• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader article

Pretty quiet on here.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...cess/10507781/

Re: Argus Leader article

Pretty typical for turnover in most programs. Primarily regional kids leaving.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
      TV commented on this in his blog and on twitter. Not something you want to happen but something you know can happen. Coach Stig at a lot of events mentioned the interesting stories of some of these recruits and now we see what can happen when recruits have interesting stories.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Only seems like a big loss from the hype we heard about um. Just seems some years more then others takes a hit with players not panning out for one reason or another.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It could be that we have ignored NW Iowa.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 06-19-2014, 01:11 PM.

Comment

The 2013 class already has 3 players that were too good to keep off the field as true freshmen, so it's not like the class is a lost cause. While depth is important, that doesn't mean that this class can't provide quality to the team now and in the future.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

What was the class a few years ago that really bombed out. There were some guys I think were expected to be big parts but grades and such really had a rough class.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                What was the class a few years ago that really bombed out. There were some guys I think were expected to be big parts but grades and such really had a rough class.
                What is the tired cliché? Recruiting is a crap shoot. You are dealing with 18-22 year olds, who can't make up their mind over being a fireman or a lawyer, plus they have hormones which make life lasting decisions in a number of cases. Every year and every class seems to show promise, but then a bunch of things come into play. Yes there was a class that bombed, but I have not been keeping track the last few years. These guys are students who are feeling their way into adulthood and SDSU does not work for everyone. I am happy with the guys Coach Stig has been able to retain, like Winston Wright. Even if he bombs in the NFL, he will no doubt succeed in life after football.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  2009. But the class did not bomb out. From TV at the Argus Leader:
                  "The 2009 recruiting class began as 18 scholarship players added on signing day – 16 high school seniors and two transfers. Only eight stuck it out to the end.
                  However, all eight wound up as starters. Five were all-conference picks. Two got shots in the NFL."
                  This space for lease.

Comment

This is exactly why I don't get too jacked up about the football recruits. It seems like more often than not most or our hyped recruits don't pan out.

For instance, that Bridgeport Tusler kid from last year. Wasn't he the Mn high school player of the year? I think we were all pretty jacked to get him to commit then he doesn't sniff the field and leaves after one year.

I don't worry much about the turnover. We will be ok.

Comment

Generally, they say, of a recruiting class:
                      1/3 never are heard from -- quit the team or leave school for various reasons
                      1/3 hardly see the field or are minor contributors due to injury or talent level
                      1/3 become starters and/or are solid contributors

Over time, that sounds about right.
                      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think we are all on the same page here. I agree with Montana, we will be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                          Generally, they say, of a recruiting class:
                          1/3 never are heard from -- quit the team or leave school for various reasons
                          1/3 hardly see the field or are minor contributors due to injury or talent level
                          1/3 become starters and/or are solid contributors

Over time, that sounds about right.
                          I think that's about right. It's interesting how many "can't miss" prospects/recruits/draft picks, etc are complete busts. It's almost impossible to accurately predict what an athlete will become. How many recruiters thought Tyler Starr or Nate Wolters would turn into what they did? They likely wouldn't have been at USD and SDSU had people known then what they know now.

Comment

What was surprising in my mind, is that we pretty much took Starr out of every play last fall. He did not seem to do much against us. The NFL experts apparently still thought him to have talent, and so far that proves to be correct. There was that show off guy from Oklahoma a few years Boze something like that. A real loud mouth, played maybe a year for Seattle SeaHawks. The NFL seems to have ways of taking care of loud mouth rookies. I am not saying Starr fits in this class but with his long hair he comes close.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              What was surprising in my mind, is that we pretty much took Starr out of every play last fall. He did not seem to do much against us. The NFL experts apparently still thought him to have talent, and so far that proves to be correct. There was that show off guy from Oklahoma a few years Boze something like that. A real loud mouth, played maybe a year for Seattle SeaHawks. The NFL seems to have ways of taking care of loud mouth rookies. I am not saying Starr fits in this class but with his long hair he comes close.
                              Brian Bozworth (sp?) he was and still is a bit off. I don't think Barry Switzer did much to help the young man mature.

Tyler Starr seems to be a hard working Iowa kid that is making the most of an opportunity to play at the highest level. He is working hard and I think he is trying his best to do what is needed of him to make a roster. I'd love to see him playing in the NFL. He is a recruit with some potential issues that turned out to be a star and not a bust.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X