              Don't want to pick on fellow NDSU folks, but they only good "polls" are AGS and Sagarin (which is not a poll). NDSU is #1 and SDSU is #4 per Sagarin. It is simply wrong to have to meet so soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X