Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Gwynn

http://deadspin.com/i-was-tony-gwynn...1592123043/all

Good read about Tony. I remember watching him when I was young. Seemed he was chasing .400 about every year. Dude could rake.

Re: Tony Gwynn

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    http://deadspin.com/i-was-tony-gwynn...1592123043/all

Good read about Tony. I remember watching him when I was young. Seemed he was chasing .400 about every year. Dude could rake.
    Loved Tony Gwynn as a player and after his playing career. He consistently hit for a higher average than anyone in the modern era of baseball. Ted Williams is the only guy even close. He may have hit for .400 if not for the strike in 1994. Sad to see him go at such a young age.

I am not here to start an argument or dispute that smokeless tobacco is bad for you, it clearly is. However, the cause for salivary gland cancer (which is what I understand Tony suffered from) is not well understood and not linked to the use of smokeless tobacco. I think the media is being a little irresponsible by not providing accurate information. That said, I would like to see smokeless tobacco banned in the major professional sport. I think it sets a bad example for young fans.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Two of my favorite players growing up were Kirby Puckett and Tony Gwynn. Hard to believe they are both gone now, really makes a guy start to feel old.

RIP Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Loved Tony Gwynn as a player and after his playing career. He consistently hit for a higher average than anyone in the modern era of baseball. Ted Williams is the only guy even close. He may have hit for .400 if not for the strike in 1994. Sad to see him go at such a young age.

I am not here to start an argument or dispute that smokeless tobacco is bad for you, it clearly is. However, the cause for salivary gland cancer (which is what I understand Tony suffered from) is not well understood and not linked to the use of smokeless tobacco. I think the media is being a little irresponsible by not providing accurate information. That said, I would like to see smokeless tobacco banned in the major professional sport. I think it sets a bad example for young fans.
        No doubt Gynn was one of the all time greats in baseball. The cancer of the salivary glands is something I never have encountered but then I am not an MD. Is this a rare form of cancer since we know so little?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          No doubt Gynn was one of the all time greats in baseball. The cancer of the salivary glands is something I never have encountered but then I am not an MD. Is this a rare form of cancer since we know so little?
          Very rare form of cancer and very little is understood about it. Genetics appears to play the biggest role. Radiation to the head and neck for other cancers appears to increase the risk. Smoking is associated with a certain type of salivary gland tumor. Certain viral infections may increase a person's risk. Again, its such a rare cancer that there aren't may cases to study.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
          X