ZZ on Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZ on Top

Going to start this unique thread that I hope grows and grows during the season, sort of along the lines of Naters Gonna Nate.

Here is a question:

Has Zenner had as much impact on the football program in D-1 era as Wolters had on the men's basketball program? Does he have to be drafted relatively highly to cinch it? Or has he done enough already?

Re: ZZ on Top

If Zenner rushes for over 2000 yards again, I would say that the comparison has some merit. I still will have to give the edge to Nate. Getting drafted into the NBA is difficult enough. There are only two rounds compared to the seven in the NFL. On top of this, Wolters got considerable playing time in a sport where only five are on the court. in football there are over four times that amount, and I don't see Zenner playing much as a rookie if he gets drafted.
    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Hard to compare the two in their respective sports.

Being 1 of 5, Wolters has a greater individual impact than Zenner does on a starting team of 22 and also brought the team from being under .500 and perennially struggling to a tourney team while the football team had some success by winning the Great West Conference and earning a playoff appearance prior to Zenner breaking onto the scene.

Both will be all-time greats, but Wolter's will leave a greater legacy IMHO.

Comment

It's too early to tell. At this stage, Zenner is probably on par with where Wolters was before his senior season. If Zenner gets drafted and enjoys a good, multi-year career in the NFL as a running back, he probably would trump Wolters' accomplishments simply because pro football is a bigger sport nationally than pro basketball. Of course, if Wolters develops into a NBA stud, the bar will be very high.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Someday ZZ will be the Surgeon General, and his career in the NFL will be dwarfed by all those miraculous things he has accomplished in the medical field. He is a Nater and more.

Comment

fun discussion to have. if he breaks 2000 yards only SDSU back to do it 3 times obviously. If he breaks 2055 yards and breaks Raneks single season record, and if he goes crazy and a deep playoff run gets 2215 or more to tie or break Raneks all time record. One of those things has to happen first, and then to get drafted. Its fun to see some of the all time greats come through SDSU around the same time. As great as Zenner and Sumner have been, I look forward to the thought that someone down the road can break their records or accomplish more individually and as a team then they have so far. Same with Wolters. He was great, but I am looking forward to the next 2000 point scorer and the guy on a team who can lead us past the first round of the NCAA tourny. or get us back to back to back trips.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

No. Nate was a bigger impact on the court greater to what Zenner was (mostly because one guy has more effect in basketball than football) and off the court as well. Do we forget how big his celebrity was in Brookings that last year? His face was on a t-shirt. I don't know if I could pick Zenner out of a crowd (again, basketball players are more visible). Zenner will get some recognition this year, but because of the FCS/FBS thing, rarely can our football team reach more eyes than the basketball team when they have success. NDSU last year was a massive exception.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Some great stuff here. Here is my further two cents. For as bad as the basketball conversion was early, the football team had further to come, historically, to being considered a FCS power, which it is now. ZZ impact cushiuoned somewhat because Batten was the early face of football ascension, so the fact that Zener sharews with him probably dilutes him a little. But 2,000 yard seasons consecutively is also Walter Payton stuff at this level. I agree with those who say if he has a third season like the last two AND the team does well he's on par with Wolters in the SDSU context.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Going to start this unique thread that I hope grows and grows during the season, sort of along the lines of Naters Gonna Nate.

Here is a question:

Has Zenner had as much impact on the football program in D-1 era as Wolters had on the men's basketball program? Does he have to be drafted relatively highly to cinch it? Or has he done enough already?

No. Nate was an All-American at the highest level of D-1 in his sport and was drafted.

For ZZ to match he'll have to become a regular in the NFL after becoming drafted. Long ways to go for that.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    No. Nate was an All-American at the highest level of D-1 in his sport and was drafted.

For ZZ to match he'll have to become a regular in the NFL after becoming drafted. Long ways to go for that.
                    But did Nate do cancer research during the summer months while on campus? I think there is a lot of life after the athletic career is completed. But if we are soley concerned with the uhhhs and awes of athletics in this discussion then I suppose we have no choice but to declare Nate the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      But did Nate do cancer research during the summer months while on campus? I think there is a lot of life after the athletic career is completed. But if we are soley concerned with the uhhhs and awes of athletics in this discussion then I suppose we have no choice but to declare Nate the winner.
                      Are you saying Nate is not intelligent? Just because Nate isnt gonna be a doctor (or has done "cancer research") doesnt mean he is less of a student than zz.

Nates dad is in the computer science field. I dont think the smart gene skipped Nate.

Comment

This thread makes me chuckle.

Nate led our basketball team to back to back NCAA tourneys (The highest level in basketball). ZZ has led us to a first round win in the FCS playoffs (glorified DII, lets be real its not the highest level) twice. For those of you who think im nuts. How many big schools has the football team beaten? How about basketball? New Mexico and Washington ring a bell?

If ZZ leads us to the semis this year he has a case.

Comment

Agreed, the football success has been fun but the basketball accomplishments are literally in a completely different league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Are you saying Nate is not intelligent? Just because Nate isnt gonna be a doctor (or has done "cancer research") doesnt mean he is less of a student than zz.

Nates dad is in the computer science field. I dont think the smart gene skipped Nate.
                            No. We have heard little of his classroom accomplishments. It's been Nate this and Nate that on the BB court. I would assume he was a good student as well as an athlete. As a total person, I pick ZZ.

I am quickly bored with this discussion and will not be posting anything in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              No. We have heard little of his classroom accomplishments. It's been Nate this and Nate that on the BB court. I would assume he was a good student as well as an athlete. As a total person, I pick ZZ. Both were dedicated while on campus.

I am quickly bored with this discussion and will not be posting anything in the future.

Thank goodness we didn't have to choose one or the other.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X