Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's got to change? (obligatory meltdown thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's got to change? (obligatory meltdown thread)

What do we have to do as a program to avoid the "WTF?" game? Let's face it..the program has a history of being unable to perform in, let alone win the big games we are expected to win.

And this year it seems especially bad coming off a bye week (or two). I just don't get it. I went back to 2009 and listed the one game each season that had me and I'm sure others going WTF?

2014 - #9 SDSU vs #22 ISUr L 10-45
    2013 - #15 SDSU vs MSU L 21-35
    2012 - #20 SDSU vs UNI L 6-27
    2011 - We just weren't that good and all but 1 of our losses were blowouts
    2010 - #9 SDSU vs #16 Deleware L 3-26
    2009 - #3 SIU vs #9 SDSU L 34-15 (this one may not seem as bad since SIU was ranked #3, but still, the conference was on the line, they came into our house and we didn't even compete (remember, two scrap time tds got us to 15, it was really 34 to 3) (and then the Montana collapse)

It's just very frustrating seeing it year after year.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: What's got to change? (obligatory meltdown thread)

Missouri state game last year was the one for me. That was the game that should have kept us out of the playoffs until the uni kicker forgot how to kick and bailed us out of that game.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Yeah, and don't let the 2013 MSU score fool you. It was not as close as the 21-35 score makes it look...we got hammered.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Yeah, and don't let the 2013 MSU score fool you. It was not as close as the 21-35 score makes it look...we got hammered.
        We got out played all the way around. I am just hoping the next game they come out and totally redeem themselves(name that movie). As a team they usually find a way to finish strong. Maybe a sense of urgency kicks in with sumner maybe close to coming back maybe he plays big time football like we expected this year to be for him. Hopefully he gets a chance it would be ashame to think of the season that could have been. Looking forward to a good game next week.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Recruit better players. ... Actually, SDSU has done quite well, overall, since 2009. The Jacks have never been a doormat.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            Recruit better players. ... Actually, SDSU has done quite well, overall, since 2009. The Jacks have never been a doormat.
            Amen, as a rule we have been in the game, but if you dig yourself in hole like we did yesterday, you don't get out. No major changes are needed. Even the ISUr announcers on their streamer said SDSU had a very good program. Their coach was also very complimentary in his press conference. What coach takes the time to study all the game films of a running back named Zenner? Of course SDSU and ISU had not played in two years, but those hours of study paid off for Coach Spock.

Comment

Charlie Weiss is available and can afford to work for free. Follow the lead of the crew at usd.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                What do we have to do as a program to avoid the "WTF?" game? Let's face it..the program has a history of being unable to perform in, let alone win the big games we are expected to win.

And this year it seems especially bad coming off a bye week (or two). I just don't get it. I went back to 2009 and listed the one game each season that had me and I'm sure others going WTF?

2014 - #9 SDSU vs #22 ISUr L 10-45
                2013 - #15 SDSU vs MSU L 21-35
                2012 - #20 SDSU vs UNI L 6-27
                2011 - We just weren't that good and all but 1 of our losses were blowouts
                2010 - #9 SDSU vs #16 Deleware L 3-26
                2009 - #3 SIU vs #9 SDSU L 34-15 (this one may not seem as bad since SIU was ranked #3, but still, the conference was on the line, they came into our house and we didn't even compete (remember, two scrap time tds got us to 15, it was really 34 to 3) (and then the Montana collapse)

It's just very frustrating seeing it year after year.
                Really about Delaware in 2010? No way that was a WTF game. #16 beating a #9 is not a large upset. Plus that Delaware team was good. Anyhow...

The new facilities are going to help with the recruits. Already have I think. One game is not time to panic, especially playing your #2 QB. Losing your #1 QB and playing as well as the Jack have until Saturday, I think that is quite a good accomplishment.

We need/needed Austin to compete against the really good teams.

Whatever happened to that ridiculous post about who starts when Austin is healthy???

