• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Tressel named YSU President

Jim Tressel is back at YSU

http://www.ysunews.com/ysu-board-nam...sel-president/

Re: Jim Tressel named YSU President

I wonder how many university presidents have that kind of extensive background in athletics? He has an impressive resume.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I wonder how many university presidents have that kind of extensive background in athletics? He has an impressive resume.
      That he does, but he also comes with some bad marks during his time with OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
        That he doesalmophe also comes with some bad marks during his time with OSU.
        That's the odd component. The Tressel family has deep connections with YSU which apparently are deep enough to patch over Coach Tressel's refusal to play by the rules when at OSU.

Another oddity: Tressel's degree is a Master'S degree, not a doctoral degree. That's highly unusual at the level of President of a university. He was in contention for the position in 2013 but was not selected. The guy who was selected left for the Presidency of Southern Illinois after about eight months at YSU and then Tressel became President. He is still under sanctions from the NCAA but that only applies to coaching and he has announced he will not be involved in coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          That's the odd component. The Tressel family has deep connections with YSU which apparently are deep enough to patch over Coach Tressel's refusal to play by the rules when at OSU.

Another oddity: Tressel's degree is a Master'S degree, not a doctoral degree. That's highly unusual at the level of President of a university. He was in contention for the position in 2013 but was not selected. The guy who was selected left for the Presidency of Southern Illinois after about eight months at YSU and then Tressel became President. He is still under sanctions from the NCAA but that only applies to coaching and he has announced he will not be involved in coaching.
          Do you have a source relating to the family connections? Just curious and want to know more !! No big deal if you can't produce a link. I do agree about getting the job with only a masters, that's unusual. I had thought Jim Abbott lacked a doctorate but not according to Wiki:

Abbott was named president of his alma mater, the University of South Dakota, in 1997. Abbott received his bachelor's degree in 1970 and his Juris Doctor in 1974 from USD.[1] In 2002, Abbott took a leave of absence from the presidency to seek to Democratic nomination for Governor of South Dakota. Abbott easily won the nomination, but was defeated in the general election by Republican Mike Rounds. After the election, Abbott returned to the presidency of the University of South Dakota. end quote.

Jim is doing a great job at USD.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM.

Comment

It is becoming more and more common to hire non-academics as university presidents. I'm a lot more alarmed about his questionable ethics as a football coach than I am about his lack of a Ph.D. He withheld information about NCAA violations from his bosses (the university president and athletic director). Seems to me that if you are disqualified from being a football coach, you are probably also a questionable choice as a university president. He's not even eligible to be a football coach because of an NCAA show cause ruling that goes through 2016. I'm guessing he isn't even allowed to interact with football players. So naturally, he's now a university president. He'll be basically a figurehead, raising money since he doesn't know squat about academics. I'm sure the YSU faculty is thrilled [/snark]
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

What I read in Wiki was the questionable ethics involved the exchange of rings and memorabilia for tattoos. It went back as far as 2002. As we will see out in Wyoming, there is a leap from D-1AA to D1. You have 22 more people on scholarships and a host of boosters to deal with plus a more demanding administration. I have a feeling that it was mismanagement of student athletes in what went on. They said the NCAA found infractions back as far as 2002, which is the starting year for Tressel at OSU. Apparently, he did not pay attention to people who pointed out that this was going on. It was different than YSU in terms of managing people. If something like this was going on at SDSU, I think Coach Stig would soon know about and would have taken corrective action. The pressures of winning won out over detection of wrong doing and taking corrective action.

The reason I mention Wyoming is Craig Bohl will be in a completely different world than what he experienced in Fargo ND. Just my opinion. Plus, the pressures are not the same at both levels.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: grammer corrections.

Comment

Nidaros, you edited your grammar corrections?
                Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
                  Nidaros, you edited your grammar corrections?
                  Why yes, its the proper thing to do.

Comment

I appreciate that!!
                    Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                    X