USD Recruiting 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Recruiting 2015

I've always felt we've had better results in recruiting than USD since we made the jump to D1, and even thought the gap could be widening. We've had a great summer with commitments and I've hardly heard a peep from USD.

However, they got a really good verbal yesterday. It's conditional based on if he gets a better offer, but Calvin Strong from Omaha North tweeted yesterday that he is heading to Vermillion. This kid may not have the top end speed, but he looks like he could be a long time contributor and even a potential star in the MVFC. Strong ran for over 3,000 yards and 43 TDs last season! This is against the best players in Nebraska and he was the key element in their state championship. He is a 3-star recruit according to rivals and most recruiting services rank him in the top 100 at running back.

If they close the deal on him, they could have the start to a very good recruiting class.

Rivals

24/7

Re: USD Recruiting 2015

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    I've always felt we've had better results in recruiting than USD since we made the jump to D1, and even thought the gap could be widening. We've had a great summer with commitments and I've hardly heard a peep from USD.

However, they got a really good verbal yesterday. It's conditional based on if he gets a better offer, but Calvin Strong from Omaha North tweeted yesterday that he is heading to Vermillion. This kid may not have the top end speed, but he looks like he could be a long time contributor and even a potential star in the MVFC. Strong ran for over 3,000 yards and 43 TDs last season! This is against the best players in Nebraska and he was the key element in their state championship. He is a 3-star recruit according to rivals and most recruiting services rank him in the top 100 at running back.

If they close the deal on him, they could have the start to a very good recruiting class.

Rivals

24/7

I saw saw that too and wondered if it was conditional. Seems like a good get for USD. He's had some off field issues hasn't he which may be turning off a few of the bigger schools?
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      I saw saw that too and wondered if it was conditional. Seems like a good get for USD. He's had some off field issues hasn't he which may be turning off a few of the bigger schools?
      He has had trouble with the law and there is more than a little concern about his ACT score. My understanding, his current ACT score will not qualify him for a FBS scholarship. He is taking it again this October and if he does well enough he expects to accept a FBS offer. This is info I've gotten from others and I can't definitely confirm but the sources are pretty reliable. Its a "conditional" verbal in a number of ways.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Watched some of last night's Class A Nebraska Championship and Calvin Strong was a beast! If he qualifies academically and avoids legal problems as MD eludes to, this guy could significantly improve their running game. He appears to have good vision, is decisive in hitting holes, and has enough speed to not be run down by some of Nebraska's faster high school players. His low center of gravity and big legs makes him difficult to bring down. If their coach can stick around and develop some fat boys up front, this guy would be a nice compliment to Earl in the backfield and could make their offense competitive.

The commentators were talking at the end of the game that this could possibly be the most dominant Class A team in Nebraska history. 3 or 4 D1 players on the roster and their only two close games were because of turnovers and unusual defensive schemes. They outscored their opponents in the playoffs 193 - 44. Their closest playoff game was a 34 point win and all games were essentially over at halftime.

Comment

Two pieces posted on the Argus Leader site 12/24/14 on USD football -- this thread is about recruiting and the articles are broader than that but recruiting is mentioned.
          Interview with Coach Glenn "Winning Requires Patience": http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...-usd/20876557/
          "Budget No Barrier to Winning": http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...says/20878539/

Comment

What a couple of freakin' fluff pieces those were. I was expecting at least ONE tough question out of Mick, considering this team has 3 wins in 3 years in the MVFC.
            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I like that he references the Coyote Village as being attractive. It is and will go down as the biggest piece of **** the board of regents have ever authorized.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                I like that he references the Coyote Village as being attractive. It is and will go down as the biggest piece of **** the board of regents have ever authorized.
                Could you explain more?
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Could you explain more?
                  I was at the regents meeting when Coyote Village was approved. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of apprehension about the quality of the building because the cost was pretty low for what they said they were getting. Morris, I believe, was especially caught up with some of the cheap materials that were being used. However, in the end they approved it.