Comment

I as well find it interesting that there hasnt been any talk about who will start when Austin comes back as well.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                    I as well find it interesting that there hasnt been any talk about who will start when Austin comes back as well.
                    Check "Austin's Recovery" Thread from a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      Whatever happened to that ridiculous post about who starts when Austin is healthy???
                      Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                      If I recall correctly, the vast majority of those comments were "what if" posts. As in, what if Lujan was performing at a really high level when Austin is cleared to play, would we go back to Sumner?

When Austin went down, I figured he would be the starter again once healthy because I felt he was the best QB on the roster and one of the leaders of this team, but at the same time, I didn't think he was entitled to it either.

In my opinion, at the time of the injury, it was just as asinine to declare there was nothing Lujan could do to keep the job once Austin was cleared to play as it was to declare Lujan the starter regardless of Austin's health.

That being said, after seeing Lujan for 4 games, it is pretty safe to say that a healthy Austin Sumner behind center gives this team the best chance to win.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        Check "Austin's Recovery" Thread from a couple of weeks ago.
                        So when will he be back?

I said my piece on that topic and have ignored it. Sorry.

Thanks for the update. Even if it is two weeks old. Is there hope Austin can be back soon?

It would be nice if TV would find out the timeline. (I have to be careful, or I'll start a firestorm about what a great reporter TV is....)

Comment

Really about Delaware in 2010? No way that was a WTF game. #16 beating a #9 is not a large upset. Plus that Delaware team was good. Anyhow...

The new facilities are going to help with the recruits. Already have I think. One game is not time to panic, especially playing your #2 QB. Losing your #1 QB and playing as well as the Jack have until Saturday, I think that is quite a good accomplishment.

1-We need/needed Austin to compete against the really good teams.

2-Whatever happened to that ridiculous post about who starts when Austin is healthy???
                          1-Guarantee the team doesn't have that mentality. If true, we might as well forfeit until Austin can play again because the MVFC is full of really good teams.

2-Define healthy. I have real reservations about expecting much more from an 85% healthy Austin on a weak planting foot. I will defer to the coaching staff on who is best to start when Austin comes back.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            1-Guarantee the team doesn't have that mentality. If true, we might as well forfeit until Austin can play again because the MVFC is full of really good teams.

2-Define healthy. I have real reservations about expecting much more from an 85% healthy Austin on a weak planting foot. I will defer to the coaching staff on who is best to start when Austin comes back.
                            Your logic is giving me a headache.

1. The team doesn't give a rat's donkey about what I think. It is what I think. Not what the team thinks. Talk about a leap in coherency.... Isn't a Board about opinions? Wow... ok I'll dumb it done if I have to. I think, not the team thinks, that the Jacks need a healthy Austin to win tough road games, especially when they get down 14 - 0 due to a fumble by their All American RB and a fumbled snap by their 2cnd string QB. My opinion. By the way. I'm positive Stig and the team thinks otherwise. Trust me, they don't consult me.

2. Healthy is when the Dr.'s and trainers, not the coaching staff, determines that Austin can play. I think, in my opinion, that a 85% healthy Austin, provided he is cleared by the Dr's, is better than a 100% Lajune.

Comment

Your logic is giving me a headache.

1. The team doesn't give a rat's donkey about what I think. It is what I think. Not what the team thinks. Talk about a leap in coherency.... Isn't a Board about opinions? Wow... ok I'll dumb it done if I have to. I think, not the team thinks, that the Jacks need a healthy Austin to win tough road games, especially when they get down 14 - 0 due to a fumble by their All American RB and a fumbled snap by their 2cnd string QB. My opinion. By the way. I'm positive Stig and the team thinks otherwise. Trust me, they don't consult me.

2. Healthy is when the Dr.'s and trainers, not the coaching staff, determines that Austin can play. I think, in my opinion, that a 85% healthy Austin, provided he is cleared by the Dr's, is better than a 100% Lajune.
                              Uh, that's definitely not what happened.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                              X