Since then, there has been the major water line break that forced residents to move out. I had a friend who lived there and he said there were several other water outages because of smaller breaks throughout his two years living in the building. This may be normal. I know that SDSU often has water outages in the summer for steam pipe upgrades/repairs. There is also the problem that a quarter of the apartments do not have kitchens. If you are living in upper division student housing, you want to be able to cook your own food and I know this has been one of the major reasons that they have not yet filled Coyote Village.

Maybe my statement about it being the biggest POS is a bit of an exaggeration. They look nice from the outside, but when you go in, it is obviously they cut every corner they could.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I was at the regents meeting when Coyote Village was approved. If I remember correctly, there was a lot of apprehension about the quality of the building because the cost was pretty low for what they said they were getting. Morris, I believe, was especially caught up with some of the cheap materials that were being used. However, in the end they approved it.

Since then, there has been the major water line break that forced residents to move out. I had a friend who lived there and he said there were several other water outages because of smaller breaks throughout his two years living in the building. This may be normal. I know that SDSU often has water outages in the summer for steam pipe upgrades/repairs. There is also the problem that a quarter of the apartments do not have kitchens. If you are living in upper division student housing, you want to be able to cook your own food and I know this has been one of the major reasons that they have not yet filled Coyote Village.

Maybe my statement about it being the biggest POS is a bit of an exaggeration. They look nice from the outside, but when you go in, it is obviously they cut every corner they could.
                    Thanks, didnt know that. Just know they took out a bunch of trailors there to build it and it looks nice from the outside. Didnt know they were having trouble filling it. Frankly I think the BOR takes it easy on things at sdsu while not being as accomodating to SDSU. A few things I can think of is the title 9 requirements were set differently when they went D-1, Also maybe someone else can fill in, but when they started building the med school new builds a few years back they apparently were short funds after everything was started and basically said to the state well we dont have the money so help us finish paying for it...well something to that effect anyway.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

In fairness and in somewhat of a comparison, the Berg and Bailey apartment complexes (if they are even that anymore) are/were not exactly the crown jewels of on-campus living.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        In fairness and in somewhat of a comparison, the Berg and Bailey apartment complexes (if they are even that anymore) are/were not exactly the crown jewels of on-campus living.
                        I lived in Bailey my sophomore year (had dorm overcrowding so they opened it up to 2nd year students until Caldwell was built) and Berg my junior, senior, and super senior years and really enjoyed the room setup and the ability to walk to my classes. Also, never once had a maintenance issue or saw a leak of any sort during my stay, so they must not have been built too cheap.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          I lived in Bailey my sophomore year (had dorm overcrowding so they opened it up to 2nd year students until Caldwell was built) and Berg my junior, senior, and super senior years and really enjoyed the room setup and the ability to walk to my classes. Also, never once had a maintenance issue or saw a leak of any sort during my stay, so they must not have been built too cheap.
                          My point was that dormitories/on-campus living isn't expected to be "lavish". Berg and Bailey got the job done and were functional, but there was certainly no wow factor to them.

They also had black mold issues, the full extent of which was never fully disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            Yeah I dont think they were built to be the crown jewel or to be a focus for recruiting students. Originally I think they were thought of to provide some upperclassmen a place to stay on campus thats really not much different they appartment living in Brookings. Just they are close and walking distance of campus. I lived in Berg for a year and no complaints. 4 guys in one appartment with a bathroom and kitchen and big enough living room, each had own bedroom. Not much to complain about to me. Compared to what ammenities students expect now, they are probably looking less then ideal, but they serve their purpose well. Now if the new dorms they built had complaints about it thats a different story. Living in Berg and picking roommates was a lot better then living in Young even though I probably had way to much fun in the dorms.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                              My point was that dormitories/on-campus living isn't expected to be "lavish". Berg and Bailey got the job done and were functional, but there was certainly no wow factor to them.

They also had black mold issues, the full extent of which was never fully disclosed.
                              Okay, I see what your saying. My point was that, though they weren't lavish, they weren't built by cutting a ton of corners, either. Functional sometimes can be interpreted as "cheap," and I don't feel like that was an adequate description of the Berg/Bailey Complex from my experience.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X